BeesPod interview with Tony Kleanthous

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Mem Beespod

BeesPod interview with Tony Kleanthous

On Saturday, Iain & Mem sat down with Barnet Football Club chairman, Mr Tony Kleanthous, for a frank, wide-ranging and open conversation about the Bees

Part 1 is out now wherever you get your podcasts!

Recorded in-person at the Hive, Part 1 includes :

-What inspired TK to buy the club?
-What caused the move to the Hive?
-Does TK want a return to Barnet?
-What's gone wrong this season?
-Why did the 2017-2018 season hit so hard?
-Why was the Trust a disaster?

Part 2 will be released later this week, with discussions on the furloughing of players, issues with recruitment, plans for developing the Hive and much, much more.

A huge thank you to the chairman and Adam Rowe for taking the time and being open to the idea of an interview.

Let's hope this is the start of a more productive and transparent conversation between the club and supporters.

We hope you enjoy the episode and, as ever, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

COYB

Iain & Mem

https://soundcloud.com/beespod/episode- ... iew-part-1
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
ETBee

Re: BeesPod interview with Tony Kleanthous

Let's hope TK was asked whether he intends to do all he can to keep and support SB 100% and allow him to build a team which will succeed in the NL. I for one am not really interested in the past and history of the Club.
MCB

Just finished, a worthy listen for everyone. Well done everyone who made this happen.

It's fascinating that something so simple can make a huge difference, openness is key.
Sam_BFC

Looking forward to it. Credit to all involved.
MCB wrote: openness is key.
Let sunlight be the disinfectant
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in
etc.
Norfolkbee

I think part one has confirmed much of what we all suspected as to why we've arrived in our current position. I now look forward to part two and hearing more about the way forward.
magiovinium_bee

Enjoyable listen, well done and thank you guys for getting this over the line. Looking forward to episode 2!
beew

very insightful.

I never knew the trust was in competition with the SA.

Disagree about people parking across peoples drives on Totteridge Lane though, which never happened, as I used to drive up that road at 2.30pm, maybe he was referring to Mays Lane and the surrounding roads.

From a personal point of view I’d like to see pressure put on Barnet council to disclose the dodgy dealings in refusing us a right to a new home in the borough, but then granting Nigel Wray, W&F and St Kerranns a home when they had no historical/geographical rights.

Maybe that question can be put to TK on subsequent interview.
barnet_pls

So fascinating to hear from him directly...learnt amazing things - even after supporting for 35 years ! Can't believe the comedy of errors despite bes intentions! Like most things cock up rather than conspiracy is always the case !!! (tho for 25 years is a bit much !)
BEEGONE

Interesting stuff, plenty to unpick.

The supporters trust and their political agenda trying to destroy the club. I notice none of them follow the team now. Who owns the shares now?

John Still his cronyism and big pay checks for mates.

Zero mention of Darren Currie.

The huge amounts of wasted money in league 2 and parachute payments.

McGee applying pressure to ensure Westley got the job.
Rossi walking out as he wouldn’t take onboard help.

This interview should have happened years ago!

Well done fellas.
Mem Beespod

BEEGONE wrote:Interesting stuff, plenty to unpick.

The supporters trust and their political agenda trying to destroy the club. I notice none of them follow the team now. Who owns the shares now?

John Still his cronyism and big pay checks for mates.

Zero mention of Darren Currie.

The huge amounts of wasted money in league 2 and parachute payments.

McGee applying pressure to ensure Westley got the job.
Rossi walking out as he wouldn’t take onboard help.

This interview should have happened years ago!

Well done fellas.
DC is discussed in part 2

RE: Rossi, that’s not what TK said. Rossi had decided he didn’t want to be the manager just as McGhee started. It wasn’t because of McGhee. Rossi has confirmed that with me himself. You have to remember at that time, Rossi was really struggling and some supporters were getting on his case, including abusing his father. He just had enough.

#Beebot

Is it just me or does TK imply (as the initial club statement implied) that Bassey is simply a "coach" and acting as interim boss until a permanent replacement is found?
Mem Beespod

#Beebot wrote:Is it just me or does TK imply (as the initial club statement implied) that Bassey is simply a "coach" and acting as interim boss until a permanent replacement is found?
We picked up on this and he answered this in Part 2

Mikel Bee

Very good listen that. May be wrong but I don't think we've heard TK speak (instead of write) publicly to the fans at this length since the Q&A sessions in the Durham suite during Fairclough's first spell. Looking forward to part two.
#Beebot wrote:Is it just me or does TK imply (as the initial club statement implied) that Bassey is simply a "coach" and acting as interim boss until a permanent replacement is found?
No, I got that same impression also.
DSM

Mr Smart following the interview do you have confidence that a much more generous and competitive budget will be put forward next season?

Thanks for this it was groundbreaking for us Barnet fans to hear directly from TK and I felt he had a sincerity about his intentions which I questioned beforehand thinking there were other more important financial motives

Irritated about confirmation about John Still sympathy purchasing D&R players, he’s now advising D&R on purchasing top NLS talent and had a role in Mauro going there.....we certainly got the raw end of his efforts!
letchbee94

Listening to it now, he just on about when we went up in 2005 and I have to agree with TK that PF should have kept the same formation that got us up, not sure if we would have gone up again what TK says about but I think we might have done better then we did in 2006, hindsight is wonderful thing mind.