hoppy

Re: Notts County (Away) The Notts Going Out Match Thread

For me a full back needs to have the following strengths:
Strong in the tackles.
Speed on the ball and without the ball.
Good positional strength.
Good in the air.
Physically strong.
Ability to cross the ball into dangerous areas.
Strong with the throw ins.
Able to last the 90 minutes.
Confidence to shoot when the opportunity arises.

There are probably more qualities which come in time, eg leadership skills, but a good full back should have most of the above. At the moment I do not think Che ticks many of those off. Let's hope that he is working on his deficiencies.
Ajtheone04

One of the reasons the game took so long is because the ground is huge and there were like 4 lazy ball boys
But there is also a clear fitness difference and it's more obvious on TV
In the city game they were sprinting in the 30th minute but we were walking
rudebwoyben

We still looked fitter than County though!
Tuesds

magiovinium_bee wrote:Is there any merit in shoe-horning David Tutonda into right back when Eliot returns? I looked at the goal closely and ok Che showed him inside, but most tellingly he made absolutely no attempt to block the shot when the guy was obviously pulling the trigger. I agree with Si1970 that stinks of a lack of commitment. Contrast that with James Dunne who, sensing danger, dashed back and made a full length lunge to try and block the shot despite not being as well placed as Che to do so.

For me Che lacks commitment, lacks pace and appears more often than not uncomfortable in possession. Down the track how good would it be to see Mauro at Right Back?
Not good at all. When Mauro played there he was caught out repeatedly and had a tendency to dive in injudiciously (recall a penalty conceded at Newport, in the middle of a run of games when his lack of defensive instinct was costing us).

I agree with others that the jury’s out on Alexander, but I thought he had a good game yesterday! He made a minor mistake for the goal, yes, but in mitigation he was drawn in when a Taylor tried to nick the ball in midfield and misjudged it. He then had to sprint back to get goalside, and overcompensated and couldn’t adjust and shift his weight when Bolldewign burst inside. Yes it was an error, but one that would've been and gone in an instant if Boldewign hadn’t pulled off a one-in-fifty screamer into the top corner.

You might also wonder if with two Centre halves marking one forward and with two holding midfielders someone might have managed to see the danger sooner and get a block in. You might also recall Boldewign outstripping our left back (Johnson?) emphatically and scoring at the Hive for Crawley a couple of years back; no shame in being caught out by a player too good for the Conference.

You might also note Reynolds saying in post-match comments that they weren’t told in the pre-match analysis that Boldewign had ever scored a goal like that, so it obviously wasn't a particular threat the players were told to guard against (although regardless of that, as a right-footer Alexander was at fault for showing him inside).

But more importantly than that, Alexander to my eye put in a committed performance for the remaining 81 minutes of the game, and as at Sutton was using the ball bravely and going forward with real purpose. Shortly before the second goal he made a brilliant burst up the right and clipped in a perfect pass to J Taylor who, unusually, wasted the chance with a poor finish (but then redeemed himself with a killer pass for the goal of course).

All that said, I certainly wouldn’t be averse to us signing another right back if there’s better available, but I do question whether the narrative on Alexander is a little too firmly fixed.

EDIT: Because I’ve got a thousand more important things to do, I went and found that Boldewign goal at the Hive. From about 1 min 20s, here he is making Johnson look like a chump. Johnson’s not a chump; he just made an incorrect split-second decision and Boldewign punished him, just as he did Alexander yesterday. Doesn’t excuse Alexander’s error, but worth noting that he’s not the first Barnet full back caught out by a player who’s of a standard we will not face every week in this division!

https://youtu.be/4bQfHpux958
letchbee94

letchbee94 wrote:We due a win at Notts, got feeling it could bee tomorrow.
Well I did say :)

Thought it was decent game that in the end could have gone either way, we look in control when with the ball, I agree with Reckless about James Dunne he has been quality so far.
Jack and especially Harry Taylor continue to impress as well.

Good start but that is all it is, lets keep this going.
COYBs
LoudmouthBFC

Notts County F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 2 | The wait is over! | GAMEDAY! Vlog (10/08/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piT0Mf_TxEY
MCB

LoudmouthBFC wrote:Notts County F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 2 | The wait is over! | GAMEDAY! Vlog (10/08/19)

Less optimistic than most of us Matt?!

On the TV Notts County did very little, 1 worldie, 1 decent save from Loach, but they really didn't look after the ball that well. We were well off what we are capable of, so i'm very confident if we're knocking off tough away wins with relative ease.

Martin Allen set the target at 90 points. Basically 2 points per game. We're ahead of the curve..
Norfolkbee

MCB wrote:
LoudmouthBFC wrote:Notts County F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 2 | The wait is over! | GAMEDAY! Vlog (10/08/19)

On the TV Notts County did very little, 1 worldie, 1 decent save from Loach, but they really didn't look after the ball that well. We were well off what we are capable of, so i'm very confident if we're knocking off tough away wins with relative ease.

Martin Allen set the target at 90 points. Basically 2 points per game. We're ahead of the curve..
As Bees fans, our initial target is usually 45 points. :whistle:
MCB

simmosenior wrote:52, surely?
Well, 45 more should do it!

Anyway, people, appreciate this goal. From back to front, the ball only in the air when it was being lifted over the goalkeeper. Perfect #CurrieBall - and a great example of what speed can do in this division when combined with someone capable of playing a killer pass like Jack Taylor can do
LoudmouthBFC

MCB wrote:

We was poor in the first half, better in the 2nd, that's easy to see. Notts was poor, I'm a pessimistic. Being a Barnet fan does that to you. Still a long way to go. Chesterfield thought they was onto something last season.......
talldarkslim

Delighted with the win and thanks to George for his hospitality. Notts County were awful so we should bear that in mind. Every time we gave the ball away they gave it back to us. Dover are playing well and will give us a tougher test tomorrow night. It is good to look forward to our games once again.