striker problem

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
barnet34

striker problem

So it appears we are starting the new season without a recognised striker, unbelievable. Boreham wood have signed three new strikers, the gulf between us and them appears to be getting wider.
WillesdenBee

Re: striker problem

Nicky Kabamba is not a striker?
DSM

He is but the point still stands, we seem to be struggling to recruit quality where players haven’t played for DB before. I’m guessing around 50% of our buys played for Hemel.

Not a criticism, the proof in whether this is smart or not will be in the coming months.
Bee_Forever

Kabamba is not just an out and out striker and has also played as a wide forward His most recent spell was as a wide forward and Brennan has spent pre-season trying to get him to build up the muscle memory of playing as a number 9. It has been a bit of a mixed bag but he looks alright to me.

Powell has played there in the past but is injured so agree we need cover there badly as mason Clarke has not looked good there in preseason.

We saw from how Brennan treated Bloomfield and Marriott last season that he has a bit of a blind spot as far as strikers go. His suggestion that he only needs one striker is a bit worrying given the above.
jonbonbaby

Powell is always injured we need somebody else and his body isn’t reliable and plus haven’t seen him have one good game
Ajtheone04

People panicking for no reason, in every interview for about the last month he's mentioned that he is looking for a striker
We can afford to start the season with just Kabamba and if the worst comes to worst we can use EMC or Loza up top for a game or two until we can get the right man in
Tuesds

Ajtheone04 wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 12:02 People panicking for no reason, in every interview for about the last month he's mentioned that he is looking for a striker
We can afford to start the season with just Kabamba and if the worst comes to worst we can use EMC or Loza up top for a game or two until we can get the right man in
If we hadn’t played for half of the season just gone with just one striker in the squad - in what was a rubbish season - then maybe there wouldn’t be grounds for concern. But we did. Up front is where you want options for subs, for tactical reasons, for injuries etc. Yes, you want some defensive cover for injuries but you rarely change a game by bringing on a steady full back, for example.

Even if we do sign this one additional striker we’ll still have several fewer than many (most?) other clubs.
Roy57

Tuesds wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 12:22
Ajtheone04 wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 12:02 People panicking for no reason, in every interview for about the last month he's mentioned that he is looking for a striker
If we hadn’t played for half of the season just gone with just one striker in the squad - in what was a rubbish season - then maybe there wouldn’t be grounds for concern. But we did. Up front is where you want options for subs, for tactical reasons, for injuries etc. Yes, you want some defensive cover for injuries but you rarely change a game by bringing on a steady full back, for example.

Even if we do sign this one additional striker we’ll still have several fewer than many (most?) other clubs.
Totally agree, strikers are the one area were if your losing a striker could rescue by scoring a goal. Mason Clark is a winger, and for years lacks a end product. As if he had this he would be playing a higher level, Powell is same he is a wide player but pretty sure has never completed a full 90 mins.
If we play more than 2 or 3 games with just Kamamba this will be on DB. Not TK or anyone else.
adher36

Should have just used the budget for 2 or 3 players to pay Marriott what he deserved. The fee we got for Fonguck should have been deposited straight into Adam's bank account and we would have been good to go and have a successful season.

We could have done without the like of Connor Smith and giving Granville a pro contract when our priority should have been quality players for this level.

I wouldn't swap Brennan for any other manager in this division, but it is spot on to suggest that he will be the one to blame if we are to rely on Kamamba as it will be a mismanagement of the budget at his disposal.
becbee

If ever proof were needed, yesterday's match proved how we need a decent striker before next Saturday. Kabamba gave his all yesterday, he got into the right position - but he lacked the final touch. On one occasion he even ended up in the net himself - minus the ball.
He maybe just needs a couple of goals to get his confidence up and to start scoring - just like it took Marriott months to
become prolific. But we won't get far just waiting on maybes.
This feels to me like the first half of last season when Marriott wasn't capable of scoring and we just had Bloomfield. DB could blame the situation on Kewell then, this time he only has himself to blame.
Roy57

I See Southend have signed Jake Hyde from Wrexham on a year's loan. Yet another one slipped through our fingers.
moortownbee

Roy57 wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 15:21 I See Southend have signed Jake Hyde from Wrexham on a year's loan. Yet another one slipped through our fingers.
Slipped through our fingers? Didn't realise we'd gone in for him.
My understanding is Hyde was offered to Southend as part of the Dalby transfer.
john dockers shorts

Guy made of glass. Thank god we didn't recruit him
becbee

moortownbee wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 15:29
Roy57 wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 15:21 I See Southend have signed Jake Hyde from Wrexham on a year's loan. Yet another one slipped through our fingers.
Last season Jake Hyde scored just 3 goals for Wrexham in his first 6 appearances (which is the same number as Kabamba scored during his half a season loan at Woking) - but then only managed another 10 appearances due to injuries. He has gone on a season's loan with Southend fans apparently not happy to get him with his injury record.
Roy57

moortownbee wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 15:29
Was refering to the fact yet another striker of note joins another national league club, meaning these players are out there but either not rated by DB or beyond the budget set aside.