Would the Bees beat the Lionesses?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
finchleyman

Would the Bees beat the Lionesses?

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying about how brilliant the Lionesses played, I thought they gave the ball away far too often in the Final and only managed to keep hold of it for any period of time when they kept the ball for six or seven minutes during the last period of extra time.

So I think the Bees would beat the Lionesses.

But - well done for winning the European Cup.
hoppy

Re: Would the Bees beat the Lionesses?

Absolutely the Bees would win. Yes, well done to the Lionesses, but there is a big gulf between mens' football and womens' football (and probably always will be).

As a result of their win yesterday there's now going to be a massive growth in womens' football. I much prefer to watch mens' football but I am all in favour of womens' football having a higher profile in this country and, indeed, across the world.

One small step for womankind would be for the London Bees to return to The Hive's main pitch, particularly as Tottenham Women are now playing home games at Leyton Orient.
ETBee

I fear that the women's game will become even more divided by money than the men's, and very quickly. The top WSL teams are linked to the top PL teams and are very rich. They will attract the best players in the world and it will become impossible for a team at the next level to be successful. It was noticeable last night that the commentators and pundits urged viewers to go and watch a WSL game and not local women's teams.
king45bee

I am no fan of the WSL and didn't watch game - implication of this is that somehow Mens game inherently superior. Don't agree at all there is a time and place but day after this result doesn't feel right - they have won where the Men have not. Well done to the Lionesses.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

becbee

Men and women are not superior or inferior to each other but in general a man is taller and physically stronger than a woman. Therefore I'd expect a men's team to normally beat a women's team purely for that reason.
However the defence splitting pass made by the Lionesses for their first goal last night relied solely on accuracy - so a more talented women's team could beat a weaker men's team because they'd then be winning on ability as opposed to physical strength.
Many girls enjoy P.E. whilst at primary school but then get body conscious at puberty and stop playing. If this tournament changes perceptions and makes girl sports seem cool to them then that will be its best legacy.
Beeboardwarrior

I’ve watched Barnet teams who would struggle to beat my daughter’s under 12s side....
b4life

It's pointless comparing the two. Men are, on average, 15% larger than women. Despite that women play on the same size pitches as men, which makes their achievements even more impressive. Enjoy it for what it is. Well done the Lionesses. Gareth Southgate could learn a lot from Sarina Wiegman. I hope the club use this as an opportunity to get more support for London Bees.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
DerekRocholl

b4life wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 12:33 It's pointless comparing the two. Men are, on average, 15% larger than women. Despite that women play on the same size pitches as men, which makes their achievements even more impressive. Enjoy it for what it is. Well done the Lionesses. Gareth Southgate could learn a lot from Sarina Wiegman. I hope the club use this as an opportunity to get more support for London Bees.
Totally agree with this.

It would be good to see the substantial facilities at the Hive being used by players of both genders and all ages on a far larger scale than at the moment, and for that to flow through to the support for both Barnet FC and London Bees.

With these facilities on the doorstep there should be no reason for any school in Harrow failing to offer football as part of the PE curriculum for girls.
WillesdenBee

Yes but a completely pointless comparison.
john dockers shorts

Have to say the utterly ridiculous need to want to compare just pisses me off.

If you like football I really don't understand the big drama about admitting you might like it.

I went to watch Germany v France semi with my son the standard of football was as expected for elite sport top class.

If you're willing to watch some crap 1st round fa cup game which will be dog turd quality watching womens is just as entertaining.

It's football just embrace it
Roy57

hoppy wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 11:02 Absolutely the Bees would win. Yes, well done to the Lionesses, but there is a big gulf between mens' football and womens' football (and probably always will be).

As a result of their win yesterday there's now going to be a massive growth in womens' football. I much prefer to watch mens' football but I am all in favour of womens' football having a higher profile in this country and, indeed, across the world.

One small step for womankind would be for the London Bees to return to The Hive's main pitch, particularly as Tottenham Women are now playing home games at Leyton Orient.
Thank God I am not the only one who thought the same as you and finchleyman. I thought England have the ball away when not under any pressure so many times. Mark Flashman would be pushing to start in women's football, don't get me wrong I enjoyed watching and I did watch all of our games, and part of a few others, I would put the level at around Ishmian league. But found a lot of the comments from female commentators hard to bare. But so pleased for the girls and all the hard work not just in this competition but also over the past five years of so, to see the huge improvement in the women's game.
Roy57

b4life wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 12:33 It's pointless comparing the two. Men are, on average, 15% larger than women. Despite that women play on the same size pitches as men, which makes their achievements even more impressive. Enjoy it for what it is. Well done the Lionesses. Gareth Southgate could learn a lot from Sarina Wiegman. I hope the club use this as an opportunity to get more support for London Bees.
In so many sports the difference between men and women are huge, Tennis, athletics, Cricket, Rugby, Football. And on abilty, quality and standard and I cannot see this gap closing for many years. Now I am not saying women's sport is not good as it is and many people enjoy as many give there all to be the best they can be. But the difference is massive. And don't see how there is actually argument to say otherwise.
Mikel Bee

finchleyman wrote:Contrary to what a lot of people are saying about how brilliant the Lionesses played, I thought they gave the ball away far too often in the Final and only managed to keep hold of it for any period of time when they kept the ball for six or seven minutes during the last period of extra time.

So I think the Bees would beat the Lionesses.

But - well done for winning the European Cup.
I wouldn't say Barnet men's team beating England women was anywhere close to certain either way. The beauty about football as a game unlike many other sports is that there is not one physical attribute which reliably provides you results. Size and strength can be undone by skill, agility and team spirit as EMC showed bagging the winner vs B'wood last season.

The women's game has only been fully professional for about 4 years and is rapidly improving. So perhaps it could be somewhere approaching the lowest reaches of the professional men's game i.e. the National League? I don't know.

But honestly, I don't think it really matters. Comparison is the thief of joy as they say. Enjoy England being the champions of Europe.

gafferbee

I also went to the France-Germany semifinal at Milton Keynes. Watching top-class competitors give it their all in a really well appointed stadium with great facilities was great experience. The crowd displayed no bitterness, bile, toxic anger or swearing. There was no insecurity, no fury born of years of disappointment heaped on top of regret heaped on top of all the rest of it. It was great.

I look forward to returning to the Hive on Saturday. I hope the team, club and fans alike offer a similar positive vision for the future of football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b4life

There is one clear difference between the men and the women. The men lost, the women won. That's all that matters.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926