Underhill Photo Memories

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
Devon_Bee

Re: Underhill Photo Memories

Getting the thread back on track...

Back many years ago, my Dad made a few hand sign-written wooden signs for the stadium. One went up on the Westcombe Drive entrance, about 5' by 2', in old English writing, 'Barnet F.C. Est.1888', with the club badge one end and the supporters association badge the other. That one seemed to appear on the TV and in newspapers (back page of The Sun once!) whenever Barnet got a feature.

There was a larger 'Forthcoming Matches' one on a frame over the entrance in Barnet Lane. He thinks that the individual slot-in letters got lost for that one though, so it wasn't used for that long. When he was fitting it up one lunchtime before a home match all the players and staff were pretty much ignoring him as they entered the ground, except one man, Jimmy Greaves. He stopped and had a good chat with Dad and he explained he made the signs for free in his spare time to help the club out. Jim was very impressed, made Dad glow with pride!

There was a third sign on the tea hut down by the club house which read 'Barnet FC Supporters Association tea bar' and there was a picture of a steaming cup of tea on it.

Anyone have any pictures of these signs? I'd love to see them again.
hertssteve

The only one I have is this from 1974 (probably a little earlier than you mention) but still its a good excuse to show this rabble! note the real amber and black scarf, also the silk ones. The visible suspects L to R are:- wilmott, mills, simper, hodges, clark & Edwards, knight, h.smith (fang), martin, ? , Mitchell, P.smith & guests
Attachments
1974 Underhill
1974 Underhill
Barnet fans 1974.JPG (96.06 KiB) Viewed 18321 times
hertssteve

The ten foot slope - 1964. An ITV still ahead of the Preston cup game. The girl is pointing to an imaginary line showing where the pitch would be if it were flat. The slope is still there of course but reduced following work in the early 1990`s to gain Football league approval.
Attachments
10ft slope Underhill 1964.jpg
10ft slope Underhill 1964.jpg (211.85 KiB) Viewed 18308 times
THB

hertssteve wrote:The only one I have is this from 1974 (probably a little earlier than you mention) but still its a good excuse to show this rabble! note the real amber and black scarf, also the silk ones. The visible suspects L to R are:- wilmott, mills, simper, hodges, clark & Edwards, knight, h.smith (fang), martin, ? , Mitchell, P.smith & guests
Don't forget me (Neil Staff) - I took the photo. The following still come to Underhill: Steve Wilmott, Gary Mills, Stuart Simper, Mr Martin, Geoff Mitchell (occasionally), Pat Smith. Picture taken at Wescombe Drive turnstiles.
Neil Staff
PBBee

I have just been sent this by my Preston North End supporting friend. He isn't sure whether it is his father's or his grandfather's!

For any old boys out there what does the price of '4/6' mean?
Attachments
BFC2.jpg
BFC2.jpg (197.15 KiB) Viewed 20296 times
rudebwoyben

4 shillings and sixpence surely? 54 pence in total I think.
ninestein

I remember the tickets in the very early 90's used to have a hint of pink in them...
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
hertssteve

22 and a half pence but whose counting :D
hertssteve

THB wrote:
hertssteve wrote:The only one I have is this from 1974 (probably a little earlier than you mention) but still its a good excuse to show this rabble! note the real amber and black scarf, also the silk ones. The visible suspects L to R are:- wilmott, mills, simper, hodges, clark & Edwards, knight, h.smith (fang), martin, ? , Mitchell, P.smith & guests
Don't forget me (Neil Staff) - I took the photo. The following still come to Underhill: Steve Wilmott, Gary Mills, Stuart Simper, Mr Martin, Geoff Mitchell (occasionally), Pat Smith. Picture taken at Wescombe Drive turnstiles.
Hi Neil, sorry. I thought the quality was too good for my instant camera! s.w.
Golf Delta

Says it all really...
Attachments
_67133555_underhill.jpg
_67133555_underhill.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 20163 times
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
WelwynBee

hertssteve wrote:22 and a half pence but whose counting :D
Back then there were 12 pennies to a shilling. 54p is correct. Quite a lot of money back then.
Dave H

Just to be pedantic ; 4 shillings and six pence might have equalled 54 pre-decimal pennies (d) but it converts to 22 and a half decimal pence (p).

God, when does the football start again ?
WelwynBee

Were you all off to a Bay City Rollers concert after the game then?
THB

Barnet 1765.JPG
Barnet 1765.JPG (173.11 KiB) Viewed 19489 times
Football being played in Barnet High Street in 1765 (in front of the Church which is behind the buildings in the middle of the picture, which include the market house, burnt down in 1888 and not replaced) showing the Red Lion (and Post Office) and the sign of the Mitre on the right (which is still there). Barnet FC had to move to alternative premises soon after this picture was taken as the then Barnet Council would not allow goal posts to be permanently erected in the High Street. . .
Neil Staff
hertssteve

and Is that Pat Smith coming out of the Mitre?