National League Season Ended

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
DerekRocholl

Re: National League Season Ended

Is it fair to assume that once the National League made the decision not to complete the season, existing player contact terms remained in force and all the out of contract players will have to be released because furlough arrangements can’t apply ?

if so there is no way back and perhaps the fairest outcome is to decide positions on points per game and let the top 2 go up and the bottom 4 go down, assuming of course there haven’t been clubs folding before it makes any difference.
simples169

so now the premier league has decided it might re start in a few weeks time does that not make it more likely the efl will play on then so should the national league with proper promotions and relegation
national league decision has been taken a bit too soon
#Beebot

simples169 wrote:so now the premier league has decided it might re start in a few weeks time does that not make it more likely the efl will play on then so should the national league with proper promotions and relegation
No because the NL can't afford to play behind closed doors.
jerroll

simples169 wrote:so now the premier league has decided it might re start in a few weeks time does that not make it more likely the efl will play on then so should the national league with proper promotions and relegation
PL/EFL contracts run to 30/6, some NL clubs only contract players until playoff final date so not enough time to fit remainder of season in.
RichardM

#Beebot wrote:
I doubt whether many EFL clubs can afford to play behind closed doors.
#Beebot

RichardM wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
Agree, but I think some form of subsidy to L1/L2 is likely just to see the season out.
beew

RichardM wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
Can't see why. They are paying the players, so if games went out on ifollow they'd be earning for every home game broadcast. I'd guess even our home games would attract a paying audience of over 1000 after all these weeks of no football. I'd certainly pay to watch knowing it would help the club.
BEEGONE

Really good run down by Accy’s John Coleman as to why the season cannot be continued:[tweet] https://twitter.com/andyhholt/status/12 ... 44192?s=21[/tweet]
Norfolk & Chance

beew wrote:
RichardM wrote:
#Beebot wrote:

Can't see why. They are paying the players, so if games went out on ifollow they'd be earning for every home game broadcast. I'd guess even our home games would attract a paying audience of over 1000 after all these weeks of no football. I'd certainly pay to watch knowing it would help the club.
I agree 100%.
Yes we'd love to be there with our mates making a day of it but we can't!!
Most of us are desperate for football and to see out the season.
I'd pretty much pay what it took to see/listen to games and there'd likely be plenty more who would too.
dawat

becbee wrote:I cannot see that they wouldn't use the points per game calculation, it would be grossly unfair otherwise.
Bad enough for us but in NLN, York are currently top with 66 points from 34 games, Kings Lynn are second with 64 points from 38 games.
Average points per game, York 1.94, Kings Lynn 2.0. I can't imagine there's any way that Kings Lynn accept not having final standings by points per game.
By my calculation Kings Lynn are on 1.68 points per game!
jerroll

dawat wrote:
becbee wrote:I cannot see that they wouldn't use the points per game calculation, it would be grossly unfair otherwise.
Bad enough for us but in NLN, York are currently top with 66 points from 34 games, Kings Lynn are second with 64 points from 38 games.
Average points per game, York 1.94, Kings Lynn 2.0. I can't imagine there's any way that Kings Lynn accept not having final standings by points per game.
By my calculation Kings Lynn are on 1.68 points per game!
they have played 32 so 2.0 is correct
hoofer2

I expect the EFL will have an influence on what happens regarding promotion from the NL and expect the outcome will be Barrow going up and Stevenage avoiding relegation.

Neil Ardley is very forthright in his views of completion of play-offs in this weekends NLP, however expect a lot of resistance from Clubs destined for the drop or will miss out on play-offs if PPG is decided. It could be that the NL have a play-off winner who is denied promotion to EFL.

The other big factor is there is an increased risk of injury to all players due to absence of day to day group training/matches. Surely some sort of pre-season to match condition players will be required before playing 90mins? This needs to be thought through carefully.

Perhaps this may be an unexpected chance to align European football seasons to prepare for Qatar World Cup?

I'd like to see 3 up from NL back for discussion. With the "3rd" team playing off against the team "22nd in League 2" over 2 legs.
MCB

No real update, but it's possible our season hasn't ended after all....
ETBee

We're lower than 7th so we wouldn't be involved in the playoffs.
#Beebot

ETBee wrote:We're lower than 7th so we wouldn't be involved in the playoffs.
Not if PPG was used to rearrange the table.