Signings so far

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
tonbridgebee

Signings so far

I'm just interested in opinion's so far, the general consensus to me is people aren't impressed which is of course fine, but what I want to know is what exactly you are expecting to walk through the door?
jlay72

Re: Signings so far

I think this is Phase 1 bringing in players he knows to build a backbone and spirit that's been missing. Phase 2 is to bring in quality players I hope in the forward positions. Hope this is the case.
antbfc

jlay72 wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 15:49 I think this is Phase 1 bringing in players he knows to build a backbone and spirit that's been missing. Phase 2 is to bring in quality players I hope in the forward positions. Hope this is the case.
My thoughts exactly. Current signings are middle of the road, but a defense can be greater than the sum of its parts.

There needs to be quality added in the final third - that will define the season. I am hoping that as league players don't get what they want financially in July, they will start looking lower down the food chain in our direction.

Pleased to have made a few signings by mid June, can only help the preparation for the season ahead, both in fitness and understanding of team mates.

Ask again in 4 weeks!
magiovinium_bee

One of our best ‘signings’ has gone largely unheralded….sorting out Sam Beard’s contract extension is a hugely important piece of the jigsaw in my opinion.
Neilmac

magiovinium_bee wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 16:52 One of our best ‘signings’ has gone largely unheralded….sorting out Sam Beard’s contract extension is a hugely important piece of the jigsaw in my opinion.
Without question
becbee

From reading some posts I'd say that perhaps some fans have unrealistic expectations.
DB's much repeated complaint last season was about attitude. So now he's signed players whom he feels that he can trust in this respect. Sounds fair enough to me. Better we get that right than we sign players who may sound good on paper but lack the necessary attitude and application.
Yes, there's still work to be done - but it's only 20th June. When did we last have 5 new signings at this stage in close season?
hoofer2

Having players who want to join the club because of the manager is a breath of fresh air. Too many join as a last resort because could not secure anything elsewhere - feeling the club are beneath them.

A team is about how the sum of the parts perform. It's a few seasons since we have had that cohesion on the pitch
barnet_pls

hoofer2 wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 17:09 Having players who want to join the club because of the manager is a breath of fresh air. Too many join as a last resort because could not secure anything elsewhere - feeling the club are beneath them.

A team is about how the sum of the parts perform. It's a few seasons since we have had that cohesion on the pitch
Agree. As an earlier post said, when did we last have 4 players in June !? We certainly need a quality goal scorer, which will prob define our season - time will tell ....
KneesBees99

Need 2 strikers, a winger, a central midfielder and hen at a push a LB to support Beard
magiovinium_bee

becbee wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 17:04 From reading some posts I'd say that perhaps some fans have unrealistic expectations.
DB's much repeated complaint last season was about attitude. So now he's signed players whom he feels that he can trust in this respect. Sounds fair enough to me. Better we get that right than we sign players who may sound good on paper but lack the necessary attitude and application.
Yes, there's still work to be done - but it's only 20th June. When did we last have 5 new signings at this stage in close season?
Agree entirely with becbee. Let's give DB a fighting chance, I'll start to judge a player after I've seen them play several times, not pre-judge them based on what level/club they have played at (sadly, there is a little bit too much nonsense trotted out on this board in that regard). I think DB has been pretty shrewd with his signings so far and only time will tell of course. At least it looks like we are going to have the squad compiled in good time, and getting a good pre-season which is a major step forward as a club (and can only help improve our chances of a) getting a decent start b) getting the best out of Dan Powell over a prolonged period of the season). COYBs
king45bee

Great to have stability. Signings consistent so far - results king but that a manager is being able do stuff pre season starting is great - signings always a bit of a punt at this level but he is sticking with who he trusts so reducing the risk. Now a gk in when striker or 2 signed we will have a good core of players to move forward with.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Patel89

Look end of the day based on our budget that we more or less all know

I think the business done so far is positive people he trusts and has brought in leaders which we have lacked

Beard signing a new deal is excellent for the club him and Ryan De Haviland are clearly our biggest assets at the club with EMC only having a year remaining not sure if he stays

- Michael Phillips - for me behind the new beard contract is a excellent signing he is a good ball player because not only can he regain possession he has a goal in him this could be a really good signing

- Diarra - It is what it is big bad and will get stuck in a bit of fight and a warrior happy with this

- Collinge - don't know enough about him but has very good youth pedigree gives us legs with okimo and diarra

- Jerome Okimo - again clever business a leader, and at 34 comes in on a dual role this could prove to be a crucial signing for the club as much as it is for the squad experienced head is what we need another person Dean can trust

- Laurie Walker - I am happy with we have our own keeper not a loaned keeper, good experience and will be able to manage a defence this is a good signing

If we can add some sparkle with a few gems so far so good and i'll be happy to put my neck out and say this is the best window so far in at least 3 years long way to go we need fire power and some flair but we need to remember we have to be shrewd in our business we are not going to go and pay a fee or dish out league 1 wages I still think a few will leave us at least three but the next 4 weeks will be telling our strikers have to be right and Dean will have pressure to find a few good ones!
CambsBee

Agree with this. We live 15 minutes from Bedford in St Neots and I had pencilled in the friendly to take my sons as it is so close and as a way appeasing my wife as we will be home by 1730, at the latest. Looking forward to it now and what other players DB brings in.
Patel89 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 07:45 Look end of the day based on our budget that we more or less all know

I think the business done so far is positive people he trusts and has brought in leaders which we have lacked

Beard signing a new deal is excellent for the club him and Ryan De Haviland are clearly our biggest assets at the club with EMC only having a year remaining not sure if he stays

- Michael Phillips - for me behind the new beard contract is a excellent signing he is a good ball player because not only can he regain possession he has a goal in him this could be a really good signing

- Diarra - It is what it is big bad and will get stuck in a bit of fight and a warrior happy with this

- Collinge - don't know enough about him but has very good youth pedigree gives us legs with okimo and diarra

- Jerome Okimo - again clever business a leader, and at 34 comes in on a dual role this could prove to be a crucial signing for the club as much as it is for the squad experienced head is what we need another person Dean can trust

- Laurie Walker - I am happy with we have our own keeper not a loaned keeper, good experience and will be able to manage a defence this is a good signing

If we can add some sparkle with a few gems so far so good and i'll be happy to put my neck out and say this is the best window so far in at least 3 years long way to go we need fire power and some flair but we need to remember we have to be shrewd in our business we are not going to go and pay a fee or dish out league 1 wages I still think a few will leave us at least three but the next 4 weeks will be telling our strikers have to be right and Dean will have pressure to find a few good ones!
rudebwoyben

Far better to recruit a set of players who are able to play consistently as a cohesive unit than a more disparate set of players who may have more innate ability but are often out injured.
I’m quietly pleased, as long as we add a bit of quality in attack and creatively.
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 17:04 From reading some posts I'd say that perhaps some fans have unrealistic expectations.
It doesn’t look a lot different and has a similar feel to the run up to the 2018/19 season when John Still had signed 2 players from Aldershot and 3 from Dagenham by the end of June.

Personally I don’t see why signing players in their later 20s and early 30s from clubs that finished below where we would be happy to be should be a cause for the amount of optimism on display on this forum.