Wanderers (THTS) The Match Thread Dorking at Crossed Purposes

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
WillesdenBee

Re: Wanderers (THTS) The Match Thread Dorking at Crossed Purposes

john dockers shorts wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 20:52
hoofer2 wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 20:38 I think Mark White is an arse. Who would want to work for someone like that. Being owner and manager gives him complete power, and suspect notion of HR does not exist.

That said to not only found Dorking, but play for them and get them to National League is astonishing.
Have you watched the documentary. Doesn't come across as an arse at all.
Agreed. He is exactly the type of person the modern generation should inspire to be. Hard-working, devoted and doesn't let anything or anyone get in the way of his ambitions. Too much HR/social media training these days, just let the man do his job. Thats why when Dean calls players out, I am all for it.
beew

bzzzzz wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 20:39 Another plus is that GO'D seems to link well with Kabamba. One problem at the end of last season was trying to work out how to play Harry Smith and Kabamaba in a complementary way
Very good point. Smith was a goalscorer but something just wasn't right about him. O'Donker fits comfortably into our squad and has become part of our family very quickly. Be intersting what happens with him/us in May.
Mem Beespod

Nobody’s talking about GOD’s cross for Kabamba when the Dorking keeper made a worldie save. GOD’s cross was unbelievable
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
djhdjh

WillesdenBee wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 21:00
hoofer2 wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 20:38 I think Mark White is an arse. Who would want to work for someone like that. Being owner and manager gives him complete power, and suspect notion of HR does not exist.

That said to not only found Dorking, but play for them and get them to National League is astonishing.
Agreed. He is exactly the type of person the modern generation should inspire to be. Hard-working, devoted and doesn't let anything or anyone get in the way of his ambitions. Too much HR/social media training these days, just let the man do his job. Thats why when Dean calls players out, I am all for it.
Mark White seems like an interesting and successful bloke. You will forgive me if I don't think me or my generation (if I count as modern any more) need to model ourselves on him, though.

Also, if you're going to lecture an entire generation about all the qualities they supposedly lack, it would be helpful to not use the wrong word - aspire not inspire.
djhdjh

beew wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 21:02
bzzzzz wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 20:39 Another plus is that GO'D seems to link well with Kabamba. One problem at the end of last season was trying to work out how to play Harry Smith and Kabamaba in a complementary way
Very good point. Smith was a goalscorer but something just wasn't right about him. O'Donker fits comfortably into our squad and has become part of our family very quickly. Be intersting what happens with him/us in May.
Smith's playing style necessitated him being the main man. But we already had a main man. O'Donker is more versatile with his pace and skill so can play off Nicke if required.
becbee

djhdjh wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 23:22
WillesdenBee wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 21:00

Mark White seems like an interesting and successful bloke. You will forgive me if I don't think me or my generation (if I count as modern any more) need to model ourselves on him, though.

Also, if you're going to lecture an entire generation about all the qualities they supposedly lack, it would be helpful to not use the wrong word - aspire not inspire.
Having 2-3 times sat close to the dugouts, I'm fully aware of Dean Brennan's frequent use of the F word. However I've never once heard it in his interviews. Time and place for everything.

Also whilst I appreciate Marc White's "15 times" is likely an exaggeration, it strikes me as poor management to repeatedly tell a player something time and time again then moan that they keep ignoring you. Quite a clear lack of authority from him and lack of respect from the player.

What he has achieved at Dorking is amazing though. I'd love to see them stay up. Starting by beating Bromley on Friday.
rudebwoyben

erichitchmo wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:27 Here’s a quick read for your Monday morning brunch…

http://www.downhillsecondhalf.co.uk/Art ... icleID=324
A great read as always but you gave credit to the wrong player for that goal-saving block. It was Ben Coker!
hoofer2

erichitchmo wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:27 Here’s a quick read for your Monday morning brunch…

http://www.downhillsecondhalf.co.uk/Art ... icleID=324
My favourite rendition of "The Final Countdown" was at Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road. It was a very odd 5pm kickoff for a midweek tie in Auto Windscreens shield or similar.

A very dull game was enlivened in second half by a non-stop rendition for 30 mins plus with imaginary microphone passed around. Every fan on that terrace had no choice but give at least one solo rendition of "It's the Final Countdown"
ETBee

Just noticed that in the NL Callum Stead is 3rd in the top 22 goal scorers for the number of goals per 90 mins. He has 0.75 compared to McCallum on 0.95 and Grigg on 0.82. Nicke is 4th equal with 0.64. Good stuff!

PS. These are the BBC stats so treat with caution...
northantsbee

beew wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 21:02
I this will very much rest on whether us and or Oxford Utd get promoted or not. He signed a long term contract with Oxford in August. They have the option to recall him but are happy with his progress at Barnet and want him to get regular game time under his belt. If we were to get promoted I would not be surprised that if we were to approach Oxford about keeping him on loan they may be amenable to him continuing his progress with us as a league 2 club especially as he has fitted in so well. However, I'm not sure they would want him to spend another season in the NL.
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/