Who should stay and who should go ?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Ajtheone04

Re: Who should stay and who should go ?

Interesting, certainly more players retained than I thought there'd be
Can only assume that when Azaze and Donny went pro they signed 3 year deals because Brennan doesn't seem to rate either of them. Same thing with Walsh but with a 1 1/2 year deal
Callan and Granville being under the 'offered contract' section tells me that bigger clubs are looking to poach them and we're just trying to get compo.
Surprised to see Teddy Howe leave, thought he looked better in those final few appearances.
Think a core of 13 players (excl. Vasiliou) is a good start, leaves space for another 8-10 to come in.
Probably the best list for a few years bar Marriott and HT, COYB!
DSM

Disappointing that salary will be spent and squad places taken by Powell, Walsh and Wes and to a lesser extend Aman. Otherwise it’s as expected.

Personally happy Turley is staying, if fit will make a difference.

Glad EMC under contract and Beard staying. H and Marriott we knew about
Beesting

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these under contract for next season will be gone. EMC, Fonguck and Powell I believe won't be here by the first game.
BeesKnees99

Beesting wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these under contract for next season will be gone. EMC, Fonguck and Powell I believe won't be here by the first game.
Wouldn’t mind if Fonguck & Powell left
DSM

I’m fairness to DB and TK they’ve been ruthless in offloading contracted players who aren’t wanted such as Doherty, Payne, Brundle, Nugent and Bloomfield, so hopefully the few we don’t want will go over the course of the summer
pletch99

The list is longer than expected, but I think it shows how little we know about the players contract situations. Beard and EMC were widely believed to be out of contract, so that fact that they had options or longer contracts than thought is a big plus.

On the downside it also means we have to keep players who we might otherwise chosen to left go. I kind of knew Powell was on a two year deal, so even if we decided that we don't want him we would either have to pay up his contract or agree a mutual termination or he needs to find another club prepared to offer him a contract. That might not be easy given his injury record. Likewise, I'm not at all surprised Walsh is under contract, the question is whether we can get any meaningful contribution from him.

The big surprise is Wes - it kind of implies he was given a three year deal when he resigned last time.

I think the really key question is how many of those on the "retained" list are actually happy about staying.... The likes of EMC and Beard might not be that pleased at having options activated, although they must have agreed to them when signed. You also have to ask whether Turley will be properly committed, given everything that happened.

I can't decide how a feel about this list - while it does give us some stability and allows for us to keep or get a fee for a couple of players I really wanted to stay, there are also a couple of names on that list who I was hoping I didn't need to see in a Barnet shirt again.

If the players want to stay AND we can get everyone fit and we could add 3/4 good quality signings we could have a team that at least makes progress next year.

Right now the priority has to be a keeper, at least two strikers (one of whom could be Marriott), right fullback and a box to box midfielder. The reality is the EMC is likely to leave, so we'll need some kind of replacement.

The one downside of EMC being under option, is that by the time it expires he will be old enough to leave without us getting a fee, so I still think the likelihood is that he won't be wearing a Bees shirt come next season.
b4life

Just because they are retained doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be here next season. It's equally possible that some of the released/on loan players come back, once we can sort out a sensible contract, if DB wants them. Still, a decent base to start from.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
hoofer2

I was expecting Turley to leave as was not sure he'd get past the incident that lead to his suspension. But you'd expect a centre half to play 90% of matches. Need him to push on and show why he was made captain

I guess all the retained really means is we would get a fee / compensation. Feel sorry for Widdowson. Could have had a Yiadom type influence as season progressed. Hope he can recover.

I'd swap Powell+Walsh for Marriott.

It's a solid squad if everyone is fit. Therein lies the problem
Tuesds

On the face of it it looks as though we gave almost everyone a two-year contract last summer other than our best player, who’s now in danger of slipping through our grasp. Obviously we didn’t know he was going to prove to be our best player, but those are the judgements you have to make, and it seems we made a bad one.

It’s going to cost us, either in the form of an expensive multi-year new contract, or Marriott’s departure. Hopefully it’s the former…
Tuesds

Widdowson had a two-year contract, so we must have come to an arrangement to settle his contract. I feared the worst for him when I saw a clip of him the other day from Orient’s matchday video coverage at their last game and he was still wearing a leg brace/support-type thing even now.
king45bee

Bit of stability is good and refreshing for us. Think for H a change would be good for him sadly.Goes without saying we need to keep Marriott any replacement won't be cheaper so TK needs to dig into his Underhill piggybank

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

DerekRocholl

hoofer2 wrote: 22 May 2022, 15:02 I was expecting Turley to leave as was not sure he'd get past the incident that lead to his suspension. But you'd expect a centre half to play 90% of matches. Need him to push on and show why he was made captain

I guess all the retained really means is we would get a fee / compensation. Feel sorry for Widdowson. Could have had a Yiadom type influence as season progressed. Hope he can recover.

If Turley has a contract to serve out how could he just leave ? I suspect a few on the retained list to be available for transfer and I would imagine Turley is one of them.
letchbee94

I just hope that the players we have kept are not the ones Brennan said did not wanna be here towards end of the season.
antbfc

DerekRocholl wrote: 22 May 2022, 19:06
hoofer2 wrote: 22 May 2022, 15:02 I was expecting Turley to leave as was not sure he'd get past the incident that lead to his suspension. But you'd expect a centre half to play 90% of matches. Need him to push on and show why he was made captain

If Turley has a contract to serve out how could he just leave ? I suspect a few on the retained list to be available for transfer and I would imagine Turley is one of them.
I'm sure Hoofer means mutual termination a la Nugent, Doherty, Payne etc.

Sure a few more names will leave over the summer, players will want to line up their new club before taking their pay off!
WhetstoneBee

My understanding is that we’re aiming to sign at least 12 players this summer so I’d be surprised if some of the players on the retained list are still retained by the start of next season.