Spotted any potential from the released lists ?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Tuesds

Re: Spotted any potential from the released lists ?

Eastleigh fans seem to think they’ve released some of their better players. Left-footed central midfielder Harry Pritchard played over 40 games this season and scored 7 goals. Winger Sam Smart seems a popular player. Scored their 1st against us a couple of weeks ago, and scored against us last season too (yes, lots of players scored against us this season and last!).

Suspect we won’t be looking so far afield, although I note that Pritchard is from Wycombe and played at Maidenhead for several years.
antbfc

barnet34 wrote: 14 May 2022, 11:45 For the last 2 years we have brought in so many players on the cheap that have struggled to be injury free, this is just false economy and very frustrating. So it's much better to entice 6 players in with a decent wage than 10 players who will be missing half the season. It is a no brainer surely.
That's just not true. Turley, Widdowson, Powell, Hall etc were all signed from league clubs. The fact the only one we have got any value from is Hall is the issue, not what we spent!

Quality over quantity (we all say it every year!).
thebeekeeper

antbfc wrote: 18 May 2022, 07:31
barnet34 wrote: 14 May 2022, 11:45 For the last 2 years we have brought in so many players on the cheap that have struggled to be injury free, this is just false economy and very frustrating. So it's much better to entice 6 players in with a decent wage than 10 players who will be missing half the season. It is a no brainer surely.
That's just not true. Turley, Widdowson, Powell, Hall etc were all signed from league clubs. The fact the only one we have got any value from is Hall is the issue, not what we spent!

Quality over quantity (we all say it every year!).
They might be from league clubs, but they did have questionable injury records before joining us - suggesting they would have been more willing to sign / accept lower wages.

I think - because the budget is comparatively low (and I'm not sure the club have a great reputation, which doesn't help with recruitment) - we've had to gamble on more injury-prone players (the alternative being lower quality additions).

But that has clearly proven to be a false economy (with the exception of Hall). We ultimately need to spend more or be more shrewd in the market this summer - and making sure every signing is extremely durable should be one of our top priorities.
becbee

I think it's somewhat unfair to include Widdowson in this, hardly his fault that his leg was broken by a foul which saw the culprit get a straight red card.
thebeekeeper

becbee wrote: 18 May 2022, 16:17 I think it's somewhat unfair to include Widdowson in this, hardly his fault that his leg was broken by a foul which saw the culprit get a straight red card.
Yes, that's true, he's had plenty of seasons when he's played 30/40 games. He is 33, so I suspect it was more about his age when he dropped down the National League. Looked like a good player too, prior to the injury.
#Beebot

Maidenhead have just released George Wells who was out of favour this season for some reason. I'd happily take him as backup to Beard at LB.
king45bee

Some possibilities here?:https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport ... 697844?amp

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Tuesds

Interesting to see that giant French centre half Moussa Diarra has been released by Woking, to the apparent disappointment of Cards fans. Notably Brennan will know him very well, having managed him at Hemel Hempstead.
antbfc

Tuesds wrote: 18 May 2022, 21:57 Interesting to see that giant French centre half Moussa Diarra has been released by Woking, to the apparent disappointment of Cards fans. Notably Brennan will know him very well, having managed him at Hemel Hempstead.
He's no better than what we have - probably worse!
antbfc

becbee wrote: 18 May 2022, 16:17 I think it's somewhat unfair to include Widdowson in this, hardly his fault that his leg was broken by a foul which saw the culprit get a straight red card.
My inclusion of him wasn't because he's injury prone, its emphasizing the point that it isn't because we scrimped on wages we get such poor players. Sometimes you just have bad luck (Widdowson) or waste the money (Powell).
antbfc

king45bee wrote: 18 May 2022, 20:08 Some possibilities here?:https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport ... 697844?amp

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk
Bradley Barry could do a job at RB. Just released by Stevenage so location won't be an issue.
Andrade has been poor at Stevenage but has form in the national league. Another potential option?
Charlie Carter we all know and is more than good enough, but is struggling with injuries... history says he'll be perfect!
magiovinium_bee

National League Insider has tweeted that we are rumoured to be bringing the recently released Akinola back from Southend, along with a deal for Grego-Cox and Scott Cuthbert from the Chavs. Any thoughts?
Beesting

That twitter account is nonsense
Tuesds

Yes, pretty clearly that Twitter account is just plucking names from the released lists and matching them with clubs they think seem plausible.

Now you mention Scott Cuthbert, though, his name caught my eye as much as anyone’s on Stevenage’s released list. Yes he’s nearly 35, but he played over 40 games this season - don’t think a single one of our players managed that! Reportedly still doing a very decent job in League 2.

We signed Michael Nelson, another centre half with over 500 games behind him, at 35 and he went on to give us two or three good years.

If we could be more confident of Turley’s fitness, I’d say the need for a hugely experienced right-footed centre half with leadership qualities was already filled. But we can’t, it seems, so Cuthbert looks a strong candidate.

Unless he’s retiring or heading back to Scotland Cuthbert will surely sign for a National League club. Having spent the last 11 years at Orient, Luton and then Stevenage, it seems likely it’ll be for someone in our part of the world, too…

With fitness being a top priority for Brennan next season I would be amazed if we were keen to bring Akinola back, much as I like him.
DSM

Given it’s silly season my thoughts on the rumours involving BFC;

Cuthbert - feasible and agree with comments about him or Turley no need for both. Stevenage fans were v positive about him

Akinola - ridiculous, unfortunately injury prone we can’t afford to take the risk although we’d all love a fit sim

Marriott - could see bwood being interested

Grego cox - feasible

That striker who’s never scored who’s name escapes me…..let’s hope not!

Speculation on daggers Board is that Reynolds will leave them, guessing they offered him a 1 year not 2 years.