Wes Fonguck

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoppy

Re: Wes Fonguck

#Beebot wrote:
hgbee wrote:Group of us go to watch Telstar once or twice a season:
78A7E329-36E8-460F-9C03-BC0334F33577.jpeg
What I can tell you about Telstar and the KKD (Dutch division 2):

Telstar have a reputation of trying to do things the right way, play quick attacking football and many of their players have gone either into the eredivisie or abroad to a higher level. Hamdaoui and Osman two former midfielders who have gone to the eredivisie with FC Twente and Almelo recently, Jerdy schouten joined Excelsior last season, was one of the top CDMs in the eredivisie before moving to Bologna in serie A amidst links to Man united! Andria Novakovich scored a bucketload there on loan from Reading and actually got a USA national team call up while playing for them.

Telstar as a club - very comparable in size and support to barnet. Although from what I have heard their wage range is actually slightly below ours. They are coached by Andries Jonker, a massively well regarded coach on the continent who has managed Wolfsburg and actually Bayern Munich as well. He was a youth coach at Arsenal recently and I’d guess this is how he has found about Wes, as Reiss Nelson (stablemate of fonguck’s on the agent front ) was in his youth team there.

The KKD is a crazy, ridiculous league where the attacking play is of championship standard and the defending of Isthmian league standard. I’ve seen four telstar games and there has been 23 goals in total, in those four games I’ve never seen either team score less than 2.

It’s a tough division to do well in with sides like NEC and Roda JC down there But telstar Are quietly confident with a fairly settled squad. I really hope that’s where Wes ends up as I think he could do well there.
Great post, thank you. Telstar should be our first stop if we ever go on a preseason tour of the Netherlands.
What about the tornados?
jamesharpin1

Wes has been let go after one game according to a twitter page https://twitter.com/sctelstar/status/11 ... 07010?s=21
ninestein

Oh dear.. I wonder where he will end up then?
At least if he crops up in England, we will be entitled to some sort of compensation for the years we spend working with him.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
hoofer2

jamesharpin1 wrote:Wes has been let go after one game according to a twitter page https://twitter.com/sctelstar/status/11 ... 07010?s=21
Like Marciano Mengerink the other way round yet for some reason gave him a contract !
hoppy

Any news on Wes? I hope he gets sorted with a club. I wouldn't object if he (and his agent) ate a portion of humble pie and came back to us.
hoofer2

Don't think Shomotum has been signed either
#Beebot

hoofer2 wrote:Don't think Shomotum has been signed either
Shomotun played a few games on trial for Maidenhead in pre-season but wasn't offered a contract.
Mem Beespod

hoppy wrote:Any news on Wes? I hope he gets sorted with a club. I wouldn't object if he (and his agent) ate a portion of humble pie and came back to us.
I've been told that he has a club in Scandanavia but there's some wranglings about international clearance.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
#Beebot

Mr Smart wrote:
hoppy wrote:Any news on Wes? I hope he gets sorted with a club. I wouldn't object if he (and his agent) ate a portion of humble pie and came back to us.
I've been told that he has a club in Scandanavia but there's some wranglings about international clearance.
Would be strange if it were international clearance - can't see why the English FA would hold things up?
Ajtheone04

Really though. We have 4 good CMS for 2 positions already.
The only thing we could do is play him on the left but I thought he was rubbish when he was there
hoppy

Ajtheone04 wrote:
Really though. We have 4 good CMS for 2 positions already.
The only thing we could do is play him on the left but I thought he was rubbish when he was there
Wes chipped in with 9 goals last season. Just what we needed then. Just what we need now!
Ajtheone04

But how many of them were in the John still system that seemed to get midfielders more goals than the Currie 4-2-3-1 possession
Tuesds

#Beebot wrote:
Mr Smart wrote:
Would be strange if it were international clearance - can't see why the English FA would hold things up?
Nor can I. No idea if it’s affecting Fonguck, and hope it isn’t, but he’s surely picked a terrible time to be looking for a contract on the continent.

A club could sign him up on a year’s contract or more, only to be left with a player they are not allowed to employ in a matter of weeks. The UK government has been clear today that free movement will end on October 31st.

That’s a reciprocal right, so if there’s no deal, there’s no automatic right for UK citizens to live and work in the EU. And where other countries have visa conditions for overseas footballers that resemble ours, for example, Fonguck would need to meet conditions such as having played in a significant proportion of England’s international matches in recent years. England C caps wouldn’t count, sadly for him.

I’m not arguing here whether it’s right or wrong that the right to live and work in Europe could disappear in October, nor about how likely or not it is that that will happen. But the risk is there, and it would have to be one factor for any club considering signing up a British or Northern Irish footballer at the moment
DerekRocholl

Under a no deal scenario the option to apply for settled status closes on the date the UK leaves the EU. I would have thought the situation surrounding right of settlement rules would encourage anyone who wants to acquire the right to work and live in the EU to try to get work and move there before 31st October, and also to prompt European clubs to try to sign any UK National they are interested in as a matter of priority.
X-Bumble

I'm wondering if his agent is really working in his interests here. I cannot see that him moving to some Nordic football league club is really a step up from where he was. Moving out of the country would seem to be a bad idea. He needs to be in the shop window in his own native country.