Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
letchbee94

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

As other have said that was a frustrating evening, I disagree with people who have said we played well for 60/70 mins last night, what about in first half? Our passing was awful and giving away the ball near our goal a couple of times, luckily the Dover front men was not fully alert otherwise we could have been 2-0 down after 20 mins.

Been decent opening 3 games and yesterday was a wake up call that there is still things to be improved on if we want to challange for promotion.
PBBee

Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Reminded me a bit of the Sutton game, we created 2 quality chances shortly after half time but then let a stronger team bully us by winning constant free kicks & corners which finally worked late in the game.

Game plan worked perfectly for Dover.

Also felt with Dunne & Boucaud sitting deep along with no Tutonda we didn’t have enough bodies going forward.

Have to say I thought their LB - Bobby-Joe Taylor was brilliant & should be playing higher on that performance.
WinchyBee

One loss and everyone's true colours come out and people start slating the team.....boring.
It's still August ffs, I'm sure we'll get our target man and we've got plenty of talent and depth across the pitch to compete this year, patience please.
barnetpete

Funny old game football. Loach makes a blinding save on Saturday, allows us to go on and win the game. Last night we didn't take our chances, their keeper made a couple of good saves and we get punished at the death.

We controlled the game for 70 minutes, they parked the bus knowing we would be comfortable in possession but struggle to unlock a back 6 or 8 at times. The few times we did manage to get in behind we whipped in some great crosses but couldn't do anything with them. Need to try to do that more though to increase the number of chances.

Final 20 min the subs that both teams made changed the game, we couldn't keep it in the final third and they could, which put us under pressure. Shows how well Simeon is doing getting the ball down/winning headers to bring EMC and Elito into the game.

Elito is a completely different player to this time last year, no longer restricted by the restraints of a John Still tactic, playing with the freedom that DC allows.

We had 0 points this time last year. Much improvement has been made under DC. We will out pass any team in this league, the squad just need to gain more confidence in playing the key balls that open up defences. We saw Saturday the JT to Akinola ball can do it, just need more quality in the final third. Stay patient we're going to do ok.

And agree with PBBee, thought Taylor for them was very good.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
john dockers shorts

WinchyBee wrote:One loss and everyone's true colours come out and people start slating the team.....boring.
It's still August ffs, I'm sure we'll get our target man and we've got plenty of talent and depth across the pitch to compete this year, patience please.

We certainly have depth in the squad... Thats half the problem too many basic players. My true colours have been at full mast for some time. People keep going on about the forward being the answer I'm sure if we signed Akinde MK2... we would be nailed on play off candidates.

We don't have the match winners in the squad... Occasionally J Taylor will score a wonder goal but apart from that nothing.

EMC does not create enough and runs into trouble far too often. Sparkes doesn't do anything.

A lot of supporters said that this season we have to see out and get all the dross of our books ready for next season.

We should do better than last season if we don't something has gone seriously wrong.

I just think people going on about bringing in a new forward and all is fixed is the same as saying last season once Reynolds, Boucard, Akinola... Are back all we be better it wasn't really.
BeeDeceived

We were 14 points off the play offs last season. We're already +5 points up on where we were at this stage last year.

We will be fine, typical Barnet supporter hyperbole after just one defeat. Back Currie and back the players, whether you rate them or not.
LoudmouthBFC

#Beebot wrote:What's Barham done to be left out as well? Is he injured? He's not the solution up top but we could do with his energy on the wide right of the 433 when we need a goal.

Faces doesn’t fit in with the favourites.
DerekRocholl

#Beebot wrote:
ninestein wrote:Up until 60 mins we looked the more dangerous side. Their keeper pulls off a couple of decent saves. But the last 30 mins we just couldn't keep the ball. I wanted to see Shaq come on but taking Elito off seemed to disrupt our game.

At 90 mins i would have settled for a 0-0 with a side who will finish comfortably in the top half. But the sucker punch at the end just drains you. Based on the way Dover finished the game, they probably deserved a goal.

