Progress?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
b4life

Progress?

Seven points out of nine may be cause for optimism in itself but I think it’s our overall organisation and quality of play that seems to be a distinct improvement over last season. I think we can play better yet too when we get a settled side with all our best players back. It looks as though some of the very average players from last season like Reynolds, Elito and H Taylor May have improved too. However, I don’t see many signs that Alexander has improved at all. Hopefully this is showing that Darren can improve players, which must be a good sign. Getting a really good front man might just be difference between play offs and getting promoted. However, I am sure there were times last season we got 7 points from 9 so early days yet. After 10 games I think we’ll really know how good we really are and with so many games in August that will come around quickly.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
BeesKnees99

Progress?

DC is trying to inSTILL (sorry) a level of consistency in our performances.

I think the signings of Scott Loach and James Dunne are proving to be brilliant additions to the squad -just what the doctor ordered. Two top players for this level, and their passion is evident.

It’s those kind of additions that make or break a season, and if DC can bring in that crucial extra option in attack, I think there is great cause for optimism!

As you say, early days yet though.
beew

Re: Progress?

Loach and Dunne have been quality signings for us. Get an equally quality striker and we'd piss this league. Currie knows this and TK will back him for sure.
DerekRocholl

We are benefiting from some well overdue stability. Long may it continue.
john dockers shorts

When Sweeney is fit where does he play?
I'd play him instead of Reynolds all day long can't see DC doing that though
Ajtheone04

john dockers shorts wrote:When Sweeney is fit where does he play?
I'd play him instead of Reynolds all day long can't see DC doing that though
I suppose he'd have to earn back his place in the team
All 3 CB's will get sufficient gametime especially because Santos can't play on artificial pitches and there's quite a few occasions where we play Saturday and the following Tuesday which will lead to rotation
ninestein

What a great dilemma for DC to have though. A year ago we were worried about who would partner Sweeney in defence. Robson was there filling in whilst Santos and Reynolds were out long term.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
BeeArmy

I think DC may play Sweeney in midfield over Harry Taylor.
ninestein

Agreed. Sweeney has that versatility which would allow DC to play him in one of two positions depending on the situation.
If Santos needs to be managed and has to be rested in some games, Sweeney can slot into defence alongside Callum. If Santos is playing, Sweeney could play in front of the back 4. I think he'd excel there coming short looking for the ball, and being the player who starts our attacks. He likes to carry it forward, his passing is good, and he'll be strong in the air, especially as we often lack height in midfield defensively. It would take the pressure off our back 4 when we're up against a team that likes to lump it.

We no longer lack defensive midfielders. We're starting to find a good balance in the centre of the pitch.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
WinchyBee

With three quality CB's I think we'll see quite a bit of rotation this year which will be a good thing - we looked so tired in the back end of last year and it's so important to keep players fresh.....
Darrenp77

I have been working on the following points return for every 10 games that we play, and that is 21 points. That would enable us to lose 3 games

After 40 games that would put us on 84 with 6 games to play.

That would surely secure a playoff place, but what total would be looking at to win the league.

I would be more than happy with a playoff place this season as this has to be our minimum aim
b4life

Now it's 13 points from 8 games with a bunch of injuries too. It feels like progress from last season, especially in terms of attitude. Even the not so good players are putting in a shift and the team never gives up. Reynolds looks a better player than last year, the Taylors have been excellent. Only one team is unbeaten and we've only lost one despite many changes at the back. Despite quite a few injuries resulting in many team changes, we still seem to be playing with a fairly consistent style, everyone seems to know their jobs. That looks like good coaching and management to me, he's starting to get the best out of a limited squad. Could still do with a decent striker though, that could well be the difference between a 10th placed finish and 6th/7th. Maybe at long last we have a long term manager who will keep improving over this season and get us ready for a real promotion push next season, overall I am slightly more optimistic than I was at the start of the season.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
LeicesterBee

Definite progress this season in my book although it would be nice to have one match where we really put the opposition to the sword and hit them for 4 or 5

Not sure my heart can cope with narrow last minute winners/equalisers all season!