Martin Allen? He's Just Trying to Earn a Living

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
DCIS23

Martin Allen? He's Just Trying to Earn a Living

Sorry, I know we are trying to move on from this, but it might be an interesting read. Can't say I agree with all of it, but is there a glimmer of a consiencse in Allen's tone?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... 22791.html
montydog

Re: Martin Allen? He's Just Trying to Earn a Living

Money is not everything but if I was offered a lot of money to move from a casual job to a full time position. I think I would do a Mad Dog.
I think he was dazzled by the money and from the interview was not aware of the manager attrition rate at Notts County. It may come back to haunt him.

Maybe Mad Dog can learn from my dog who disappeared to neighbour a few streets away but he came back quick smart when he did not get fed on-time. Maybe I should have slammed the door in his face like Barnet will surely do next time.
John_Carp1

"But they have got seven more points than they would have had if they hadn’t had me as a manager."

Once again, the idea is touted that it was guaranteed that we would lose to Chesterfield, Burton and Crewe under PF or anyone else but Martin Allen. This view is an insult to PF, based on nothing but supposition and MA's own arrogance. I have no truck with him leaving us, he barely had a contract with us anyway, and many would do the same in other professions. But his arrogance has once more got the better of him. Remember his "yesterday Barnet, today Brentford, tomorrow Barcelona" comment? Didn't quite work out did it. I'd take a whole heap of managers over him in a long term role.
Last edited by John_Carp1 on 13 Apr 2011, 09:26, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Kleanthous has not asked you your opinion on The Hive. This is because he doesn't care about your opinion. I think your opinion should matter.

Tony Kleanthous OUT.
pb1uk

Interesting read, and good on him for giving the money he earn back for players bonuses
markobee

[This Mirror article is also on another thread, I think.]
Regarding what to believe?:- It's difficult, as we hardly know him well enough (well, I don't). But he is either honest in what he is saying (to us, to the press etc), or he is one the best conmen (highly persuasive) that I have ever come across.
If the latter, then he shouldn't be in football management at all, since the worlds of politics or 'high finance' would seem to offer even better prospects for him?!
But I prefer to think that he actually means what he says. Perhaps his difficulty (hence his 'stop-start' career, to put it kindly) is that he simply can't concentrate long enough on one thing? Perhaps even now he is awaiting that phone call from ?Aston Villa. Who knows?

Meanwhile, if MA really wants to help Graz (and if Graz wants his help) - then why not? And why not save any more abuse for the man until after we have kept our place in the League?

Meanwhile - Come on Graz! COYB!
montydog

John_Carp1 wrote:"But they have got seven more points than they would have had if they hadn’t had me as a manager."

Once again, the idea is touted that it was guaranteed that we would lose to Chesterfield, Burton and Crewe under PF or anyone else but Martin Allen. This view is an insult to PF, based on nothing but supposition and MA's own arrogance. I have no truck with him leaving us, he barely had a contract with us anyway, and many would do the same in other professions. But his arrogance has once more got the better of him. Remember his "yesterday Barnet, today Brentford, tomorrow Barcelona" comment? Didn't quite work out did it. I'd take a whole heap of managers over him in a long term role.

Point taken and I agree the result might have been the same under PF who is a very good manager and the same could have been said when Hendon was dropped and PF took over. I think I read somewhere that PF admitted that the team just needed a motivator or a change of attitude to get them over the line and the MA change might do the trick. So it was with PF and TK deciding this course of action in unison and judging by some of the comments I am hearing the team is a lot more together and happier. So let’s move forward. I have always said we have drawn or lost games against better teams by the smallest of margins.

Maybe MA has been watching the Brian Clough movie too much "Bloody United" in the last 8 months at home
markobee

John_Carp1 wrote: Once again, the idea is touted that it was guaranteed that we would lose to Chesterfield, Burton and Crewe under PF or anyone else but Martin Allen. This view is an insult to PF, based on nothing but supposition and MA's own arrogance.
I think it's completely fair to say that it was well nigh certain that, under PF, we would not have taken 7 points from the Chesterfield, Burton and Crewe games. Those games came on the back of successive defeats against Morecambe and Aldershot (yes, by the odd goal, but every defeat is a defeat). And that was why the Club acted as is explained in the Club website on 23 March 2011, to replace PF with MA. No-one wishes to insult PF (well, I don't wish to, at least) - but let's be clear that we would not have these 7 points without the change that was made then.
The challenge now is to build on what MA has done.
Cme on Graz. COYB.
John_Carp1

Also, it shows what a BS merchant Allen is. Every interview after a good result he has emphasised that the credit goes "to the players" and how it was "the players" that did all the work. Yet every interview since he has left has emphasised that "without him" nothing would have been possible, instead of emphasising "the players" role in the turnaround.

He'd make a good politician. He has mastered the art of saying 'the right thing' at 'the right time' to whoever is employing him and supporting him that particular week.

Personally I would rather we try and find the next John Coleman, Sammy McIlroy, etc, than the next Martin Allen.
Tony Kleanthous has not asked you your opinion on The Hive. This is because he doesn't care about your opinion. I think your opinion should matter.

Tony Kleanthous OUT.
meden_820

Also says in the article that Tony offered MA a longer contract, kind of makes a mockery of the idea that he was going to be unemployed again within the month? :....:
grrgerald

Can't have been that skint. Probably got a few bob when he sold his soul to the Devil.
Unless the Devil slung it back at him having realised that it was worthless !!! :evil:
DCIS23

I think the lines which actually hinted that there may be a slither of acknowldegement he has done wrong were...

"Does it hurt me that I’ve left Barnet? Of course it hurts me. I can’t just walk away and say ‘f*** them’. It is not done out of nastiness or because I am evil. “People may think I am a callous bastard but it could not be further from the truth. I feel guilt, of course I do.

Now for me, that at least makes me think he is a bit more human than when the news came through Monday. As a poster above says, he is either compleltey misguided but is being geniuine or he is a very good con man. Maybe I am a bit naive but I think its the former.

No consilation for us mind.
Peter Piper

montydog wrote:I agree the result might have been the same under PF who is a very good manager............I am hearing the team is a lot more together and happier.

Good people, by all means feel free to criticise Allen for his gaudy self-promotion, and his fly-by-night attitude, but let's not deny his effect. If the squad was a 'lot more together and happier' during the Allen 'reign' it's near on a certainty that's where the corresponding positive effect on results came from, rather than PF's, no doubt painstaking groundwork over the previous months.

If Fairclough had any confidence in his ability to create such an dynamic imminently do you think he would have stepped aside? Was there an equally striking improvement in performance/results when PF took over from Stimson?

Just because you don't like the person let's not start to re-imagine reality. Unfortunately in football, as in life, bad guys often prosper where good men fail. :sad:
Monsieur Abeille

grrgerald wrote:Can't have been that skint. Probably got a few bob when he sold his soul to the Devil.
Unless the Devil slung it back at him having realised that it was worthless !!! :evil:
Beelzebub probably decided the soul's contract probably wasn't one he could trust Gerry, and besides I'm sure there are depths that even he wouldnt stoop to. :twisted:
MajorBrownEye

Errrrrrr excuse me. I am skint, I need the money, it was all about money....

THEN WHY DID YOU GIVE YOUR PAY TO THE PLAYERS?????????????????????????

Also, how can you give away something you haven't yet received?

The comment about not having received his pay reads as quite a snide dig, he was only employed for 19 days, the payroll details are probably still being processed!

Gobshite. Bullshitter. Spin artist. Call him what you want.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
letchbee94

Nice to read that he has given the money back that he has not yet been paid for the players when we stay up.