Dog and Duck (Hive) The Match Thread Whose Cup Hoofeth Over

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Sam_BFC

Re: Dog and Duck (Hive) The Match Thread Whose Cup Hoofeth O

letchbee94 wrote:Some of the football we played at start of 1999-2000 season was some of the best I have seen in my time.
I sat most of that season out, however I do recall a truly outstanding 45 mins at home to Mansfield in August 2000. Many will remember that we let the 3-1 half time lead slip, not to mention how that season ended.
MCB

Sam_BFC wrote:
letchbee94 wrote:Some of the football we played at start of 1999-2000 season was some of the best I have seen in my time.
I sat most of that season out, however I do recall a truly outstanding 45 mins at home to Mansfield in August 2000. Many will remember that we let the 3-1 half time lead slip, not to mention how that season ended.
Very hard to forget - I think it was Sammy Stockley's only ever home goal for us. An Arsenal fan at half time turned round to me and said "bloody hell, I didn't know football could be this entertaining, it's like watching Brazil'. I was very unhappy when Greenacre smashed home the equaliser.

Edit - and this maybe a different match but I seem to remember walking in through the turnstiles late as usual to watch the ball sailing over Lee Harrison's head from the half way line for their opener - was it this game?
jerroll

MCB wrote:
Sam_BFC wrote:
Very hard to forget - I think it was Sammy Stockley's only ever home goal for us. An Arsenal fan at half time turned round to me and said "bloody hell, I didn't know football could be this entertaining, it's like watching Brazil'. I was very unhappy when Greenacre smashed home the equaliser.

Edit - and this maybe a different match but I seem to remember walking in through the turnstiles late as usual to watch the ball sailing over Lee Harrison's head from the half way line for their opener - was it this game?
my abiding memory of that game was the Mansfield forward spending halftime walking round the pitch trying to find part of his nose which he broke in the first half!
amberforever

Whenever I took a impartial fan along they always picked out Sam Stockley as being outstanding. Indeed he was.
rudebwoyben

MCB wrote:
Sam_BFC wrote:

It was the same match! Sammy’ headed goal in that match was outstanding!
ninestein

I believe Mark Blake opened the scoring for Mansfield by launching it high from the half way line, catching out Lee Harrison. He'd actually done the same thing on the opening day and scored that way too. I remember seeing it on the highlights show. He simply repeated the trick against us!

As i recall, we were actually supposed to be away to Mansfield that afternoon, but because Field Mill was undergoing major building work that summer, they were allowed to switch some of their early fixtures. That season we started with 3 Saturday hame fixtures. Shrewsbury (3-0), Mansfield (3-3), and Cardiff (2-2).
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
letchbee94

While I was on youtube I come across this classic game from the home of football in same season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8uVVCHrRX0
Roy57

eastbarnetsupporter wrote:Check out my appearance in Footy Adventures Youtube video of Barnet vs Boreham Wood! (includes stadium tour and snippets of the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7FhdcytSeg

Yes, it's not quite a 'North London' derby as stated, but it's not a Hertfordshire one either. Does open up the question as to how we define our fixture with Boreham Wood. They're closer to Underhill than us!

Enjoy :D
Very impressed with your video. Journey to ground. Interview with supporter. Etc. Keep the good work going.
Roy57

eastbarnetsupporter wrote:Check out my appearance in Footy Adventures Youtube video of Barnet vs Boreham Wood! (includes stadium tour and snippets of the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7FhdcytSeg

Yes, it's not quite a 'North London' derby as stated, but it's not a Hertfordshire one either. Does open up the question as to how we define our fixture with Boreham Wood. They're closer to Underhill than us!

Enjoy :D
Very impressed with your video. Journey to ground. Interview with supporter. Etc. Keep the good work going.
amberforever

Barnet 4 Lincoln 3. Why does that Underhill game just seem so like the real deal for atmosphere!!?
The Hive seems so much more sanitised.
adher36

amberforever wrote:Barnet 4 Lincoln 3. Why does that Underhill game just seem so like the real deal for atmosphere!!?
It wasn't sanitised when people bothered to show up i.e the Gateshead and Brentford games. It's the people that are the issue, not the stadium.
becbee

amberforever wrote:Barnet 4 Lincoln 3. Why does that Underhill game just seem so like the real deal for atmosphere!!?
To be fair, that match would have been exciting wherever it had been played. I am not championing The Hive but I do remember some dire atmosphere's at Underhill on occasions too. Some cold evening matches with poor attendances and poor football spring to mind.
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote:
To be fair, that match would have been exciting wherever it had been played. I am not championing The Hive but I do remember some dire atmosphere's at Underhill on occasions too. Some cold evening matches with poor attendances and poor football spring to mind.
It’s some v almost all IMO.
amberforever

becbee wrote:
Very true: having a good size crowd makes it so much better as in the Brentford and Gateshead matches. The songs and chants from both supporters seemed so much better at that old match.