Chairman's statement

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
WhetstoneBee

Re: Chairman's statement

Berlinbee wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:06 And so it begins.

I doubt TK has gone public about the plans without some sort of assurances that it could happen. Who got in touch with the Evening Standard, whose editor Dylan Jones is a Tory, to speak on behalf of Barnet Council? Most likely a minority Tory councillor keen to get in early to deflate the prospect of it ever happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Coleman has been on the blower to as many people as possible last night.

It's going to get ugly and we are going to have to fight for it. Keep the faith.
That’s exactly what TK would likely do. I hope he has learned from past mistakes that quiet, behind-the-scenes diplomacy and negotiation is far more effective in these things than public spats. I was surprised that he went public before the pre-planning process has even started, because immediately the council will be on the defensive. This should not become a battle before it needs to be one - the current council leadership is far more reasonable than the Tory one a decade ago and it is tact and reassurance that are going to be needed, not tub-thumping statements to newspapers claiming the council would be mad to have concerns.

The journalist would have approached the Council whose staff will have agreed a statement with the relevant elected representative - either the planning lead or the council leader. The idea some random Tory councillor could issue a statement as a council spokesman is nonsense I’m afraid. I am surprised by how negative the council statement is but hopefully they can be won over.
DerekRocholl

gafferbee wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:06 Going back to the way TK phrased his statement:
During the long months of Covid, I busied myself with trying to find a way to bring the Club back home and met with Barnet Council to ask for their support in locating a suitable site on which I could build a new stadium. I undertook to fund the full cost of construction so that we could progress without any funding delays. After months of searching, it became clear that the best site was the one we originally identified at South Underhill and so we asked our architect to revisit these proposals.
He doesn't say explicitly that the council agreed with him, just that it was clear TO HIM that SU is the best site. It seems that someone with statement-approving powers in the Council disagrees, for now at least.

It's hard to know who is playing hardball with whom, really. Could very well be that yesterday was TK's opening bid and this statement by Barnet Council to the Standard is their first response. There is always room for compromise and both will be playing to their audiences in some way.

But they really are quite far apart, and that's a sobering reality at this early stage.
There is a Mayoralty and London Assembly election in May and much as I can’t imagine why anyone would think of voting Tory, let alone for their horrendous Harrow based candidate for Mayor, it would be a good time for Barnet supporters living in London (and especially in Barnet and Camden) to write to their preferred candidate and let them know you expect them to support the planning application.

Dawat if you would rather Susan Hall was mayor instead of Sadiq Khan you need your head testing.
11bee717

DerekRocholl wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:46
gafferbee wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:06 Going back to the way TK phrased his statement:
During the long months of Covid, I busied myself with trying to find a way to bring the Club back home and met with Barnet Council to ask for their support in locating a suitable site on which I could build a new stadium. I undertook to fund the full cost of construction so that we could progress without any funding delays. After months of searching, it became clear that the best site was the one we originally identified at South Underhill and so we asked our architect to revisit these proposals.
He doesn't say explicitly that the council agreed with him, just that it was clear TO HIM that SU is the best site. It seems that someone with statement-approving powers in the Council disagrees, for now at least.

It's hard to know who is playing hardball with whom, really. Could very well be that yesterday was TK's opening bid and this statement by Barnet Council to the Standard is their first response. There is always room for compromise and both will be playing to their audiences in some way.

But they really are quite far apart, and that's a sobering reality at this early stage.
There is a Mayoralty and London Assembly election in May and much as I can’t imagine why anyone would think of voting Tory, let alone for their horrendous Harrow based candidate for Mayor, it would be a good time for Barnet supporters living in London (and especially in Barnet and Camden) to write to their preferred candidate and let them know you expect them to support the planning application.

Dawat if you would rather Susan Hall was mayor instead of Sadiq Khan you need your head testing.
Yep, two awful candidates. This time around, the all Labour set up should hopefully be to our benefit.
Sam_BFC

gafferbee wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:19 Some tub-thumping (and ever-so-slightly patronising) comments from TK under the ugly ad block at the bottom of the article. I missed them on first read. Keep scrolling.
This part?

“This is an opportunity for them to stand up and help make it happen. Get on those keyboards that you use so readily to complain about not being in Barnet, and advocate for us being in Barnet. It’s an opportunity.”

We have to play our part and should be held to account too.
BeesKnees99

Mem Beespod wrote:
thebeekeeper wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 11:47 https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 40251.html

This doesn't sound too promising...
I’m sure this is part of an orchestrated public approach. TK announces plans, council claim that it won’t be so easy, plans have a couple of tweaks, council make noise that they got concessions and this is the best deal, plans go through.
I hope you’re right. I’d like to think TK has been more canny this time, but there is always the possibility he’s just gone in all-guns blazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norfolk & Chance

Sam_BFC wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:58
gafferbee wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:19 Some tub-thumping (and ever-so-slightly patronising) comments from TK under the ugly ad block at the bottom of the article. I missed them on first read. Keep scrolling.
This part?

