Good year to get promoted

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Guiseleybee

Good year to get promoted

It strikes me looking how the league table is starting to take shape that this could very much be THE year of opportunity for us to get out of this league.

Why? Well two of the most fancied teams (Wrexham and Chesterfield) have made very indifferent starts. Indeed, Sheridan is on the brink at Chesterfield-winless so far. Then you look at the two relegated sides and history suggests unlikely they can challenge this season- and Notts Co getting over their financial mess. So then that leaves Solihull with a decent budget but who else could really stay the course?

Seems to me that all of the former league clubs mentioned above will only get stronger than what we’re seeing now. Then add in Torquay and particularly Stockport as former league clubs who will have aspirations to seriously challenge next season and you start to think this is a season to really go for it. Factor in too that our 50% parachute payment this season disappears next season so our budget will be reduced.

So let’s really go all out to get this striker in and look to challenge. Before it’s too late.
ETBee

Re: Good year to get promoted

You seem to have missed the fact that Woking and Halifax are running well ahead. They are winning games, we are drawing. We really need somebody to join ASAP who can turn hard fought draws into comfortable wins.
Guiseleybee

No I asked who could really last the course. That acknowledges there are pace setters like Woking and Halifax right up there now but most observers have said they don’t have strength in depth or big budgets that would suggest they’d be front round runners later in the season.
Norfolkbee

Guiseleybee wrote:No I asked who could really last the course. That acknowledges there are pace setters like Woking and Halifax right up there now but most observers have said they don’t have strength in depth or big budgets that would suggest they’d be front round runners later in the season.
Two points:
1. They could steer clear of injuries and suspensions. We didn't have a huge squad when we won the title in 2004/5, but we managed to keep a settled side. A winning habit will keep players going.
2. Does Barnet have a remaining budget any bigger than theirs? I ask this question purely because of our apparent struggles to land a striker.
BeesKnees99

Bromley are doing very well. Made loads of good signings, haven’t lost yet, seem like a really tight knit bunch, and generally appear to be on the up as a club. I wouldn’t not be surprised to see them as genuine title contenders.

As for Woking, Halifax, Maidenhead etc who’ve made very strong starts, I have a gut feeling their strong start won’t last.

On the other hand, Stockport look a well balanced side however, and Edgeley Park appears to be something of a fortress.

I am optimistic we will scrape the play offs. We have good strength in depth once key injured players return, eg Mauro, Sweeney, Johnson, Tutonda, and as you say, the shrewd signing of a decent CF should help our chances. We are picking up points we probably wouldn’t have last season, seem generally better and well-organised...

Winning games “comfortably” is a pipe dream for most teams in this league... the NL is ridiculously competitive, the days of 5-0 wins against canon fodder are seemingly gone. If we are going to be up there come April, it’s going to take an immense amount of fight, character and resilience.
finchleyman

It doesn't seem to me that there is any particularly strong side in the league. Woking have Jake Hyde and Dave Tarpey up front who have scored nine goals between them this season. It only needs one of them to be injured and we know how injury-prone they both are. Halifax won't last the pace and neither will Maidenhead who beat Stockport at Edgeley Park.

Bromley seem to be the main threat because they've got Mark Cousins in goal!

We should walk this tin-pot league except ..... of course .... we don't have a recognisable no. 9 and, until we do, we will lurch along from one match to another, riding our luck which has favoured us so far this season.
hoppy

Just checked out the NL table.
We've two games in hand on most of the other teams. Win one of them and we are in the play off zone (7th). Win them both and we go 4th.