EFL Petition

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Mikel Bee

Re: EFL Petition

BeeinBristol wrote:I have been pleased to hear that those who have been attending non- elite games have been happy with the way the covid safety issues have been managed. What i am interested to know how the movement of fans to & from grounds (especially) has been managed if at all, as this an obvious area for concern. So for example for a match with a 400 attendance are people let out section by section?
I went to Haringey Borough Vs Leatherhead recently. Leatherhead won and at full time their entire squad and management team were hugging and high fiving the 30 or so fans. Not a lot of social distancing in the stands either tbh.
becbee

Mikel Bee wrote:
BeeinBristol wrote:I have been pleased to hear that those who have been attending non- elite games have been happy with the way the covid safety issues have been managed. What i am interested to know how the movement of fans to & from grounds (especially) has been managed if at all, as this an obvious area for concern. So for example for a match with a 400 attendance are people let out section by section?
I went to Haringey Borough Vs Leatherhead recently. Leatherhead won and at full time their entire squad and management team were hugging and high fiving the 30 or so fans. Not a lot of social distancing in the stands either tbh.
More fools the 30 or so fans.

I imagine that had elite football been allowed fans, it would have been strictly monitored because clubs would have been fearful of the potential consequences if they didn't obey all regulations. We know from the season ticket seating arrangements at The Hive that Barnet knew they had to take things seriously.

The Leatherhead incident may be an isolated incident, I haven't been to any non elite matches so I can't comment. But I do see that it is probably hard when the only stewarding will be coming from volunteers who are not going to put themselves into the firing line.
jerroll

From a personal point of view all games I have attended have been by car & involved street parking away from the venue then wearing a mask to walk to the ground and only taking it off if sat down at a table if I went to the bar then made sure I wore it for the duration of the game. not sure I've been in any crowd of more than 220 so far.
pokal02

I've been to 18 games this season. I'm not going to pretend that social distancing has been perfect at all of them, but most are making some effort to comply. Certainly I've had no problem finding a spot 2m+ away from everyone else. The exiting is a valid point (only one path out at Horsham & most of the 509 crowd using it at the same time to get to the car park), but with crowds of 100 or so it's not really an issue.
I do feel some (not just on this forum) are overthinking things though. Passing someone outdoors for 30 seconds or so is considered to be a microscopically small risk. If anything it's the players that are least compliant - there's still (usually) hugging etc when a goal is scored.
pletch99

I've been to a number of games and I would agree that social distancing hasn't been perfect BUT I have had no problem at all in maintaining a distance of 2m from other people. On a couple of occasions I've decided to wait a couple of minutes before leaving the ground as the exits were narrow.

Like John Erroll I've travelled to every game by car and I've chosen to wear a mask, but I will admit not many have. While social distancing hasn't been perfect I agree that it's the players at most risk. Oh and a small group of about 15 Basingstoke fans behind the goal on Satursday who were all clustered together, singing and jumping on each other when Basingstoke score. Probably not very wise BUT equally not putting anyone else at risk. Most of the games I have been to have been attended by less than 200 with the exception of Salisbury City where the crowd was a modified capacity of 600, but actually pretty well organised with a workable one way system around the ground and marshalls manning the one section where people needed to go in both directions on the same path making sure people were only allowed in one direction at a time.

I think the risk of catching COVID while attending these games is very low (although it is a risk). I'm much more concerned about catching a cold after getting soaked - if it rains I won't be huddling with other people under the very limited cover at most step 3/4/5 grounds.
becbee

The SAGE people keep saying the risk of transmission is low outdoors, it's indoors which has greater risk. Just walking along the roads, going to work, using public transport etc is more risky.
The only way to eliminate risk is to have 100% complete lockdown, never leave home or see anybody - avoid Covid but risk mental health issues instead.
To bee or not to bee

pletch99 wrote:I've been to a number of games and I would agree that social distancing hasn't been perfect BUT I have had no problem at all in maintaining a distance of 2m from other people. On a couple of occasions I've decided to wait a couple of minutes before leaving the ground as the exits were narrow.

Like John Erroll I've travelled to every game by car and I've chosen to wear a mask, but I will admit not many have. While social distancing hasn't been perfect I agree that it's the players at most risk. Oh and a small group of about 15 Basingstoke fans behind the goal on Satursday who were all clustered together, singing and jumping on each other when Basingstoke score. Probably not very wise BUT equally not putting anyone else at risk. Most of the games I have been to have been attended by less than 200 with the exception of Salisbury City where the crowd was a modified capacity of 600, but actually pretty well organised with a workable one way system around the ground and marshalls manning the one section where people needed to go in both directions on the same path making sure people were only allowed in one direction at a time.

