Notts County (Away) The Notts Going Out Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Mickbee

Re: Notts County (Away) The Notts Going Out Match Thread

A great win yesterday, although again our failings in the last third were apparent. We really need to inject some pace into our midfield down the left which is why I'd like to see Dave play ahead of Elliott in midfield.
Can't wait to see who DC is bringing in this week. We really need someone to lead the line.
rudebwoyben

let_it_bee wrote:Didn't get to see the game in the end. Delighted with the result, obviously, but just surprised to see all the criticism of Dunne after his impressive performance last Saturday. What has gone wrong there?
No criticism from me about his performance. He does all of the donkey work in midfield well in the same way that Togwell did for us. Most of his best work is done when we don’t have the ball.
djhdjh

He looks like he's going to get himself sent off a couple of times this season but then again it's pretty tough to be the midfield hardman and not do that. He's more than just a clogger (same as Togwell) in that he can move the ball quickly and simply when he gets hold of it. Not sure he's quite as good as Togwell (not as positionally disciplined) but he definitely makes life easier for the Taylors in there. Good signing thus far.
Reckless

let_it_bee wrote:Didn't get to see the game in the end. Delighted with the result, obviously, but just surprised to see all the criticism of Dunne after his impressive performance last Saturday. What has gone wrong there?
We were always better than County during that game. Two people seemed to have mentioned James Dunne and that he was poor - its all about opinions I get that, but mine is the complete opposite. He took the yellow card for the team. He has been class so far, not sure what others were watching to be honest, he was always in the thick of it and doesn't go missing, always available for a pass too. Looks to me a very good addition. The defence, apart from Cheye Alexander (the jury is s till out on him as far as I am concerned) coped with everything that was thrown at them, Loach is also a very very good addition to this squad and his save in the second half was quality. We all know the weakness, but Ruby now has a dilemma if another forward comes in - Coulthirst is not going to sit on the bench for the season and Akinola scored with a classy finish from a pin pointer from Jack Taylor. The result on Tuesday night will confirm it for me whether this team is good enough - a straight forward solid win is what we need, no heroics.
MCB

Only seen him twice, but he seems better on the ball to me than Togwell, capable of moving the ball at speed. Also prepared to come forward and offer a goal threat. He'll score more than Togwell (not hard!).

Very impressed with what I've seen.

Also great to see DC's faith in Harry Taylor.
magiovinium_bee

Is there any merit in shoe-horning David Tutonda into right back when Eliot returns? I looked at the goal closely and ok Che showed him inside, but most tellingly he made absolutely no attempt to block the shot when the guy was obviously pulling the trigger. I agree with Si1970 that stinks of a lack of commitment. Contrast that with James Dunne who, sensing danger, dashed back and made a full length lunge to try and block the shot despite not being as well placed as Che to do so.

For me Che lacks commitment, lacks pace and appears more often than not uncomfortable in possession. Down the track how good would it be to see Mauro at Right Back?
hoofer2

A great report in today's non League paper. Currie deserves much credit for quiet confidence in putting emphasis on strength of team vs team of individuals and this is reflected in the report.

The great thing about the season start is we all have opinions about who should be in starting XI. Those players especially Akinola have seized their chance. Currie himself has intimated winning is a habit, and would you break a winning team? We seem to have a togetherness between players, management and fans that I have not felt since Edgar Davids got us playing that way!

Every season we have a breakthrough player. Last year it was Coulthirst. What an option to have challenging for place in first XI. We have options in midfield and left back.

Still think we are short at centre half, but can always get loan if needed.
Norfolkbee

Ain't it funny, whenever Barnet beat a "big" club, the opposing fans' mantra is always "we were absolute shite, we shouldn't be losing to them". It's almost fun watching them come out with this. It has happened for years and probably always will.
finchleyman

Norfolkbee wrote:Ain't it funny, whenever Barnet beat a "big" club, the opposing fans' mantra is always "we were absolute shite, we shouldn't be losing to them". It's almost fun watching them come out with this. It has happened for years and probably always will.
That's nol what I read on their forum. They are saying Bees won all 50/50 balls, wanted it more, were fitter and the better team. Resonates with the way we felt when John Still was in charge last season. They need to get rid of their manager fast.
ricardobee

Watched the game last night and was quite impressed with how the Bees played. They do need a big lump up front, Regis or Akinde type, as Currie said just for something different. 7 points from the first 3 games says it all.
As for BT coverage, they are going the same way as Sky, politically correctness. I don't care male or female presenters, as long as they know what they are talking about. Just having a female because she may look attractive is not the way to encourage viewers. Over the last few years all tv stations seem to be going down this road. Sky's coverage of the cricket World Cup was spoilt by the overt bias by the commentators towards every team England played.
It's great that BT are covering this league but let's not have bimbo's or wooden so-called experts.
becbee

Norfolkbee wrote:Ain't it funny, whenever Barnet beat a "big" club, the opposing fans' mantra is always "we were absolute shite, we shouldn't be losing to them". It's almost fun watching them come out with this. It has happened for years and probably always will.
I haven't read a single superiority comment from the Notts County fans, more a case of saying that their players are awful, there is no team plan, their manager is awful, etc etc.
becbee

ricardobee wrote:Watched the game last night and was quite impressed with how the Bees played. They do need a big lump up front, Regis or Akinde type, as Currie said just for something different. 7 points from the first 3 games says it all.
As for BT coverage, they are going the same way as Sky, politically correctness. I don't care male or female presenters, as long as they know what they are talking about. Just having a female because she may look attractive is not the way to encourage viewers. Over the last few years all tv stations seem to be going down this road. Sky's coverage of the cricket World Cup was spoilt by the overt bias by the commentators towards every team England played.
It's great that BT are covering this league but let's not have bimbo's or wooden so-called experts.
I'm just pleased that they didn't wheel out Martin Allen, given that he'd managed both clubs.
Norfolkbee

becbee wrote:
I haven't read a single superiority comment from the Notts County fans, more a case of saying that their players are awful, there is no team plan, their manager is awful, etc etc.
I get the impression that they are stunned that they are now losing to clubs in the Conference. That's how bad they are.
ETBee

It's weird watching a Bees' game on TV, especially as most of the games I see on the box are Premiership or internationals. Not surprisingly, it emphasises the huge difference in quality but what I noticed yesterday was how long it took to take throw ins, free kicks and corners. It sometimes looked as though our players were worn out. It wasn't time wasting after we scored, sorry "game management", as it was throughout the game. It probably doesn't help having watched WH v Man City early in the day - amazing skills.

A good result though. I hope it increases Akinola's confidence so he can become more of an out and out striker as I can't see any new strikers coming in soon.
barnet34

magiovinium_bee wrote:Is there any merit in shoe-horning David Tutonda into right back when Eliot returns? I looked at the goal closely and ok Che showed him inside, but most tellingly he made absolutely no attempt to block the shot when the guy was obviously pulling the trigger. I agree with Si1970 that stinks of a lack of commitment. Contrast that with James Dunne who, sensing danger, dashed back and made a full length lunge to try and block the shot despite not being as well placed as Che to do so.

For me Che lacks commitment, lacks pace and appears more often than not uncomfortable in possession. Down the track how good would it be to see Mauro at Right Back?
Unfortunately for Cheye the camera doesn't lie, that was lukewarm defending and made to look worse by Dunne's valliant attempt to recover the situation.
Last edited by barnet34 on 11 Aug 2019, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.