Solihull Moors (THTS) The Minging to Winning Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Berlinbee

Re: Solihull Moors (THTS) The Minging to Winning Match Thread

rudebwoyben wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 14:31
Berlinbee wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 13:41
DSM wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 11:54 Just want to add I thought the amber battalion were brilliant and at 2-0 down kept singing and kept the noise going. They will play a crucial role next season when we push for one step further
While I applaud your optimism, I don’t think we’ll be in a position to push one step further next season. We’ve kept the spine of this team, a lot of which are capable of playing in the football league, together while also strengthening areas and that’s what has been key to this season’s success.

A lot will likely move on next season and so it could be a complete rebuild. We’ll be in the top half, but I highly doubt we’ll challenge. We were playoff winners elect this season and we blew it. It would have been criminal and an injustice for Notts County to have not gone up last season and it’s the same for us this season. That’s the reality
I think it’s very premature to write a post like that.
Perhaps. But it’s what I fully expect.
Evanstribe

Berlinbee wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 13:41
DSM wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 11:54 Just want to add I thought the amber battalion were brilliant and at 2-0 down kept singing and kept the noise going. They will play a crucial role next season when we push for one step further
While I applaud your optimism, I don’t think we’ll be in a position to push one step further next season. We’ve kept the spine of this team, a lot of which are capable of playing in the football league, together while also strengthening areas and that’s what has been key to this season’s success.

A lot will likely move on next season and so it could be a complete rebuild. We’ll be in the top half, but I highly doubt we’ll challenge. We were playoff winners elect this season and we blew it. It would have been criminal and an injustice for Notts County to have not gone up last season and it’s the same for us this season. That’s the reality
I don't agree with this at all. I'd argue that we don't have many 'stars' good enough to be poached by bigger clubs, so are in a great position to tweak the squad rather than need a complete overhaul.

Collinge may go, Hartigan might not extend his time with us, but most of the squad will stay if we want to retain them.

I don't see any reason why we can't improve on this season next term.
Mem Beespod

ninestein wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 13:11 We got bullied yesterday. When a team plays that tactic, we can't rely on fighting the referee. We've got to learn to fight fire with fire. To do that we need a few tougher players in the squad.

Our A-Game should be to play football as we want. Against a lot of sides that was clearly good enough.
The B-Game should be reserved for matches like yesterday. A more agricultural approach, then introduce the flair once the game gets stretched.
I agree with you in some respect but I don’t think a tough player physically was the difference.

For me we didn’t have one player playing in the final third who was mentally tough and brave enough to make the right decision or execute anything of quality.

The wide delivery was abysmal so we couldn’t put Solihull under any pressure and we overhit so many passes or lost possession when a Solihull came remotely close. Look at how Osbourne cut us open when he won the ball. If that was one of our players they would have over hit the pass.

We need to find the level of quality that can deliver under pressure.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
meden_820

Still absolutely gutted by yesterday, more by the manner of it than anything else.
To go out with a whimper like that is absolutely galling after the players had performed magnificently all season.
I'm sure no one will be more annoyed than them about how it turned out. As non league players you don't get that many chances to play at Wembley and we had it in the palm of our hand.
Still plenty of positives and memories from this season and DB will make sure we are up there challenging again next season I'm sure. 2005, 2015, 2025? Beelieve 🐝
djhdjh

Very surprised people thought we didn't go for it enough yesterday in our tactics. I thought it was like the Borehamwood game last year where we were too desperate to score early and left ourselves wide open at the back, only Solihull are better than Borehamwood were so didn't let us back into it in the second half. Wingbacks were playing far too high up, Gorman was pushed really high up and Hartigan for all his qualities doesn't really defend so it was constantly 3 on 3 or even 3 on 4 at the back with masses of space down the wings for their fast players to run into.

Hartigan also couldn't build up the play like he normally does because he was being man marked, they were pressing the defenders hard and we didn't have enough midfielders deep to give options. Solihull were obviously going to play on the counter attack and we played straight into their hands. Obviously we also played terribly individually, lots has to go wrong to lose 4-0.
jamiefrbees

The feeling is like having given yourself to a passionate relationship for 10 months only to suddenly discover it was seemingly founded on a complete lie.