Can't help but feel that their number 9 who scored is the template we are looking for in our striker search.
Effiong was on trial here under Rossi. He's a big lump and not really the type of player we need, though still better than having nobody with any physicality which is what we have at the moment.

Striker aside we could do with some genuine pace out wide as well to stretch teams. None of our wingers are what I'd call rapid.
From what we saw last night Effiong is a strong, mobile and highly effective "big lump". After seeing the trouble he caused a defence that had looked pretty comfortable against Pavey and Co it was quite surprising he wasn't in the starting line up. If Currie could find a centre forward like Effiong I would be happy.
antbfc

Hiveoccupier wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
ninestein wrote:Up until 60 mins we looked the more dangerous side. Their keeper pulls off a couple of decent saves. But the last 30 mins we just couldn't keep the ball. I wanted to see Shaq come on but taking Elito off seemed to disrupt our game.

At 90 mins i would have settled for a 0-0 with a side who will finish comfortably in the top half. But the sucker punch at the end just drains you. Based on the way Dover finished the game, they probably deserved a goal.

Can't help but feel that their number 9 who scored is the template we are looking for in our striker search.
Effiong was on trial here under Rossi. He's a big lump and not really the type of player we need, though still better than having nobody with any physicality which is what we have at the moment.

Striker aside we could do with some genuine pace out wide as well to stretch teams. None of our wingers are what I'd call rapid.
From what we saw last night Effiong is a strong, mobile and highly effective "big lump". After seeing the trouble he caused a defence that had looked pretty comfortable against Pavey and Co it was quite surprising he wasn't in the starting line up. If Currie could find a centre forward like Effiong I would be happy.
Thought he was donkey to be honest, spurned a chance with a decent shot before the goal. He causes problems due to his sheer size, but would like to think we're aiming for better.

Can't disagree he rattled us though and of course got the decisive goal!
StephenM

Currie needs to take a share of the blame for last night if he gave the team the instruction to play it long and in the air towards Akinola constantly, and then to make the substitution bringing Shaq on, and the team carrying on doing the same thing. It really doesn't work doing that when the striker is 5'8 and the centre backs 6'3.

Would have been so much more effective to keep the ball on the deck and try passing it.

And on this point of "until we get a target man". Perfect if the team is going to lump it, but while there isn't one how about playing to the strengths of the players we do have. Seems a sensible approach.
MCB

We allowed to say that Loach should have been pushing this behind rather than back into the path of 3 forwards?
Jon83

Thought at the time Loach was poor for their goal and replay confirms it.

We played very well at times last night with some nice movement/passing leading to good chances and 'almost chances'. We were also very poor at times with our mistakes leading to very good chances for Dover. Draw probably would've been a fair result.
WinchyBee

Jon83 wrote:Thought at the time Loach was poor for their goal and replay confirms it.

We played very well at times last night with some nice movement/passing leading to good chances and 'almost chances'. We were also very poor at times with our mistakes leading to very good chances for Dover. Draw probably would've been a fair result.
Think that's a little harsh on Loach, so many bodies in the area so wouldn't have seen it until late and did well to get a hand on it.
Did the right thing and parried the ball high to give him so time to get back on his feet but unfortunately Effiong was in the right place and the right time, such a suckerpunch...
Mem Beespod

#Beebot wrote:What's Barham done to be left out as well? Is he injured? He's not the solution up top but we could do with his energy on the wide right of the 433 when we need a goal.
If I was going to play him wide, I would play him on the left and ask him to start runs wide and dart between the full back and centre back. The angle he’d be running at would mean he was on his stronger foot in front of goal
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
barnetpete

StephenM wrote:
Would have been so much more effective to keep the ball on the deck and try passing it.
Did you not hear all the groans and 'forward' shouts when we kept the ball and tried to play it on the deck? DC can't win!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,