Did anyone really enjoy the England Croatia game?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ninestein

Re: Did anyone really enjoy the England Croatia game?

You're welcome!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
John Hunt

Are we in danger of changing our anthem from Three Lions to one nil to the Eng-ger-land akin to George Graham's Arsenal ?

But we are through as winners and have another week to prepare for our next game.

Come on England.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
b4life

A slightly better performance until Jack Grealish went off, after that the same pointless meandering football as before. Well played Saka though, exactly what that team needed. What I don't understand is that we TWO defensive midfielders how easy it was for the Czechs to get up to our 18 yard box? Aren't they there to disrupt attacks and win the ball back quickly? If we play France, Germany or Portugal we'll never get the ball off them and we'll be pinned in our third of the pitch hoping for a break that Foden or Sterling can capitalise on. I very much doubt if either Grealish or Saka figure in the next match from the start. He'll chuck them on when we're 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go. Yes we topped the group and haven't conceded a goal but let's face it, it was an easy group. The Scots are poor, the Czech's average and we caught Croatia on an off day it would seem.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
To bee or not to bee

Done what we had to do to get through. 3 clean sheets and no drama. Seems alright to me.
finchleyman

To bee or not to bee wrote:Done what we had to do to get through. 3 clean sheets and no drama. Seems alright to me.

England played OK against Czech Rep but there is no hope. We will be well beaten in the quarter finals by whoever we play. The team (as a team) is not set up correctly and I have no faith that GS will be able to do that. The frustrating thing is that he has the players to do it but can't see the wood for the trees.
becbee

To bee or not to bee wrote:Done what we had to do to get through. 3 clean sheets and no drama. Seems alright to me.
I suppose that depends on whether you see the result as being the most important thing, which I suppose overall that's how the team and Southgate will be judged.
Personally I'd prefer some entertainment.
To bee or not to bee

becbee wrote:
I suppose that depends on whether you see the result as being the most important thing, which I suppose overall that's how the team and Southgate will be judged.
Personally I'd prefer some entertainment.

A Barnet fan who watches football for entertainment. That made me giggle - sorry :laugh:
rudebwoyben

finchleyman wrote:

England played OK against Czech Rep but there is no hope. We will be well beaten in the quarter finals by whoever we play. The team (as a team) is not set up correctly and I have no faith that GS will be able to do that. The frustrating thing is that he has the players to do it but can't see the wood for the trees.
So you think we’ll beat Portugal/France/Germany on Tuesday then? :laugh:
Mind you, I think a lot of us are underrating how effective boring the opposition to death is as a tactic and maintaining home advantage is. We England fans collectively have veered in the last decade from excessively bigging ourselves up to magnifying our own deficiencies and the oppositions’ capabilities. None of those three countries will look forward to playing us at Wembley on Tuesday. I do hope that SG keeps Saka and Grealish as part of the starting line-up and that he drops Rice (although I’m not sure that Henderson played well at all after coming on and I don’t think he’ll start Bellingham).
Jdk103

I enjoy every game England win, just like I enjoy every Barnet win. It’s not rocket science
John Hunt

rudebwoyben wrote:
finchleyman wrote:

So you think we’ll beat Portugal/France/Germany on Tuesday then? :laugh:
Mind you, I think a lot of us are underrating how effective boring the opposition to death is as a tactic and maintaining home advantage is. We England fans collectively have veered in the last decade from excessively bigging ourselves up to magnifying our own deficiencies and the oppositions’ capabilities. None of those three countries will look forward to playing us at Wembley on Tuesday. I do hope that SG keeps Saka and Grealish as part of the starting line-up and that he drops Rice (although I’m not sure that Henderson played well at all after coming on and I don’t think he’ll start Bellingham).

We could play Hungary. We can beat anyone on our day. Let's hope Tuesday is our day. Come on Enlgand.
pgbee

We are world beaters just like our track and trace system...
John Hunt

So Germany it is. A exciting night when we were set to face a different opponent every few minutes at one stage.

We'll have to raise our game to beat the Germans.

Cue the rhetoric about World Wars and sunbeds.

Football is only a game!

5pm on Tuesday is a silly time. I'll have to leave work early to get from my desk to the sofa. I am still working from home.

Come on England.
John Hunt

pgbee wrote:We are world beaters just like our track and trace system...
Or our pioneering advancement of covid-19 jabs. That on the other hand is something to be proud of.
finchleyman

The newspapers are already pumping up the anti-German rhetoric. I just don't get it. Is it because this is what the press think the public want to read. Is there a lot of anti-Danish talk in Wales?
ninestein

John Hunt wrote:So Germany it is. A exciting night when we were set to face a different opponent every few minutes at one stage.

We'll have to raise our game to beat the Germans.

Cue the rhetoric about World Wars and sunbeds.

Football is only a game!

5pm on Tuesday is a silly time. I'll have to leave work early to get from my desk to the sofa. I am still working from home.

Come on England.
The 5pm kick-off time is really annoying. That's the time I finish work, followed by a 50 minute drive home. Think I'll set the TV to record, turn the phone off and watch it after the kids are in bed without knowing the score. I managed to do the same for the Croatia game as the in-laws were round for the afternoon!

Before the final round of games last night, I said to the others at work that I'd prefer to play Germany. They have been vulnerable at the back. Portugal know how to suck the life out of a game by being niggly and compact. If it had been Hungary, I could see that being another "Iceland" game. The German fixture is probably the tie we need. It's a proper 50-50. If the players can't raise their game for this one, they never will.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!