If it's John Still...

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
John_c

Re: If it's John Still...

MCB wrote:I'm warming to John Still.

Statistically he's the most successful manager for getting out of the conference (Jerroll?) - and although he underachieved 23 years ago playing dull football, it's apparent that he's developed his style - Luton & Dagenham fans have talked up how well he did with them.

And he has an unparalleled record for bringing through amazing youngsters from non-league, Craig Mackail-Smith, Shane Blackett, Paul Benson, Dwight Gayle and probably many others. His Luton Town team won 5–0, 6–0 and 7–0 over Alfreton Town, Kidderminster Harriers and Hereford United in the conference winning year, he always has a focus on fitness and attitude. Martin Allen talked about speaking to Still at length and adapting his methods when at Barnet (i.e. using playmakers early in the season when pitches are good, changing style over the winter). He knows the chairman who knows him. And he'd bring Darren Currie with him.

OK, sorry, that's all tosh, it's all a thinly veiled excuse to post this again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1y5_TVeSSE
Underachieved?

He got us to the play offs in League 2. We can only dream of that these days.

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
foxy

John_c wrote:
MCB wrote:I'm warming to John Still.

Statistically he's the most successful manager for getting out of the conference (Jerroll?) - and although he underachieved 23 years ago playing dull football, it's apparent that he's developed his style - Luton & Dagenham fans have talked up how well he did with them.

And he has an unparalleled record for bringing through amazing youngsters from non-league, Craig Mackail-Smith, Shane Blackett, Paul Benson, Dwight Gayle and probably many others. His Luton Town team won 5–0, 6–0 and 7–0 over Alfreton Town, Kidderminster Harriers and Hereford United in the conference winning year, he always has a focus on fitness and attitude. Martin Allen talked about speaking to Still at length and adapting his methods when at Barnet (i.e. using playmakers early in the season when pitches are good, changing style over the winter). He knows the chairman who knows him. And he'd bring Darren Currie with him.

OK, sorry, that's all tosh, it's all a thinly veiled excuse to post this again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1y5_TVeSSE
Underachieved?

He got us to the play offs in League 2. We can only dream of that these days.

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Valter E

From a Daggers tweet ; John Still has resigned as Daggers manager...
ninestein

Valter E wrote:From a Daggers tweet ; John Still has resigned as Daggers manager...
Place your bets people...
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
PBBee

ninestein wrote:
Valter E wrote:From a Daggers tweet ; John Still has resigned as Daggers manager...
Place your bets people...
In to 1/5 now
barnetpete

It might just happen
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
RichardM

"Over the last couple of weeks, a club that I know very well has been on and on and on". Could that be the Bees?
Last edited by RichardM on 17 May 2018, 21:38, edited 2 times in total.
Jon83

Crikey! You read that paper story and it looks nailed on that we’ve approached him...
RichardM

Jon83 wrote:Crikey! You read that paper story and it looks nailed on that we’ve approached him...
Paddy Power, here I come.
STAB

Still resigned at Daggers yesterday.
becbee

The thought of John Still doesn't excite me at all. Sure he's been successful at D&R and Luton but I never watched those teams, my memory/ opinion is based on the turgid football he managed when I started watching Barnet in 1999/2000. I accept that all these years on that''s possibly unfair judgement / prejudice.

However: As far as any manager appointment could be considered safe. then JS could. And after most of our recent appointments, the idea of yet another disaster is too much to contemplate. I think it's a case of " Better the Devil you Know."

Of course at 68 years old, I can't see why he not prefer to either retire or take on a small part time club. But we're all different.
MCB

I think that there are two threads making similar posts. We have to accept that a) the football under Still was largely awful, interspersed with some nice stuff and b) his teams since he left us have played better, more successful football.

So i'll give him a 2nd chance. I see a 2 year contract. Only potential issues I see - apparently still was on 'six figure' - take that at the lowest of £100,000 a year, that's still double what MA was offered. Also apparently their budget was £1,300,000 - what was ours?!?

Still begs the question, can we afford him? Can we afford not to have him?

I think it's important for the fans that we get Darren Currie in as well. Daggers fans talking about Garry Hill - suppose he can try and do wonders on a tiny budget and keep them up last year.

So, not wishing to rub things in, but at their extraordinary meeting last night it was made clear that the entire Daggers squad that was still contracted (11 players) was up for sale. Striker Fejiri Okenabirhie was named England C player of the year - i'm sure a couple of others (not Bondz) will be worth looking at, as long as we pay D&R a fair and equitable sum for them.

Anyone know the D&R team? Anyone likely to follow Still? Andre Boucaud is a local lad? Luke Howell a replacement for Richard Brindley (those two are out of contract).

Also for those that missed the era under John Still, the first half of this game, we played some of the best football i've seen at Underhill. Better than Fry, better than Fairclough. OK, we didn't win, but Currie & Stockley that game :ohlord:

So it is possible.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVkGyUZhRI
wearebees

Didn’t MA say he had a long chat with Still in the pre-season of our Conference winning team? Gave him a lot of credit.

Waddock doesn’t seem to be interested so I think it would be about as good as an appointment as we could hope for. It’s a shame it wasn’t him instead of McGhee originally, as then I don’t think we’d be in this mess. What we need though is a long-term plan, which obviously isn’t Still. Maybe him as DoF long term but train up the likes of Nelson, Currie (!) or even Rossi for a few years time (though there's the risk of another Cottee...).

The article mentions a club has been on and on for a few weeks - does that mean we knew Allen was definitely leaving/didn't want him?

Still In!
ccollis_869

wearebees wrote:Didn’t MA say he had a long chat with Still in the pre-season of our Conference winning team? Gave him a lot of credit.

Waddock doesn’t seem to be interested so I think it would be about as good as an appointment as we could hope for. It’s a shame it wasn’t him instead of McGhee originally, as then I don’t think we’d be in this mess. What we need though is a long-term plan, which obviously isn’t Still. Maybe him as DoF long term but train up the likes of Nelson, Currie (!) or even Rossi for a few years time.

The article mentions a club has been on and on for a few weeks - does that mean we knew Allen was definitely leaving/didn't want him?

Still In!
Lets get Still in as DoF after his managerial stint (assuming it is him) and take all appointments off TK