BeesPod interview with Tony Kleanthous

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: BeesPod interview with Tony Kleanthous

Postby northantsbee » 04 May 2021, 20:31

Interesting to hear him say that he'd essentially switched off after we got relegated and appointed John Still because he happened to be on holiday in Cyprus when he was out there himself. Thought there may have been some probing about Currie's departure and it was notable that he was only mentioned in passing as coming in with John Still. Maybe he's mentioned in Part 2.

All in all very interesting. He appears to have acknowledged he has made some big errors of judgement and is determined to put things right.
northantsbee

Postby Mr Smart » 04 May 2021, 20:33

DSM wrote:Mr Smart following the interview do you have confidence that a much more generous and competitive budget will be put forward next season?

Thanks for this it was groundbreaking for us Barnet fans to hear directly from TK and I felt he had a sincerity about his intentions which I questioned beforehand thinking there were other more important financial motives

Irritated about confirmation about John Still sympathy purchasing D&R players, he’s now advising D&R on purchasing top NLS talent and had a role in Mauro going there.....we certainly got the raw end of his efforts!

I’m not sure he will suddenly give us a Salford like budget BUT in Part 2 he talks about his plans for recruitment of players which gives me a lot of confidence we won’t end up blasting our budget with 35 player squads every season.
Mr Smart

Postby john dockers shorts » 04 May 2021, 20:34

Brilliant, this was a much needed tonic for us supporters. John Still really is a massive bell.
john dockers shorts

Postby beew » 04 May 2021, 20:38

BEEGONE wrote:Interesting stuff, plenty to unpick.

The supporters trust and their political agenda trying to destroy the club. I notice none of them follow the team now. Who owns the shares now?

John Still his cronyism and big pay checks for mates.

Zero mention of Darren Currie.

The huge amounts of wasted money in league 2 and parachute payments.

McGee applying pressure to ensure Westley got the job.
Rossi walking out as he wouldn’t take onboard help.

This interview should have happened years ago!

Well done fellas.

I forget to say well done. This is what we need to try and uncover the truth and hopefully bond the supporters together.
beew

Postby Norfolkbee » 04 May 2021, 20:49

letchbee94 wrote:Listening to it now, he just on about when we went up in 2005 and I have to agree with TK that PF should have kept the same formation that got us up, not sure if we would have gone up again what TK says about but I think we might have done better then we did in 2006, hindsight is wonderful thing mind.

The title-winning side was sound enough. The problem was that PF didn't strengthen the squad by bringing in the likes of Flitney, Soares and the aptly-named Gross.
Norfolkbee

Postby Mr Smart » 04 May 2021, 20:56

Gross was an appalling left back. Such a shame that Clist was adamant he wanted to be an average conference CM rather than a league LB
Mr Smart

Postby #Beebot » 04 May 2021, 20:57

Great interview which confirms much of what I already suspected - transfer fees are rare at this level so I found it utterly bizarre that we paid many for four average players in Adams, Boucaud, Robson and Sparkes. It did feel like we were doing Dagenham a favour.
#Beebot

Postby letchbee94 » 04 May 2021, 20:59

I thought Kenny Jackett was being talked bout in the Feb 2017 (2016-2017 season)? And not 2017-2018 ?
letchbee94

Postby Norfolkbee » 04 May 2021, 21:36

letchbee94 wrote:I thought Kenny Jackett was being talked bout in the Feb 2017 (2016-2017 season)? And not 2017-2018 ?

My understanding is that we would've liked KJ to step in before the end of the 2016/17 season, but he couldn't because of some clause in his contract when he suddenly left Rotherham. If indeed he was coming to Barnet, it would've been at the start of the 17/18 campaign, but he got a better offer from Pompey and went there in June 2017. I believe there had been strong hints that Bees had a "name" manager lined up, but we were ultimate sold Rossi as the next Eddie Howe.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 04 May 2021, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Norfolkbee

Postby Valter E » 04 May 2021, 21:38

Great interview!
Valter E

Postby Hiveoccupier » 04 May 2021, 22:23

BEEGONE wrote:
The supporters trust and their political agenda trying to destroy the club. I notice none of them follow the team now. Who owns the shares now?

This is bollocks.

THe BFCSA membership voted almost unanimously to convert to Supporters Trust. With the exception of Eddie who stayed In post as Chairperson for continuity the Trust board was elected by members. 3 of the Trust Directors who were elected no longer follow the club, but 3 do (I have a season ticket, and would be surprised if that isn’t the case at least one of the other former directors.)

Good question about the whereabouts of the supporters shares. Despite multiple requests to the old BFCSA committee and the Club’s Company Secretary they were never transferred to The Trust. The last I heard they were held by Jeff Searle in his name, but that may have changed. However it is probably irrelevant because they are worth less than nothing and TK has in the past said that he could demand that the shareholders contribute to Club losses if he wasn’t so magnanimous !

As for the “political agenda”, there wasn’t one. The difficulty in the relationship between TK and those who pressed for the BFCSA to convert to a Trust stems back to TK reneging on an agreement to put any move away from Underhill to a vote. He followed up on this by lots of petulant responses to anything the Trust tried to do to represent supporters. This included refusing to even read the results of a wide ranging survey of over 300 supporters, and refusing to talk to the Trust because he didn’t like part of the Trusts constitution that was a standard part of the model constitution provided by the Supporters Direct movement, and didn’t get any opposition from any other Club.

