Chesterfield (Hive) The Chelsea Haggered Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeesKnees99

Re: Chesterfield (Hive) The Chelsea Haggered Match Thread

pletch99 wrote:While the result wasn't pretty I thought yesterday was mostly an improved performance on the last couples. Unfortunately, we were up against a side who have a lot of pace and power and who are currently supremely confident. Their first and third goals were both the result of poor touches being pounced no quickly and then superbly ececuted breaks. Their third goal in particular involved a pass that set the winger away - I suspect you can count on one hand the numbers of players in this league who would have seen that pass and actually played it successfully. It cut us apart.

I personally feel we're not far away from having a competitive team, but as others have said the right back, central midfield and the centre forward positions need an upgrade. I thought we played much better football yesterday, in the first half at least - the difference between us and them was the quality of passing around the box - to pick out one example Brundle really opened them up with a late run into space and Wes had a relatively simply ball to play him through onto goal, but his pass was hopelessly overhit. Now the truth is I believe Wes is good enough to play that ball, but right now is totally lacking in confidence.

I think it's really interesting that everyones suddenly having a go at DB tactics, but I mostly think his decisions have made sense. He played a really defensive team at BW and we got a point, it was ugly to watch, but it was successful in negating BW and we got a point. Against Alty he took a lot of stick but the truth is that he was short of attacking options. So we played a team with three limited midfielders who really don't completment each other (but who individually in another midfield would be fine.) Our only really creative attacking threat was Hall, but Alty spotted this as got men around him. As a consequence we end up lumping the ball forward - again really ugly.

Yesterday DB had more options - however, his selection did highlight the weaknesses in the squad - yesterday he tried selecting his strongest three attacking players - the problem is that all of them are wide attackers, none of whom is really suited to playing centrally. He also made the midfield more attacking by including Wes, but at the cost of work rate and ability to win the ball. Chesterfield might not have been the right opposition to do that. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place. Had Flanagan been fit to play instead of Wes, it might have been more effective.

I was initially impressed with Bloomfield, but his confidence appears to be shot. He has been ineffective when used recently and was dominated by a step 4 defence on Tuesday night. So I can understand why he might have decided to try BRE in the position. To be fair BRE did win a few headers and the goal was well taken, although meaningless.

While I thought yesterdays referee was better than most we've had recently, he once again allowed a team to constantly man handle EMC - it's really difficult to be effective when you constantly have a troll twice your size hanging onto your shirt.

It's likely to be a difficult few weeks - we have tough run of fixtures and while it's not impossible we'll pick up some unexpected points, particularly if DB goes into BW mode, the likelihood is that we will slip down the table. The key question is whether DB can restore confidence once the fixtures get easier.

Finally, everybody seems to think we won't add to the squad, but DB said in his interview that we are looking and that a couple of deals had fallen through, so it sounds like we're trying. He also said he would only bring players in who will make the squad better. Time will tell.

Before the Yeovil game I was hoping we might continue to climb the table and at have a possibility of the playoffs although I think deep down I think I suspected that the ceiling of this team wasn't that high. I'm now sure of this - I'm reasonably confident that we will finish at least lower midtable. I think DB is doing a lot of things right and therefore should be given time by both supporters and TK. This was always going to be a long term process as the starting base was so low.
Optimistic post which heavily relies on TK’s willingness to back Brennan.

Midfield needs sorting out urgently, it’s been woeful for too long. Incredulously, half decent service into our forward players might actually yield some goals.
letchbee94

Well beaten in end by better team, scary how far away we are from being a team who will challenge for the title and play offs.

TK needs to appoint Brennan as manager full time (or someone) so players know who is manager of the club
fordybarnet

Apart from all the player/how we play problems as above, i wonder how much attacking a half empty stadium helps our players ?

Thought we did ok first half and attacking the Chesterfield end, but am sure the great influence of attacking the end with 600+
noisy 'in your face' supporting fans must have also helped the Chesterfield players in the second half.

The sooner we can get our fans back behind the goal and in that corner the better, obviously some pessimists amongst us will
say, 'have we got enough fans at the moment to do that'.

Anyway, please sort it asap TK & DB !
Roy57

hoofer2 wrote:
BeesKnees99 wrote:Shocking second half performance. Said a Chesterfield goal would kill us and was proved right, we completely capitulated.

We matched them in the first half, but it was men against boys after their goal.

Agree that Brennan had a shocker today, and I’m getting increasingly impatient with him. Terrible substitutions and yet more aimless hoofball forwards. What exactly is the tactic, Dean?! The “Character” and “togetherness” claptrap is wearing thin.

Brennan’s inadequacies aside, the squad he’s working with is absolutely nowhere near good enough. TK won’t open his wallet this season, it’s a complete write-off, but BIG signings needed in the summer.

What I’d give to sign Tshimanga, quality player and so exciting to watch. Chesterfield exposed exactly what we lack. Ruthless intent, attacking bite, assured at the back, great counter attacking ability, and a proper midfield!!
That is why I can only admire what BW achieve. To lose a player like Tshimanga and continue to find very strong replacements. We have still not replaced Akinde though Coulthirst and Akinola gave it a real go.

