Let's be realistic

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolk & Chance

Re: Let's be realistic

Sam_BFC wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 15:55 Not sure about that.

Could argue that a Football League club brings more prestige to the area.

Could make arguments assuming attendances based on 6,000-8,000 capacity.

Could repeat the same misleading arguments that the stadium would be used for rock concerts regardless of what league we are in.
All very sensible.
What I'm referring to is the inevitable campaign against us.
And what they can viably use.
Obviously a national league club could still win promotion at any time so perhaps it's irrelevant.
Just a feeling I have really.
becbee

We don't know how long a return to Barnet might take. The last thing I want is for us to give up on ambition just because it could wind up the nimbys.
djhdjh

NIMBYs will always complain about any development, so politicians are going to have to spend some political capital on approving development no matter what. The bigger the team, the more reason to spend that political capital. We've seen it in North London twice in the last 20 years, funnily enough councils were very keen to help Arsenal and Tottenham get new grounds. The idea that us being a smaller club is helpful for that is clutching at straws for why yesterday wasn't such a disaster.
DerekRocholl

Norfolk & Chance wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 15:59
Norfolk & Chance wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 15:55
Jdk103 wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 15:48
Norfolk & Chance wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 15:45 This may not be a popular comment, it may also be completely wrong, but.....
Do we stand a better chance of getting agreement from LBB re South Underhill, as a national league club?
I think we do.

That's entirely separate from me wanting us to win yesterday, see us at wembley and be in L2 next season.

Every cloud, and all that.
How so? Genuinely curious
A football league club is, by definition, bigger.
Bigger home crowds, theoretically.
Bigger away crowds, a certainty.
If, and it's a big if, we achieved back to back promotions like a number of other national League winners, the increase in away support would be very significant.
I think this would provide a lot more ammo for the 'NO' camp.
As a national league club, I think that
Continued....

much of that argument could be blunted.

Put it this way, if we were a Championship side right now, I would be far less hopeful of agreement from LBB.
But we aren’t a Championship side and won’t be in the time window that a planning application is being made and considered.

IMO losing yesterday makes it harder to get publicity and support for the Bring Back Barnet campaign, and the club’s application. Being non league also makes it easier for opponents to undermine all the arguments about having the club back where it belongs being good for local retail and hospitality businesses. It also reduces the profile of the club in the media.

Additionally, the existence of Hadley and Wingate & Finchley already provides local non league football in the locality, with youth football fairly well catered for at the Football Pad on Barnet Lane, all of which helps opponents argue that the return of a non league Barnet FC isn’t necessary.