Chesterfield (A) The Chester Way I'm Fielding Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee_Forever

So..... Saturday sees the bees travel to the galacticos of Non League, Chesterfield FC in a top of the table Bananarama League clash.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank Chesterfield for giving us the honour of playing them on their triumphant return to the league. I just hope they treat us kindly and don't beat us too heavily :huh: . Being serious though, going by the views of some of our fans despite only being 2 points ahead of us and with an identical record to us in the last 5 games, Chesterfield are in fact the next coming of Wrexham and have already got the league sown up. For those negative posters I have but two things to say. Carlisle 2005, Bristol Rovers 2014. Both bigger a clubs. Both fell at our hands. Yes we may end up getting done over by them but with our current squad I am confident we can sustain a title challenge.

We have got two coaches going to the game, the one organised by the sterling efforts of the BFCSA and the ever present Percy Bus which is a positive and with tickets selling well apparently (I have not been obsessively checking the Chesterfield Seating plan) we should bring a good number to the game. Chesterfield is famous for its Roman Fort and this feels like the perfect opportunity to Caesar key victory which will keep us in the chase. While Paul Fairclough loved warriors what we need is Gladiators in what will be a heated atmosphere in the Shake My Head stadium. I just hope that our referee is able to handle the pressure and that Brennan is not crying "infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy" at his post match press conference.

In terms of team line up we have gone from having a tapestry of injured players to a near fully fit squad and working out who to risk and who to rest will be a Sator Square level puzzle for Deano. I would go fairly safe for this.

---------------------------------Walker--------------------------

--------------Collinge----------Oluwu-----------Okimo--------

----Cropper-------------------Hartigan--------------Kanu-----

------------Stead--------------Brunt---------Pritchard---------

-------------------------------Kabamba---------------------------

Subs: Potter, Wynter, Hooper, Gorman, Senior

I am missing this one as it is my Gran's 90th. Hopefully the swarm of bees heading up the M1 will be able to bring back the three points.

COYB's
barnet_pls

Re: Chesterfield (A) The Chester Way I'm Fielding Match Thread

Gorman on the bench??? - we're always much better with him playing imo. In every way....he has to start
jerroll

i would be concerned if that back 5 starts as 3 of them lack match fitness, Oluwu and Cropper both looked extremely rusty last night and could benefit from another weeks training before throwing them into the lineup!
Bee_Forever

jerroll wrote:i would be concerned if that back 5 starts as 3 of them lack match fitness, Oluwu and Cropper both looked extremely rusty last night and could benefit from another weeks training before throwing them into the lineup!
Yes it was probably a bit risky on reflection. Perhaps Potter for Oluwu.

Wynter is the worry at right wing back. He is in and out of form and fitness and was eviscerated by rochdale's winger.

If cropper is unready I can't see we have much choice

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Bee_Forever

barnet_pls wrote:Gorman on the bench??? - we're always much better with him playing imo. In every way....he has to start
So you'd play him ahead of Brunt?

BeesKnees99

Bee_Forever wrote:
barnet_pls wrote:Gorman on the bench??? - we're always much better with him playing imo. In every way....he has to start
So you'd play him ahead of Brunt?

Brunt is an enigma. Clearly has bags of quality and you always believe he can make something happen when he gets the ball. But he just hasn’t yet reached anywhere near his potential. Some games seem to pass him by entirely.

This is exactly the sort of game where he needs to show his mettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chainsaw

Even a Zak Brunt playing below his massive potential makes my XI any day of the week. I think he's a big game player and will relish Saturday. He has that flash of brilliance which can turn a game suddenly.
hoppy

Chainsaw wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 20:54 Even a Zak Brunt playing below his massive potential makes my XI any day of the week. I think he's a big game player and will relish Saturday. He has that flash of brilliance which can turn a game suddenly.
Whisper it very quietly, but Zak Brunt was born in Chesterfield.
rudebwoyben

That’s why a Chesterfield fan on 1FF was able to give me the scoop that he was about to sign for us as he knows Zak’s family!
djhdjh

jerroll wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 18:44 i would be concerned if that back 5 starts as 3 of them lack match fitness, Oluwu and Cropper both looked extremely rusty last night and could benefit from another weeks training before throwing them into the lineup!
Are we really going to worry about how they looked in the Dog and Duck Cup? If they got through 90 minutes or however long they played without getting injured and felt alright the next day, that's what we needed from the game. As to performance it has to be judged in the context that they can hardly have been very motivated by it.

I suspect Dean's decision will be coloured by how he feels about the alternatives more than their match fitness. If he trusts the alternative option he'll hold them out and he'll play them if not.
Ajtheone04

I think Gorman's been carrying an injury and has consequently been in Rob Hall mode in recent weeks.
If we were to put him in I'd probably drop Stead. You could be more defeatist and say Chesterfield will likely out play us at home anyway and therefore drop Hartigan but that's not Dean's mindset. I think Gorm may have to be content with being in and out of the team until something shifts.
ninestein

Chesterfield are a good side. They are where they are for a reason, but so are we.

They will try to keep the ball, but we can hurt them when we turn it over. We just need to be ruthless when we get our chances. Needs to be a textbook away performance. Make the home fans quiet and restless. Nick a goal, then manage the game well.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
becbee

Bee_Forever wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 19:11
jerroll wrote:i would be concerned if that back 5 starts as 3 of them lack match fitness, Oluwu and Cropper both looked extremely rusty last night and could benefit from another weeks training before throwing them into the lineup!
Yes it was probably a bit risky on reflection. Perhaps Potter for Oluwu.

Wynter is the worry at right wing back. He is in and out of form and fitness and was eviscerated by rochdale's winger.

If cropper is unready I can't see we have much choice

Wynter undeniably had a torrid 45 minutes v Sinclair at Rochdale but I can't recall any other occasion when he was anywhere near that outplayed.
BGr

Crowd likely to be approaching 10k with over 500 bees. Hope the players don’t wilt in the heat, essential not to concede early in this game I think, if we let them get on top they have proven against Pompey that they have the guile to stifle even the most prolific teams. Let’s hope it’s a momentary return to their early season mentality of “scoring one more than the opposition”.
pletch99

becbee wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 07:57 Wynter undeniably had a torrid 45 minutes v Sinclair at Rochdale but I can't recall any other occasion when he was anywhere near that outplayed.
Wynter's performance on Tuesday is a massive concern from me. There was one occasion where he ran level with a Broadfield striker for 30 yards, then let him shoot from a few yards with no effort to intervene. Fortunately, it wasn't a good shot and Gilmore was more than equal to it. However, I doubt Chesterfield would be so wasteful. For me Wynter hasn't been anywhere near his level from last year all season (although he had a slow start last year too.)

It is a dilema though Hall Johnson is presumably unavailable, Cropper isn't match fit, Wynter is out of form, Baird isn't a right back. I might be tempted to play Collinge their, if Oluwu is deemed fit enough to play and have Wynter or Cropper on the bench.