“This is an opportunity for them to stand up and help make it happen. Get on those keyboards that you use so readily to complain about not being in Barnet, and advocate for us being in Barnet. It’s an opportunity.”

Possibly referring to the comments aimed at the council too.
But really, is that comment to fans necessary?
Jdk103

Norfolk & Chance wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:05
This part?

Perhaps not. But we can either be upset by it or get busy and get us home
Berlinbee

Jdk103 wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:41 If that’s the way we have to go back to Barnet, so be it. Let’s make the noise and give it a go. Better that than sit back and nothing changes
Absolutely. We need to be ready to really give this a go. Anything which increases the chances of us getting it through. Heck, it's on Green Belt land? Adding eco housing and/or working with environmental groups to make a carbon neutral site should be explored.

Hopefully in the coming weeks, the SA and the club can organise and ready ourselves for a huge campaign. Old voices, New voices, KBA, Back 2 Barnet. Local pubs, businesses and residents.

Screenings of The Underhill film. Get it showing at Barnet Everyman.
Last edited by Berlinbee on 20 Feb 2024, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony

This part?

I read it as at encouraging fans to back the proposal by making comments when the proposals are submitted uploaded to the planning website. I suppose if anyone recognises themselves as a keyboard warrior who complains about not being in Barnet you may take offence, but the blame for that lies in the person being reflected back to them, not the person holding up the mirror.

And given the embarrassingly apathetic response to the B2B campaign (I remember and evening with Bobby George being cancelled due to poor ticket sales) then I would suggest it’s absolutely necessary to encourage people to put their energy into supporting the proposals.
iainb

Hi everyone,

We've popped up a brief poll online about the move. We're trying to get as many votes as possible (appreciate the validity of Twitter polls is dubious but it's something!)

If anyone could vote, that would be amazing: https://x.com/beespod/status/1759929243243266051?s=20
BeesPod
Original, infrequent, and irreverent Barnet FC podcast
http://www.soundcloud.com/beespod
Jdk103

iainb wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:21 Hi everyone,

We've popped up a brief poll online about the move. We're trying to get as many votes as possible (appreciate the validity of Twitter polls is dubious but it's something!)

If anyone could vote, that would be amazing: https://x.com/beespod/status/1759929243243266051?s=20
Voted and shared.
Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help
hoppy

Jdk103 wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:26
iainb wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:21 Hi everyone,

Voted and shared.
Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help
I don’t do twitter (X) so if someone could do a poll on Only Barnet I will happily vote on that.
Maybe include a question “ Are you more or less likely to attend Barnet matches if they take place in the town of Barnet?”

Incidentally two of my pals who were Underhill regulars (neither has ever attended The Hive) have both confirmed that they will recommence their support of the Bees if South Underhill is built.
Sam_BFC

This part?

I don’t think there people should refrain from speaking the truth and I don’t think there is anything untrue in that statement. Even if it is a little blunt or lacking in tact, I think Anthony’s response is the correct one.
beew

Be a good idea if the SA asked which party would be in support of our Underhill return. That way we would know who to vote for in the coming elections. From previous data collection surveys, what are the numbers of fans who live in Barnet/Camden and are eligible to vote? I'm one who can vote in Barnet and can get my two children and wife to vote as well. It would be intersting to get an idea of numbers, as turnout is always low in local elections, so our numbers collectively could make a big difference.
Norfolk & Chance

Anthony wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:17
This part?

I read it as at encouraging fans to back the proposal by making comments when the proposals are submitted uploaded to the planning website. I suppose if anyone recognises themselves as a keyboard warrior who complains about not being in Barnet you may take offence, but the blame for that lies in the person being reflected back to them, not the person holding up the mirror.

And given the embarrassingly apathetic response to the B2B campaign (I remember and evening with Bobby George being cancelled due to poor ticket sales) then I would suggest it’s absolutely necessary to encourage people to put their energy into supporting the proposals.
Anthony, I'm not sure my observation deserved that much of your time and effort but if it briefly made you feel good about yourself, then yayy, time well spent.

My point is that yesterday was fairly momentous for our club and Barnet fans up and down the country, with many tears shed. It was exclusively positive.
And then TK made comments about some barnet fans that, in my opinion, were unnecessary, given it was such a huge day.

But you don't agree, fair enough.

Further, on such a great day, TK appeared to almost goad the council.
At the beginning of what is going to be a delicate, tortuous process that could potentially see us back home, he made those comments.
Again, I think it was unnecessary.

In fact, it almost seemed to be self sabotage to me.
He can go no further at the hive, if he's turned down at SU, what are his options?

Answers on a postcard.