(Near) Rivals

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoppy

Re: (Near) Rivals

amberforever wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 21:45 Shocked to just notice Woking are second bottom. What’s gone wrong there?
Woking v Oxford City on Tuesday. If Oxford win then Woking could be bottom of the NL.
becbee

amberforever wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 21:45 Shocked to just notice Woking are second bottom. What’s gone wrong there?
Last season Woking finished 4th - above us with 8 points more. I suppose when feeling down about our current plight it's always worth thinking about how much worse things could be.
Tuesds

It’s mad - it’s not even as if Woking had an exodus of good players. I think James Daly - who painfully for them is now at their bitter rivals Aldershot - was the only player they lost who wasn’t surplus to their requirements. And they ‘strengthened’ - in theory - with a load of new signings too.

They did have a terrible injury crisis, and from a distance I would suggest that for that reason they should’ve stuck with Darren Sarll, who had shown they he could get them playing very well and possibly would’ve done again if given more time.

But those who actually watch them would know better than me.

And yeah, ‘at least I don’t support Woking’ is a positive way to look at things for us! Especially as they haven’t had anything like as much success as us over the last 35 years or so, despite being a one-club town with more fans than us.
pgbee

Tuesds wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 22:44 It’s mad - it’s not even as if Woking had an exodus of good players. I think James Daly - who painfully for them is now at their bitter rivals Aldershot - was the only player they lost who wasn’t surplus to their requirements. And they ‘strengthened’ - in theory - with a load of new signings too.

They did have a terrible injury crisis, and from a distance I would suggest that for that reason they should’ve stuck with Darren Sarll, who had shown they he could get them playing very well and possibly would’ve done again if given more time.

And yeah, ‘at least I don’t support Woking’ is a positive way to look at things for us! Especially as they haven’t had anything like as much success as us over the last 35 years or so, despite being a one-club town with more fans than us.
Apart from winning the Trophy twice and media grabbing Cup runs but unlike us have never been in the League and out of it three times...
Tuesds

pgbee wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 08:55
Tuesds wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 22:44 It’s mad - it’s not even as if Woking had an exodus of good players. I think James Daly - who painfully for them is now at their bitter rivals Aldershot - was the only player they lost who wasn’t surplus to their requirements. And they ‘strengthened’ - in theory - with a load of new signings too.

Apart from winning the Trophy twice and media grabbing Cup runs but unlike us have never been in the League and out of it three times...
Fair point about the cup runs and the trophy wins. But as well as spending most of this period in a lower league than us, even when we’re at the same level they’ve almost always finished below us. The last 3 years were more even, with very similar outcomes for us both. This season is a return to normality!
tonbridgebee

Sam_BFC wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 18:33 And am I right that Watson was interviewed for the Bees job around the time of Beadle and/or Flowers?
Not 100% sure, was one of the names I put forward as a replacement for DC at the time.
hoofer2

Won Trophy 3 times + 2 x 2nd and 2 x 3rd place in conference - all in the same 5 years
Tuesds

hoofer2 wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 16:45

Won Trophy 3 times + 2 x 2nd and 2 x 3rd place in conference - all in the same 5 years
Yep, good record. Their glory days. All while we were one or two divisions above them, in the Football League.

They’d never even made the play-offs at National League level until last season. We’ve had three NL play-off campaigns and three EFL play-off campaigns, in addition to our 3 Conference titles and one automatic promotion to League 1.

All I’m saying is Barnet Rules OK.

As for how superior we’ve been to Wealdstone, well, where to start. Wouldn’t want to upset any lurkers from the Ruislip Manor FC groundstealers, however. They seem to rather take these things to heart.
rudebwoyben

We are Sui generis. We’re the only traditional non-league club who have never played below this level since this league was created in 1979. Even clubs such as Wycombe, Burton Albion and our lovely neighbours up the A1 have had a few seasons below this level in the same period.
Sam_BFC

Thanks to those that shared the concerning news regarding the plights of Rochdale and Torquay.

BBC Sport have picked this up. Interesting claim that Rochdale would be one of the best investments in football
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68370294

Surprising that Gary Johnson was still in a job at Torquay with them only in midtable until the point deduction
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68372224
becbee

Torquay United to go into Administration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224

Following on from Rochdale situation, more bad news for another club.
simmosenior

Torquay to go into administration

Duplicated BecBee's post so deleted.
Last edited by simmosenior on 23 Feb 2024, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony

Does anyone know what is going on at Torquay? Heard some news but can't find a link anywhere.
becbee

Anthony wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 22:17 Does anyone know what is going on at Torquay? Heard some news but can't find a link anywhere.
I suggest you have a read of their fans forum, that's pretty informative.
Tuesds

becbee wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 22:43
Anthony wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 22:17 Does anyone know what is going on at Torquay? Heard some news but can't find a link anywhere.
I suggest you have a read of their fans forum, that's pretty informative.
I found a link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224