Aldershot and Fylde

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
wearebees

Re: Aldershot and Fylde

hendon4bee wrote:Is it definitely those 3 or could it have been opposition players?

Shame to not capitalise on the potential of non league day.
Non league day is 12th October, fortunately. Hope we do something too.
John Hunt

Ah my mistake. Sorry. I consider all international weekends an opportunity for clubs lower down to try to attract the floating punter.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
Nudger70

becbee wrote:I can see the advantages to the team in our current injury situation in defence to have the two matches postponed and a free week for recovery. It also suits me personally not to have a home match next Tuesday as I have a very early start to the next day and I haven't made any plans re Fylde. But that's not the point. We had enough problems with fitting in our backlog of league fixtures last season which in part was due to postponing midweek matches prior to FA Cup ties. Why risk similar this season? Two postponed matches by 7th September is not good, if we do the same every time there's international matches we really do risk a backlog ( let alone if we repeat the cup runs!).

DC talks about valuing the fans. This isn't showing them any consideration at all.

Jack Taylor is obviously a good player but to get matches postponed just because he ( and a couple of subs) are unavailable is really not on. Ok so it's happened this time - but please Barnet, don't do it again 12th October, etc.
Last season the fixture pile up was so bad that rather take an FA trophy quarter final replay back to the hive we had a penalty shootout. Think we had 8 midweek fixtures on the spin nearly dragged us into a relegation battle
barnetjohn

Telling that the club still haven't announced *who* the players called up are. They must know who's been called up in order to formally request the postponement. If some of our starters this season had received call ups for the first time I imagine the club would be proudly sharing this.

Likely the three in question are Matrevics, Taylor plus Vasilou or Sylla. It sounds like the club doesn't want to draw too much attention to the fact that only one of those has actually played a minute for the club this season.

I get the sense the club knows its being cheeky but technically within the rules and is trying not to draw too much attention to it.
Last edited by barnetjohn on 28 Aug 2019, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
becbee

Have the International squads actually been announced? I can't find any mention of them.

If Jack Taylor were to be injured at Eastleigh on Saturday and had to withdraw ( ditto one of the other two if they actually got on the pitch, or were injured in training) , then presumably it would be too late to reinstate the matches but we wouldn't even have the three necessary players involved anyway?
becbee

Nudger70 wrote:
becbee wrote:I can see the advantages to the team in our current injury situation in defence to have the two matches postponed and a free week for recovery. It also suits me personally not to have a home match next Tuesday as I have a very early start to the next day and I haven't made any plans re Fylde. But that's not the point. We had enough problems with fitting in our backlog of league fixtures last season which in part was due to postponing midweek matches prior to FA Cup ties. Why risk similar this season? Two postponed matches by 7th September is not good, if we do the same every time there's international matches we really do risk a backlog ( let alone if we repeat the cup runs!).

DC talks about valuing the fans. This isn't showing them any consideration at all.

Jack Taylor is obviously a good player but to get matches postponed just because he ( and a couple of subs) are unavailable is really not on. Ok so it's happened this time - but please Barnet, don't do it again 12th October, etc.
Last season the fixture pile up was so bad that rather take an FA trophy quarter final replay back to the hive we had a penalty shootout. Think we had 8 midweek fixtures on the spin nearly dragged us into a relegation battle
That's exactly my point. No way do we want that again.
BeeDeceived

barnetjohn wrote:Telling that the club still haven't announced *who* the players called up are. They must know who's been called up in order to formally request the postponement.

Likely its Matrevics, Taylor plus Vasilou or Sylla. It sounds like the club doesn't want to draw too much attention to the fact that only one of those has actually played a minute for the club this season.

I get the sense the club knows its being cheeky but technically within the rules and is trying not to draw too much attention to it.
Silly post.

Clubs get note of player call ups in advance and then these stories are embargoed for a wider release by the national teams.

