Eastleigh (Away) The Away Fans Still Matter Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Roy57

Re: Eastleigh (Away) The Away Fans Still Matter Match Thread

At this rate we will be playing Sat- Tues- Thurs - soon. Bloody weather, we have played the fewest games in the top 11 sides, we have three games in hand of a 8 clubs, four games in hand of one club and five games in hand of Maidstone.
ETBee

Accuweather says in Eastleigh it's 5 degrees and drizzling and that by 10 pm the temperature will get up to 7 degrees. I'm sure the game could have been played. Are the refs who do the inspections scared that if they give the OK and a player gets injured they'll get sued?
becbee

I can't believe that anybody would be so insulting and patronising as to say "loyal away supporters martyrdom."

Derek - Have you ever driven round M25 and M3 during the rush hour, or tried getting home on public transport after an evening match there?
becbee

ETBee wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 17:24 Accuweather says in Eastleigh it's 5 degrees and drizzling and that by 10 pm the temperature will get up to 7 degrees. I'm sure the game could have been played. Are the refs who do the inspections scared that if they give the OK and a player gets injured they'll get sued?
We are all disappointed that the match is off but with respect, it's ridiculous for us to make judgement on the state of a pitch that we've not seen in a town nearly 100 miles away.
barnetjohn

It's frustrating that the game is off. Fair play to Eastleigh who pulled out all the stops and made every effort to get the game on when it was freezing weather.

I really feel for those who had rejigged arrangements at the last minute and then had the game called off. At least it wasn't just before kickoff but very frustrating nevertheless.

Questions could well be asked about why the league scheduled midweek games in January when cold snaps are likely. Probably better to front load midweek fixtures into warmer part of season.
Tuesds

barnetjohn wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 18:02 It's frustrating that the game is off. Fair play to Eastleigh who pulled out all the stops and made every effort to get the game on when it was freezing weather.

I really feel for those who had rejigged arrangements at the last minute and then had the game called off. At least it wasn't just before kickoff but very frustrating nevertheless.

Questions could well be asked about why the league scheduled midweek games in January when cold snaps are likely. Probably better to front load midweek fixtures into warmer part of season.
Good point about front-loading fixtures. I might be wrong, but even taking into account the postponements, it feels like the fixture list was less front-loaded this season than it has been in the past in the Conference, allowing less slack in the calendar later in the season.

I’m pretty sure that in our title-winning 14/15 season, for example, our new year’s match vs Aldershot was the 29th or 30th game, and hence we were around 2/3 of the way through our fixtures by the new year.
pgbee

Tuesds wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 18:36
barnetjohn wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 18:02 It's frustrating that the game is off. Fair play to Eastleigh who pulled out all the stops and made every effort to get the game on when it was freezing weather.

Good point about front-loading fixtures. I might be wrong, but even taking into account the postponements, it feels like the fixture list was less front-loaded this season than it has been in the past in the Conference, allowing less slack in the calendar later in the season.

I’m pretty sure that in our title-winning 14/15 season, for example, our new year’s match vs Aldershot was the 29th or 30th game, and hence we were around 2/3 of the way through our fixtures by the new year.
Surely front loading fixtures before players are fully match fit on potentially firm pitches is a consideration? Would benefit clubs with large squads.
Roy57

ETBee wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 17:24 Accuweather says in Eastleigh it's 5 degrees and drizzling and that by 10 pm the temperature will get up to 7 degrees. I'm sure the game could have been played. Are the refs who do the inspections scared that if they give the OK and a player gets injured they'll get sued?
I thought the same, I am in Kent and it's been raining since 5pm. Checked two weather apps and it said same in Eastleigh, so would of thought with temp around 5-6 degrees, and raining thought that would stop pitch from being frozen, I do agree we are not there and have no idea what the condition of the pitch is in. But like most annoyed and our third game on the trot being postponed, and concerned with back log of games we are going to have. Cannot expect any team except Chelsea or Man City coping, as this will just see us get huge injury list.
Anthony

pgbee wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 19:05
Tuesds wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 18:36

Surely front loading fixtures before players are fully match fit on potentially firm pitches is a consideration? Would benefit clubs with large squads.
I wonder if the TV deal with BT Sport is a factor. I don’t think BT had the rights to the Champions league in 14/15. They certainly didn’t have the Conference League rights (as it didn’t exist then) They may have preferred the early months of the season to include the various European group games without trying to accommodate conference fixtures.
DerekRocholl

jerroll wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 17:01
DerekRocholl wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 16:44
barnetjohn wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 19:33
DerekRocholl wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 17:52
Given that you can get a train from Waterloo at 5.35 pm that gets to Eastleigh before 7pm don’t you think you might be over playing the loyal away supporter’s martyrdom angle on this one ?
Yes it just about possible to get down there by train if you leave Waterloo at 5:35. But not everyone works near Waterloo- and it might not be possible to knock off work early enough to get the train down there. Re-arranging shifts, rotas, meetings etc at 48 hours notice isn't always possible. Plus, getting back by train from Eastleigh is tricky given time of last train and the distance back to the station. If people have to drive down as a result, that might require further changes to working patterns etc.