Still mystified and empty 24 hours on, as I'm sure the players and everyone else at the club is.
LeftSideRun

The team that finished should've started, apart from Gorman for Pritchard, who shouldn't have been in the squad, if not fit. Freeman was never going to get up and support Nicke quickly enough. I don't understand why we changed from a winning formation to this line up to accommodate Oluwo, who wasn't quite fit.

The saddest thing was how the players seemed to accept it. Even at 0-3, if we could've got one goal back the momentum would've been with us.

It will take a long time to get over this one.

I hope Brennan isn't too proud to ask for help in the form of a senior coach.
BeesKnees99

jamiefrbees wrote:The feeling is like having given yourself to a passionate relationship for 10 months only to suddenly discover it was seemingly founded on a complete lie.

Still mystified and empty 24 hours on, as I'm sure the players and everyone else at the club is.
Throughout the entire season myself (and some others) have questioned our performance levels when it truly matters and cited our record against the Top 7 as a warning. We were labelled as negative.

The emphatic scoreline was a shock, and I desperately hoped I’d be wrong, but unfortunately it was on the cards.
BeeArmy22

BeesKnees99 wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 21:22
jamiefrbees wrote:The feeling is like having given yourself to a passionate relationship for 10 months only to suddenly discover it was seemingly founded on a complete lie.

Throughout the entire season myself (and some others) have questioned our performance levels when it truly matters and cited our record against the Top 7 as a warning. We were labelled as negative.

The emphatic scoreline was a shock, and I desperately hoped I’d be wrong, but unfortunately it was on the cards.
You’ve been right on a lot of stuff about the game but to say it was on the cards is just wrong. Barnet played what could be described as our worst game in 2/3 years, and according to a lot of Solihull fans on Twitter they played the best they’d ever seen them play. That game was a 1 in 100 outcome. Everything that could’ve gone wrong did.
Sam_BFC

Knees at one stage you also predicted that we would not make top 7.
LeytonBee

It was a depressing result but to be honest we have been there again and again this season, passing backwards constantly when in possession, letting ourselves be bossed in midfield, silly to the point of suicidal passing in our own third. It was exactly what I hoped wouldn't happen but also exactly the match in terms of the play that was what we've seen repeatedly. 4-0 was a brutal insult but 2-0 with that performance was as likely with the same outcome. We just weren't good enough and all the passing and possession is nothing if you can't use it. And the SM team pulled and bossed Barnet all the way.

I have faith in DB and the team to learn from this. Much happier to have a committed management team with enthusiasm and nous than the many fools Barnet have had over the last 35 years, such as Mullery 'the players pick the tactics' or half the shower of shyte we've had since. But it's going to take all of them to step up a level, and get some tough new Barnet buggers into the squad.
LeytonBee

PS maybe the image of the bloodied head of Alan Walker bandaged and still playing should be projected on the home dressing room wall next time 😂
john dockers shorts

Despite the way the season ended, I looked through all photos of my travels home and away this season with my son. So many great moments at the games, the travelling and excitement driving to games....anticipation of cup draws, meeting the players etc. Never a dull moment watching Barnet and we can't wait to do it again next season. All about creating memories!
erichitchmo

We know you’d rather now read all about it again, but our man has opted to let the dust settle before summarising that one up.

Hope it doesn’t disturb your Monday morning cornflakes.

http://www.downhillsecondhalf.co.uk/Art ... icleID=327
Bee_Forever

Good article. This still really hurts.

I don't understand how we go from having just Wynter out to being without O'Donkor and Thompson and with Pritchard virtually immobile and Brunt and Stead unfit to start. Going in to a playoff semi with one fit striker and two fit central midfielders is just dreadful. It's no wonder we offered so little going forwards we were losing battles all over the pitch. We need to sort out our medical department or get in players who are not made of glass.

Starting Oluwu and Pritchard that is purely on Brennan. Neither should have started, you could argue with Pritchard we had no choice but with Oluwu we could have started Coker and gone 4-3-3. Instead Oluwu got Fonduped and we got bent over. Brennan can blame the players all he likes but the brutal truth is he comes up short in the big games and until he gets better as a manager or gets more experienced support this will keep happening. As it stands I think the only way we can go up next season is autmatically and with Oldham and Southend breathing down our necks that will be tricky.

It has been a great season and I can honestly say I did not see Saturday's result coming. Of course if I predicted that we would lose every game and rejoiced in being right then I would sit smugly on my throne of negativity like beesknees but I don't really call that being a supporter.