Of course Barnet will announce who gets called up once the embargo is lifted, it should be a matter of pride that we have international footballers.
BeeDeceived

becbee wrote:
Nudger70 wrote:

That's exactly my point. No way do we want that again.
Also worth noting that the backlog then led to our best run of form and some were sensing a late charge of a play off place.
Mikel Bee

Jack Taylor is quality. I'd rather we didn't play without him if we could avoid it on top of all the other injuries. I think DC made the right decision. Shame about those already with tickets but that's modern day football.
barnetjohn

BeeDeceived wrote:
barnetjohn wrote:Telling that the club still haven't announced *who* the players called up are. They must know who's been called up in order to formally request the postponement.

Likely its Matrevics, Taylor plus Vasilou or Sylla. It sounds like the club doesn't want to draw too much attention to the fact that only one of those has actually played a minute for the club this season.

Silly post.

Clubs get note of player call ups in advance and then these stories are embargoed for a wider release by the national teams.

Of course Barnet will announce who gets called up once the embargo is lifted, it should be a matter of pride that we have international footballers.
I can imagine the Irish might have a bit of a media strategy and therefore perhaps an embargo for their youth sides but doubt the Latvians or Cypriots do. And I must confess that I don't know the official rules on notifying clubs of call ups.

I am pleased we have youth players getting call ups. It's a good sign.

My frustration is that the clubs comms weren't great - no apology to fans or even acknowledgement the postponement ls could cause issues. And give the cost savings to the club of playing at Fylde midweek, an offer to reimburse pre-paid travel tickets would have been teh right gesture.
BeeDeceived

Interesting that Sunderland have just had to do the same us, similarly with no apology...

"Sunderland AFC would like to advise supporters that the upcoming Sky Bet League One game against Burton Albion at the Stadium of Light has been postponed.

The game falls within a period designated for international fixtures and as three or more players have now been selected for international duty by their respective countries, the club made the request to the EFL to postpone the fixture, which they duly granted.

The game, which was originally due to take place on Saturday 7 September, will now be re-scheduled, with a new date yet to be confirmed.

Tickets already purchased will remain valid for the re-arranged fixture."
MCB

BeeDeceived wrote: The game falls within a period designated for international fixtures
This is what I assume is known well in advance, along with England C fixtures.

Imagine if the fans had been advised when the fixtures came out 'The Fylde fixture coincides with an international U21 break, and the possibility exists of a fixture cancellation, although it is unlikely to be confirmed until 27th August".

Then it's completely a case of 'buyer beware'. But who the hell knew? And it sounds like a few people have big weekends in Blackpool planned.
b4life

Given that postponements have happened before because of international call ups, I am surprised that when booking hotels and train tickets, the relevant supporters didn't check this weekend before they booked. I am sure there would have many complaints had the club announced the possibility of international call ups weeks ago, advising not to book anything, then because the call ups didn't happen due to injury or whatever cause, the club gets blamed as the train and hotel prices were now a lot more than a few weeks earlier! I don't think they can win either way. I do feel a bit sorry for those supporters who have booked, but they could have checked themselves and decided not to book.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
BeeDeceived

MCB wrote:
BeeDeceived wrote: The game falls within a period designated for international fixtures
This is what I assume is known well in advance, along with England C fixtures.

Imagine if the fans had been advised when the fixtures came out 'The Fylde fixture coincides with an international U21 break, and the possibility exists of a fixture cancellation, although it is unlikely to be confirmed until 27th August".

Then it's completely a case of 'buyer beware'. But who the hell knew? And it sounds like a few people have big weekends in Blackpool planned.
International weekends are announced a season in advance...
becbee

b4life wrote:Given that postponements have happened before because of international call ups, I am surprised that when booking hotels and train tickets, the relevant supporters didn't check this weekend before they booked. I am sure there would have many complaints had the club announced the possibility of international call ups weeks ago, advising not to book anything, then because the call ups didn't happen due to injury or whatever cause, the club gets blamed as the train and hotel prices were now a lot more than a few weeks earlier! I don't think they can win either way. I do feel a bit sorry for those supporters who have booked, but they could have checked themselves and decided not to book.
I think you're being a bit harsh. We have never before had a match postponed due to International Call Ups, why would any fans have ever considered that this might now happen? Even more so when 3 players are required to be able to seek a postponement, one is the reserve goalkeeper and we didn't even know that the third one even existed.
Last edited by becbee on 28 Aug 2019, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.