Chesterfield (Away) The Flanagan and Balance Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
beew

Re: Chesterfield (Away) The Flanagan and Balance Match Threa

djhdjh wrote:It starts with solidity in defence and hard work without the ball. It's what Bassey did, it's what Allen always did. If you work hard off the ball and restrict the opposition, you give yourself a chance. If you concede multiple goals a game you usually lose. And if it keeps happening the team loses faith because even when you score you think you'll give it away. If Kewell wants to be successful, that's the first, second and third order of business until it's solved.
Totally agree.
let_it_bee

Please spare us the HK post match interview. There’s absolutely nothing he’s going to say that’s going to lift the mood or that won’t deepen the frustration and despair.
rudebwoyben

We’re on course to concede 125 goals in the league this season if we carry on at this rate. Something has to be done about this.
The only positives I can find is that this group of players does have some spirit and goals in them.
#Beebot

Kewell just looks completely tactically naive and clueless. I can't see him lasting much longer but I wonder what is going on with the huge coaching staff we have this year. I assume Kewell is just ignoring them all, they can't all be incompetent?
jerroll

#Beebot wrote:Kewell just looks completely tactically naive and clueless. I can't see him lasting much longer but I wonder what is going on with the huge coaching staff we have this year. I assume Kewell is just ignoring them all, they can't all be incompetent?
hard to argue, lets go to Chesterfield & play 442 with a central midfield of Flanagan & Granville in front of 2 snails in Brundle & Richards -aircraft carrier! plus Harry at RB & Widdowson at LB. we are actually starting to carry some threat going forwards with Sesay & Tasdemir complementing the front 2 well. Sam Sargeant should feel hard done by to have let 4 in and made several decent saves tonight. its hard to see where we go from here other than the obvious but we need to turn ourselves into a team that values a clean sheet and is had to breakdown like Bassey made us back end of last term and stop playing academy football in a mens league!
peterstebbings

Some of the players are an upgrade on last season - Thomas, Bloomfield, Tasdemir, perhaps Widdowson, Powell and Turley too.

But otherwise, this season looks very much the same as last season.

In fact, at a comparable point last year, we were better off under Beadle than we currently are.
let_it_bee

peterstebbings wrote:Some of the players are an upgrade on last season - Thomas, Bloomfield, Tasdemir, perhaps Widdowson, Powell and Turley too.

But otherwise, this season looks very much the same as last season.

In fact, at a comparable point last year, we were better off under Beadle than we currently are.
Tasdemir!? I can only assume he only performs away from home, as I’ve not seen anything from him in the 3 home games so far.
letchbee94

Well beaten and if their player had not missed a more or less open goal when they was 2-0 up it could have been much worse.
Credit to the players for not giving up though and bouncing back to go in level at HT.
WhetstoneBee

Kewell's post-match interviews concern me. Obviously he's not going to slate his players in public but there's no sign of a real winning mentality as a manager or any acceptance that losing games isn't inevitable and that it does matter. We concede another 4 goals and all he wants to say is that he's happy his players worked hard. Even when asked about the poor goals conceded and individual mistakes, he says: "It's unfortunate but that's the game".
#Beebot

LoringBee wrote:Kewell's post-match interviews concern me. Obviously he's not going to slate his players in public but there's no sign of a real winning mentality as a manager or any acceptance that losing games isn't inevitable and that it does matter. We concede another 4 goals and all he wants to say is that he's happy his players worked hard. Even when asked about the poor goals conceded and individual mistakes, he says: "It's unfortunate but that's the game".
I'm increasingly convinced he just doesn't understand anything he's watching.
becbee

#Beebot wrote:
LoringBee wrote:Kewell's post-match interviews concern me. Obviously he's not going to slate his players in public but there's no sign of a real winning mentality as a manager or any acceptance that losing games isn't inevitable and that it does matter. We concede another 4 goals and all he wants to say is that he's happy his players worked hard. Even when asked about the poor goals conceded and individual mistakes, he says: "It's unfortunate but that's the game".
I'm increasingly convinced he just doesn't understand anything he's watching.
I haven't as yet been able to bring myself to listen to the interview but I can't see how he could genuinely mean " it's unfortunate but that's the game". We have played 6 NL matches and have conceded 17 goals, that's an average of almost 3 goals per match. If "that's the game" then why don't other clubs concede so many - ours is the worst average in the top 5 divisions.
bzzzzz

It's difficult to believe that even if HK can't see it, Dean Brennan is watching it and thinking the same thing. We've got quite a team of backroom staff who can hopefully suggest better strategies. Whilst the commentary from the Chesterfield game had a large dose of bias, they did seem knowledgable about a couple of our players. One of them asked if Brundle usually played at centre back? The answer was usually in midfield. Occasionally they made a few fair comments about the bees, but one thing I picked up on was that we had quite a large spell of posession, but it was largely restricted to our own half.

We really need to make some kind of switch like Bassey did at the end of last season. Maybe move Brundle in front of the defenders and have him play a Kefalas role. At this stage it's pretty obvious the defence needs more protection.
CrawleyBee

We looked a different team under Basey, hard to beat and up for the fight, what we need in the national league. If only!
Formerly Watfordbee
dawat

I can only repeat what some of you have already said but maybe using different words. First we have to break the losing mentality which seems ok with our manager if we take him at his word. Stop losing and then start winning. Easy to say but apparently far less easy to do for some managers but not it seems for other ones as we all witnessed only too clearly last season. The England team seem to achieve this by having two top quality defensive midfielders protecting a decent defence.
Based on current stats, our team needs to score three goals a game to stand a chance of getting a draw let alone a win, totally ludicrous in professional football. With all due respect that is hardly a morale raising situation for any footballer to face when taking the field for a game, albeit partly self induced.
bzzzzz

CopthorneBee wrote:We looked a different team under Basey, hard to beat and up for the fight, what we need in the national league. If only!
Maybe it was a fluke, but Bassey worked wonders in a very short time. I still think it was a bit weird for him to take the job that he did. Maybe it was the chance to work with the Cowley brothers that excited him, or maybe he just didn't want to be a football manager - it's a shame because I think he'd have made a good one, and he'd earnt himself quite a bit of time to put a team together for this campaign.

I'm trying to work out if I'm more or less postive than I was at this time last season. I think it's similar - maybe a bit more optimistic, because it does feel as though there's been an investment in off field staff, even if the results on the pitch aren't coming.