Happy Birthday to God

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
john dockers shorts

Re: Happy Birthday to God

My first kit, happy days!
magiovinium_bee

Criticism of Nicky ? I see it is confined to his first touch, dribbling skill blah, blah, blah. They are all missing the point. Nicky's unrivalled charisma, connection with the fans, film star looks compelled intelligent men to run onto pitches and bow at his feet with deferential gifts of flowers. I was at Loakes Park, I saw it.

He returned in '91 and his goals contributed to a change in fortunes and an unlikely promotion to the promised land. He is the Messiah, the Prodigal Son returned and we went up.

Scored goals in the league too. A hat-trick at Sincil Bank springs to mind, his contribution to the 6-0 rout was sizeable.

When left out of the side he was gracious in his disappointment (in the Old Red Lion) always making time to chat to his disciples.

They know not what they say Nicky.........Happy Birthday Sir !!
GRH

Reckless wrote:Sir Nicky in full glorious techicolour..........................

Many people mistakenly believed that it was a sponsor on the front of the shirts. In actual fact, it was an explaination of what happens when a defender tried to challenge Nicky.
Reckless

I salute you Magiovinium Bee perfectly put. If anyone is interested on my real take on Sir Nick I wrote this article for the club website about 10 years ago............

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING NICKY by Reckless

Do you remember those awful question and answer pages that used to appear in programmes where the player of the week would be asked about his favourite colour, the last LP he bought etc. etc. and at the bottom of the page would be space for his autograph? Well I would have given anything in 1983 to be the lucky person to interview Nicholas John Evans, but I would have asked him the kind of questions that the whole of the West Bank would have wanted to ask.
I ask you would we rather have known about his superstitions or what make of and what factor of sun protection cream he used? Were we interested in his ambitions for the future, his room mate on away games or the make of hairdryer that he used to carry in his kit bag? Did we care what was his favourite food? No I was more interested in what aftershave he was using. Why ask how he felt when he scored a goal, when he could describe the feeling of euphoria that must have swept over him witnessing his son feeding 5,000 with only 5 fish! His impact on followers of Barnet went far and beyond that of any normal semi-pro footballer. Evans has a unique place in Underhill history.

Nicky Evans had been rejected by Peterborough and Q.P.R as a youngster and was plying his trade at Kettering. Rockingham Road had often been a stop and shop for Barnet over the years, Roy Clayton, Stuart Atkins and later Paul Richardson and Frank Murphy to name a few. However sometimes just sometimes the bargain of a lifetime is acquired, Barry Fry we are forever in your debt.
Nicky invariably appeared fit and relaxed. His blond hair immaculate, his taste in clothes impeccable and his complexion like that of a peach- he looked good! Nicky could still be likened to a ballerina even when performing on an Underhill pitch which often resembled the moon surface in those days. He was cool!
He was always in control of his appearance and his concentration. For 10 years his name was chanted with monotonous regularity from the terraces and in numerous songs, not just one. He was quick, good in the air, could also play in midfield, and took his fair share of tackles from behind, was very rarely disciplined by officials and his record whilst at Barnet, over 300 games with a goal in every 2, would be of legendary status at any club. Yet when you met him off the pitch he was modest in his acceptance of praise, would always have an ‘Alright Chap’ and a broad smile on his face. As Tony Thornton summed up Nicky so accurately in his excellent publication ‘The Club That Wouldn’t Die’ and I quote:
“Evans never benefited from the trappings of stardom and yet in his own unique way he oozed glamour”.

My personal feeling is that it was not only Nick's ability or his attitude that accounted for his popularity but also the fact that Barnet as a club had been in the doldrums for about 4 seasons. A Bob Lord Trophy Final defeat by Scarborough 2-1 on aggregate in his first season was the closest Barnet had come to any success for a while and the fans needed an injection of charisma, a tonic. Nicky’s timing was right - fortunately for him, the club, and the vast majority of Barnet's support.
If a part of a “new” Underhill was blessed with his name Nicky would simply say thank you to the accolade with his characteristic military salute that was also his receipt to the fans for any goal he scored. Nicky Evans, I salute YOU.
ricardobee

Tony, all of these words could and should be added to the good book itself, possibly just before "Genesis".
I feel sorry for all those non-believers and those who never had the benefit of seeing "God" play.
bucks bee

I can't believe that neither Reckless nor Cosgrove has yet composed a hagiographical encomium on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Evans
Reckless

I have been working on it Graham - will be finished and up soon. Then you can edit edit too..........
bucks bee

Oi Reckless, I'm not Graham! I've never been so insulted in my life.