I've said earlier on this thread that I think moving the game to Wed was the right decision- but equally I have a lot of sympathy for the situation faced by many fans who are travelling down there. Respect to those fans (of whom I am not one) who are willing to travel down to a difficult to reach midweek game in the freezing cold, having to re-arrange plans at short notice, for a game that could still get called off, perhaps shortly before kick off.

Anyone making the trip is a proper hardcore fan and I take my hat off to them. I'm very grateful that there are Bees fans going down to there to support the team and provide vocal backing. I appreciate you might feel moving to Wednesday is the right decision (as I do) but I don't think it's fair to have a go at the people who are making big efforts to get down there at short notice. They have my admiration and respect.
Yes good on anyone who backs the team home and away but in this case I was using the train times to demonstrate that it isn’t the same as a long distance game. Unless people are deciding to make a day of it the car journey isn’t particularly lengthy for most people either. The fact that getting back by train is a challenge is the same whatever evening it is played.
I challenge you to finish work in Potters Bar at 5.30 pm and get to Eastleigh by 7.45 by public transport?
Is it easier to do on a Tuesday than a Wednesday ?
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 17:38 I can't believe that anybody would be so insulting and patronising as to say "loyal away supporters martyrdom."

Derek - Have you ever driven round M25 and M3 during the rush hour, or tried getting home on public transport after an evening match there?
Yes and I don’t see why it makes any difference whether it is a Tuesday or a Wednesday. My issue was with the opening post accusing the club of having scant regard for away supporters by trying to get this game arranged this week. I note you have expressed a similar defence of the club’s decision in your posts elsewhere.
Bee_Forever

No. This is why you would make long term travel plans involving for example taking leave and travelling down in the afternoon and if desired booking a hotel. Funnily enough all of these things are easier to do months in advance rather than at 24 hours notice!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

becbee

DerekRocholl wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 21:20
becbee wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 17:38 I can't believe that anybody would be so insulting and patronising as to say "loyal away supporters martyrdom."

Yes and I don’t see why it makes any difference whether it is a Tuesday or a Wednesday. My issue was with the opening post accusing the club of having scant regard for away supporters by trying to get this game arranged this week. I note you have expressed a similar defence of the club’s decision in your posts elsewhere.
Agree the journey is no difference whether it's Tuesday or Wednesday.
As you say, I do agree with your comments in your reply. I'd not realised that your previous comment was referring just to certain individuals.
DerekRocholl

Bee_Forever wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 21:21 No. This is why you would make long term travel plans involving for example taking leave and travelling down in the afternoon and if desired booking a hotel. Funnily enough all of these things are easier to do months in advance rather than at 24 hours notice!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I thought the game was against Eastleigh not East Timor !
jerroll

DerekRocholl wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 21:06
jerroll wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 17:01
DerekRocholl wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 16:44
barnetjohn wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 19:33
DerekRocholl wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 17:52
Given that you can get a train from Waterloo at 5.35 pm that gets to Eastleigh before 7pm don’t you think you might be over playing the loyal away supporter’s martyrdom angle on this one ?
Yes it just about possible to get down there by train if you leave Waterloo at 5:35. But not everyone works near Waterloo- and it might not be possible to knock off work early enough to get the train down there. Re-arranging shifts, rotas, meetings etc at 48 hours notice isn't always possible. Plus, getting back by train from Eastleigh is tricky given time of last train and the distance back to the station. If people have to drive down as a result, that might require further changes to working patterns etc.

I've said earlier on this thread that I think moving the game to Wed was the right decision- but equally I have a lot of sympathy for the situation faced by many fans who are travelling down there. Respect to those fans (of whom I am not one) who are willing to travel down to a difficult to reach midweek game in the freezing cold, having to re-arrange plans at short notice, for a game that could still get called off, perhaps shortly before kick off.

Anyone making the trip is a proper hardcore fan and I take my hat off to them. I'm very grateful that there are Bees fans going down to there to support the team and provide vocal backing. I appreciate you might feel moving to Wednesday is the right decision (as I do) but I don't think it's fair to have a go at the people who are making big efforts to get down there at short notice. They have my admiration and respect.
Yes good on anyone who backs the team home and away but in this case I was using the train times to demonstrate that it isn’t the same as a long distance game. Unless people are deciding to make a day of it the car journey isn’t particularly lengthy for most people either. The fact that getting back by train is a challenge is the same whatever evening it is played.
I challenge you to finish work in Potters Bar at 5.30 pm and get to Eastleigh by 7.45 by public transport?
Is it easier to do on a Tuesday than a Wednesday ?
its easier to do on the day i was granted leave for and travel earlier!