Jake Hyde could do a job if not getting match time the way we are playing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhA2OQaLt8
Agree about how well Borehamwood have done after Tshimanga left. They have brought in players who fit into there system. Now I am not saying this style is what I would want to watch week in week out. But it works. Still in FA cup. The revenue they will get from this will only make them be able to bring in even more better quality players and sadly we will be watching them get stronger and reaching games that till out there ground. Cannot deny that from owner to manager and how they keep the basis of there squad and add to it each year making them stronger. Something we seem miles away from.
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
Roy57 wrote:We are and never will be able to match the likes of Chesterfield. Stockport. Wrexham. And probably another three or four clubs. But it's been two or three years now we're we keep making the same mistakes. We cannot keep replacing the whole squad. Why Brennan has not brought in at least one if not two strikers and same in midfield is baffling. Looking 1-4 today and up next is Notts county and then Stockport. And sadly can see the same score line of worse. And that will kill any confidence the players had. I can even see us getting turned over by Southend in game after Stockport. We will then be relying on teams below us looking to keep us from relegation fight.
Perhaps. But we should be able to match Sutton, Bromley, Halifax, Borehamwood.....

Who had dropped to NLN and were never the size if Notts County, Stockport, Southend, Grimsby, Chesterfield, Southend and were also often in the re-election mix
We could debate this endlessly.
You could carry on debating it, but only if you can’t see that it is blindingly obvious we should be able to at least match FC Halifax!
hoofer2

fordybarnet wrote:Apart from all the player/how we play problems as above, i wonder how much attacking a half empty stadium helps our players ?

Thought we did ok first half and attacking the Chesterfield end, but am sure the great influence of attacking the end with 600+
noisy 'in your face' supporting fans must have also helped the Chesterfield players in the second half.

The sooner we can get our fans back behind the goal and in that corner the better, obviously some pessimists amongst us will
say, 'have we got enough fans at the moment to do that'.

Anyway, please sort it asap TK & DB !
Good point. But for £22 a ticket I think I'm entitled to have a moan here - but when I'm at a game I always support the team and dont get on players backs.
Mikel Bee

Roy57 wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
BeesKnees99 wrote:Shocking second half performance. Said a Chesterfield goal would kill us and was proved right, we completely capitulated.

We matched them in the first half, but it was men against boys after their goal.

Agree that Brennan had a shocker today, and I’m getting increasingly impatient with him. Terrible substitutions and yet more aimless hoofball forwards. What exactly is the tactic, Dean?! The “Character” and “togetherness” claptrap is wearing thin.

Brennan’s inadequacies aside, the squad he’s working with is absolutely nowhere near good enough. TK won’t open his wallet this season, it’s a complete write-off, but BIG signings needed in the summer.

What I’d give to sign Tshimanga, quality player and so exciting to watch. Chesterfield exposed exactly what we lack. Ruthless intent, attacking bite, assured at the back, great counter attacking ability, and a proper midfield!!
That is why I can only admire what BW achieve. To lose a player like Tshimanga and continue to find very strong replacements. We have still not replaced Akinde though Coulthirst and Akinola gave it a real go.

Agree about how well Borehamwood have done after Tshimanga left. They have brought in players who fit into there system. Now I am not saying this style is what I would want to watch week in week out. But it works. Still in FA cup. The revenue they will get from this will only make them be able to bring in even more better quality players and sadly we will be watching them get stronger and reaching games that till out there ground. Cannot deny that from owner to manager and how they keep the basis of there squad and add to it each year making them stronger. Something we seem miles away from.
1) Borehamwood had 342 home fans for their trophy game yesterday.

2) Compared to last season we are a lot stronger.

Some perspective needed.
HertsBee

Mikel Bee wrote:
Roy57 wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:

1) Borehamwood had 342 home fans for their trophy game yesterday.

2) Compared to last season we are a lot stronger.

Some perspective needed.
Talking of perspective, The Hive generates far more money than what Boreham Wood can offer, plus our crowds are 3-4 times more. So how come they can manage to be 3rd and we are well adrift. Talking of Tshminga, we could of had him but TK wouldn't pay the £10,000 Oxford City wanted so B/Wood snapped him up. Their ambition is clearly higher than ours.
Sam_BFC

Mm, he was prepared to pay what was likely a similar amount for Alfie Pavey at around the same time.
jerroll

Sam_BFC wrote:Mm, he was prepared to pay what was likely a similar amount for Alfie Pavey at around the same time.
several weeks later when it was glaringly obvious Coulthirst was playing the sicknote card!
ETBee

As I was leaving the ground on Saturday there was a bit of fracas between a steward and an aggressive Chesterfield fan who
had decided to steal one of our footballs. The steward was trying to get the bloke to hand over the ball but he was refusing and saying "It's only a f**king football". As I moved on the police were getting involved so did anybody see what happened?
#Beebot

Sam_BFC wrote:Mm, he was prepared to pay what was likely a similar amount for Alfie Pavey at around the same time.
I'm pretty sure Wood signed Tshimanga on a free so any attempt to sign him would probably have been in late 2018 or early 2019 when we had very little to spend after Still's splurge. We didn't sign Pavey until autumn 2019.
HertsBee

Wood did not sign him for free. They paid money.
wearebees

ETBee wrote:As I was leaving the ground on Saturday there was a bit of fracas between a steward and an aggressive Chesterfield fan who
had decided to steal one of our footballs. The steward was trying to get the bloke to hand over the ball but he was refusing and saying "It's only a f**king football". As I moved on the police were getting involved so did anybody see what happened?
I saw him by the bus stop on Camrose Avenue, not sure where you saw him, but he'd obviously run away! He had the ball hidden under his arm, and was arguing with police and steward. Heard him say "ball for kid" in Northern accent, which he seemed to think justified it. Very bizarre and very funny. :laugh:

What with that and the Chesterfield fan in the home end celebrating their goals, can only conclude they are an odd bunch!