I think the risk of catching COVID while attending these games is very low (although it is a risk). I'm much more concerned about catching a cold after getting soaked - if it rains I won't be huddling with other people under the very limited cover at most step 3/4/5 grounds.
Your argument those 15 Basingstoke fans are not putting other people at risk is fundamentally flawed. If 1 of them had it he/she probably spread it to the other 14. With the r rate at 1.4 that means those 14 will spread it to another 20 people who will then spread it to another 28 who will then spread it to another 40 and so on and so on. So that’s over 100 people infected by 1 idiot. Admittedly 99 will probably survive but 1 will die. That’s murder as far as I’m concerned. These idiots need to be stamped on hard. I won’t be going to football until they are.
rudebwoyben

To bee or not to bee wrote:
pletch99 wrote:I've been to a number of games and I would agree that social distancing hasn't been perfect BUT I have had no problem at all in maintaining a distance of 2m from other people. On a couple of occasions I've decided to wait a couple of minutes before leaving the ground as the exits were narrow.

Your argument those 15 Basingstoke fans are not putting other people at risk is fundamentally flawed. If 1 of them had it he/she probably spread it to the other 14. With the r rate at 1.4 that means those 14 will spread it to another 20 people who will then spread it to another 28 who will then spread it to another 40 and so on and so on. So that’s over 100 people infected by 1 idiot. Admittedly 99 will probably survive but 1 will die. That’s murder as far as I’m concerned. These idiots need to be stamped on hard. I won’t be going to football until they are.
From what I’ve read, contact has to be a lot more prolonged than that for transmission to occur.
Josh SKywalker

"To bee or not to bee" makes a point that cannot be argued with unfortunately, everyone on this forum that goes to level 3 tier and below I don't doubt for a second are sensible and take the "covid rules" seriously, but it just takes one idiot to spread it to the up to 6 other people he or she are standing with...being outside or wearing a mask is absolutely not full proof.

Does anyone else choose to no go to a tier 3 and below match, because morally it's wrong in some parts of the country or they just wouldn't feel safe? I think the government really need to shut this down and only let a small amount of fans in WAY down the pecking order...as in 30/40 or so. From my perspective, I don't understand why they're even open...why are the government appeasing a tiny tiny tiny portion of football fans.

Anyone see the Rennes match last night? Sheesh.
#Beebot

Josh SKywalker wrote:"To bee or not to bee" makes a point that cannot be argued with unfortunately, everyone on this forum that goes to level 3 tier and below I don't doubt for a second are sensible and take the "covid rules" seriously, but it just takes one idiot to spread it to the up to 6 other people he or she are standing with...being outside or wearing a mask is absolutely not full proof.

Does anyone else choose to no go to a tier 3 and below match, because morally it's wrong in some parts of the country or they just wouldn't feel safe? I think the government really need to shut this down and only let a small amount of fans in WAY down the pecking order...as in 30/40 or so. From my perspective, I don't understand why they're even open...why are the government appeasing a tiny tiny tiny portion of football fans.

Anyone see the Rennes match last night? Sheesh.
Shutting the whole thing down because of a few idiots is ridiculous. The vast majority are obeying the rules + it's outdoors.
pokal02

'Shutting the whole thing down' would be farcical. Similarly, all pubs, restaurants and shops should be shut as a few people are not obeying the rules? And then what? No pro-lockdown fanatic has yet answered the question, 'How do you ever get out of lockdown if no effective vaccine is discovered?' and I will continue to disregard their views until they do.
#Beebot

pokal02 wrote:'Shutting the whole thing down' would be farcical. Similarly, all pubs, restaurants and shops should be shut as a few people are not obeying the rules? And then what? No pro-lockdown fanatic has yet answered the question, 'How do you ever get out of lockdown if no effective vaccine is discovered?' and I will continue to disregard their views until they do.
I'm not against lockdown if the time is used to introduce adequate contract tracing but it's clear the government have no intention of doing that.
rudebwoyben

pokal02 wrote:'Shutting the whole thing down' would be farcical. Similarly, all pubs, restaurants and shops should be shut as a few people are not obeying the rules? And then what? No pro-lockdown fanatic has yet answered the question, 'How do you ever get out of lockdown if no effective vaccine is discovered?' and I will continue to disregard their views until they do.
I think you’re inventing a straw-man here. No one is advocating for a lockdown like that. Unfortunately the government has not used the time well to develop more sophisticated and granular means of reducing the transmission rate.
becbee

I'm not convinced how effective contact tracing can ever be anyway. Since it came in, I've visited various cafes, restaurants, outdoor and indoor venues. I have given my name and either my landline or my mobile phone number. Touch wood, as yet, no come backs ( I do quake when the phone rings!). But it does strike me how anybody weak the system is because on not a single occasion have I ever been asked to show I.D. So who knows how many of the people who haven't been contactable have been giving false information?
IMO the system relies on people to "do the right thing". Yet a recent MORI poll showed only 73% of people canvassed said they were doing that all the time.
pokal02

The most interesting thing about the polls is that 66% allegedly support a stricter lockdown but only 11% are fully self-isolating when told to do so. So over 50% support a stricter lockdown as long as it inconveniences someone else but not them (I accept it's not perfect as the same people weren't necessarily surveyed - but the result is so decisive that there must be at least some truth in it).