The bit he didn’t like was the part which made it a requirement on the Trust Board to seek to obtain transparency over the Club’s financial position from its owner.

When we finally got to meet with him to discuss how we might work more positively he agreed to support the Back to Barnet campaign on the grounds that the move to the Hive was only temporary, but pulled his support as soon as the contractual path was clear to sell the Underhill Freehold to the Education Funding Agency without him having to share 40% of the proceeds with Barnet Council.
Hiveoccupier

Postby beesknees99 » 04 May 2021, 23:02

john dockers shorts wrote:Brilliant, this was a much needed tonic for us supporters. John Still really is a massive bell.
Agreed. The John Still stuff is a disgrace.
beesknees99

Postby beesknees99 » 04 May 2021, 23:04

Illuminating stuff, particularly that he felt disengaged since the 2018 relegation.

I don’t think he’s alone in that, I think for many fans including myself, a part of us died that season.

Bit dramatic, OK, but that relegation was truly devastating, and its effects are still being felt.
beesknees99

Postby barnetjohn » 04 May 2021, 23:55

It was good that Tony sat down and did a podcast. Having a proper conversation with two fans is a much better way to communicate than the old school statements, and labelling fans twittering idiots. Tony always comes across pretty well in conversation. You can agree or disagree with his decisions but it's obvious he does care about the club.

I have to say I think his account of the move from Underhill does have a fair few inaccuracies and embellishments in it though.

*It's not fair to say that the trust was in competition with the SA and wanted to "get their hands on the shares". The BFCSA members voted to convert into a trust. A trust was and is a different organisational form which is how most supporters organise themselves. One advantage is that the trust as a legal entity can hold shares, whereas a supporters association cannot. As a result, the shares had to be held by an individual "on behalf" of the trust- I believe at the time the trust got frozen they were trying to arrange a transfer of the shares. [Subsequently of course, the whole issues about supporters trust has got inextricably linked with the views on the Hive of its first directors- but the basic issue about what organisational form to have is a separate one.

*The line about people behind the trust "wanting to divide the fans" is a clever one but a bit misleading. It basically means you either have to agree with TK and thus "be united" or otherwise get accused of dividing people. The people in charge of the trust wanted a referendum before leaving Underhill- something that TK himself had originally promised Barnet fans but then reneged on. I've noticed TK use this line a few times since and it's not always that helpful. Plenty of Barnet fans are not out to divide the fan base or cause trouble, they just have a different view on certain aspects of things.

*The stuff on the KBA and things "getting politicised" was a bit strange- I was on the committee at the time, and we worked closely alongside TK to support the clubs plans. At times we did campaign against the council, because we felt there was a clear divide between the parties relative stances on the club.

*The story about the "temporary" nature of the move to the Hive didn't quite ring true. It was clear to a lot of fans from the get go that TK wanted the move to be permanent, but badged it as a "temporary" move to make it more palatable for fans. In the beginning when TK bought the Hive he even denied any intention to move there, and labelled fans who said in 2012 that the move was going to be permanent as "conspiracy theories"

For background info and before people pile in- I have no agenda here or brief for the anti-Hive elements of Barnet fans. I was active in the KBA and wasn't in the anti-Hive camp. From my time campaigning in favour of South Underhill, I am well aware of the limits of Underhill and the planning problems we have. And yes the council were unhelpful towards the club and at times antagonistic towards us as fans (I can still remember us being barred for several local events and being dismissed and even goaded by councillors at public events). I would probably have voted in favour of moving in any referendum. I am season ticket holder and go most weeks home and away.

I write this only because I think what TK said on the ground issue was somewhat skewed. I think part of the disillusionment Barnet fans have was the feeling of being bounced into moving to the Hive, and the lack of transparency around the process.

It's great that TK has done a podcast, and I welcome this style of communicating. It makes a good contrast to the footage of Mr Glazer scuttling away across a parking lot in Florida refusing any comment about the Man United situation. Don't take this post as a rant against TK or the podcast. Lots of good things in the first half of the podcast (haven't had a chance to listen to the rest yet!), but wanted to post on the ground stuff as I thought it was an important topic which has been a bit misunderstood over the years.

-----

Some sources on the above:
1. Here's the Barnet times article where TK offers a referendum on leaving the borough
https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/new ... ultimatum/

2. Here's the article where TK dismisses claims we are moving to the Hive permanently as "conspiracy theories"
https://www.times-series.co.uk/sport/98 ... ar-future/
barnetjohn

Postby Sam_BFC » 05 May 2021, 01:31

Great listen. It is difficult not to sympathise with much of what is said.
- Interesting point that the council were demanding that all games be all ticket during the period that TK arrived. It is actually something my older brother has expressed frustration about in the past...I wonder how many (semi) regular fans that might have cost us in the post Fry era.
- All credit to TK if he really would be up for pursuing a return to Barnet if we had our ducks in a row, so to speak, but really hard to imagine how he could seriously justify that or have the capacity for it alongside the Hive operation.
- Perhaps this will be discussed more in the next portion, but could he have been pressed more on his answer to that final question about late signings? Perhaps it varies from season to season, but it isn't always an issue for us, and doesn't seem to be such an issue for rivals, or if it is, they can only be in the same boat, particularly now we are back in the National League.

Looking forward to episode 2.

Bonus credit due to barnetjohn for his fair-spirited scrutiny, even if all that stuff is somewhat water under the bridge now.
Sam_BFC

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat