Yeovil Town (Hive) The Power of Glove Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ETBee

Re: Yeovil Town (Hive) The Power of Glove Match Thread

Great start to the season. DC seems to have instilled a much more determined attitude and a willingness to keep going. Despite what their detractors will continue to say Reynolds, Alexander and Sparkes played well. Sparkes' crosses were excellent Very impressed by Loach, he'll be a star this season and will keep us in may games.

Jack Taylor was everywhere and fought for every ball and will form a great partnership with Dunne over the weeks. Santos was solid at blocking high balls but his distribution was shocking at times. He took several free kicks and most went directly to an opposition player. Towards the end of the second half he seemed to pull a hamstring so I suspect he won't feature in the Sutton game.

I thought we started pretty chaotically and just pumped balls forward without any particular purpose (may have been a starting tactic) and Yeovil looked more likely to score. Once we settled down we looked much more confident, especially after the break. Not the highest quality game but very entertaining as the result was always in doubt.

So obvious that we need a striker. I thought Shaq did little when he came on and is maybe still suffering from his back injury. Looked a bit overweight too! I was disappointed players didn't just take a shot when they had a chance, preferring to hesitate and pass rather than take responsibility.

I'm glad we didn't sign Murphy, as some wished. He spent the whole game moaning at the ref and blatantly cheating in the box. He was determined to "win" a penalty but the ref was not being fooled.
LoudmouthBFC

Barnet F.C. 1 v Yeovil Town F.C. 0 | Hello Season 2019/20 | GAMEDAY! Vlog (03/08/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTd68aDzmE
StephenM

Reckless wrote:
Psycho wrote:Oh, and I saw the traditional Indian wedding. Why on earth they come to THL beats me?
I think they live locally.
The cost of venue is probably competitive against other wedding hire venues too. At a guess, they were probably warned the hire was taken out before the fixtures had been announced.
Beeznizz

First game of the season and I was pretty upbeat afterwards. Not with just the 3pts ( always good to win your 1st game at home in a new season), but the fact that key players were missing and the ones that were carrying knocks/niggles declared themselves fit and managed to play well!
Santos, Alexander, J Taylor and Dunne, who wasn’t injured, but had only trained a few days prior, all played well!
Testament to the fact they want to play for and understand what’s needed under DC & the management team’s ethics.

My ratings:

Loach ..7..A few saves early on & an incredible one near the end from Murphy’s free kick. Very impressed with his communication to those in front of him! Came for balls in the air to calm things down & distribution was good, particularly finding the right option, whether it be long or played out short to start play from the back.

Alexander..7..One of those players injured pre season & thought would miss this game. I have said before that he had bulked up and did very well in the pre season games. Did very well. Defensively solid and recovery was excellent especially on the cover last man.
Some great crosses and knew when to play or clear his lines.

Tutonda..7..When DT is on his game ( especially defensively ), he’s arguably the best of the 3 LB’s we have at the club. Healthy competition between him and Johnson on that side. Defensively on point, breaking up much of the play, particularly in the 1st half down his side and drove forward causing problems breaking through the lines. Worked well with Sparkes.

Santos..9..MotM.. Excellent! Won everything in the air, positioning was spot on & worked well with both Alexander & Reynolds. Loved the way he dominated Murphy! A bit worrying with the knock he took and would be surprised if he was risked on Tuesday!

Reynolds..9..Like his central defensive partner, he was excellent. Positioning was very good and always on hand to receive the ball & play with good purpose! Marshalled his side & worked well with Tutonda.

Note: The back five will obviously have more sterner tests to come, but I see the makings of a very good solid and stubborn defence, that will mix it up and have good technique and pace going forward too.

Dunne..6... Not really had a pre season, but he put himself about once he got to grips with the pace of the game. An experienced head in the midfield that’ll break up play and play simple. I’d like to think J Taylor will thrive working with him this season.

H Taylor..6..Started slowly & like Dunne got to grips with pace of the game after around 20 mins. He looks a lot fitter and never stopped running.

J Taylor..7..We all now what Jack brings to this team. He was full of running and always looking to drive forward breaking the lines or spreading the play.

Elito..7..Looked sharp & was the player who dictated a lot of our play. Did dither at times or tried to beat too many players, but some of his play to get out of trouble in tight areas and set off attacks was good. Is he left or right footed?

Sparkes..8.. A really good performance. Was aggressive on the left wing & put in some very good deliveries ( oh for a number 9 ).One of which Akinola should’ve put away. Consistent performances like that in the future & hopefully he’ll start to win over some of the detractors.

Akinola..8..Was asked to play up top and credit to him, he ran his socks off. Sim could’ve had a hat trick with some of the chances he had with one in particular that went straight to the keeper. Couldn’t fault his efforts at all.

Subs..

Mason-Clarke..5..Added a bit of energy, but to me, still looked a bit laboured.
Shaq..4..Didn’t really get going. Another that didn’t look fit

Don’t know whether the players were in on Sunday, but think that some would need to be assessed and decisions made on who can play on Sutton’s terrible surface on Tuesday.
Last edited by Beeznizz on 05 Aug 2019, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Roy57

Agree loach had a good game and his save from murphys free kick was too class. But noticed that in the players picked for team of the day. Keeper was Mark cousins of now Bromley.
becbee

Roy57 wrote:Agree loach had a good game and his save from murphys free kick was too class. But noticed that in the players picked for team of the day. Keeper was Mark cousins of now Bromley.
Yes but we all know how random the Team of the Day is. According to the Bromley match report, Quote : "In truth, the defences of both sides came out on top, as they limited each other to very few clear cut chances, with neither goalkeeper being tested significantly."
Roy57

Suppose we should be grateful for having DC in charge and having strong group of good players. We have all been moaning about club not signing top striker etc. But just read Chesterfield,s forum. They are not a happy bunch to say the least. They say worse team than last year. Makes Martin Allen's team look good. team play so narrow other teams will catch on and love playing them. No width and these are the good comments lol This after loosing at home to Dover.
Mem Beespod

Beeznizz wrote:First game of the season and I was pretty upbeat afterwards. Not with just the 3pts ( always good to win your 1st game at home in a new season), but the fact that key players were missing and the ones that were carrying knocks/niggles declared themselves fit and managed to play well!
Santos, Alexander, J Taylor and Dunne, who wasn’t injured, but had only trained a few days prior, all played well!
Testament to the fact they want to play for and understand what’s needed under DC & the management team’s ethics.

My ratings:

Loach ..7..A few saves early on & an incredible one near the end from Murphy’s free kick. Very impressed with his communication to those in front of him! Came for balls in the air to calm things down & distribution was good, particularly finding the right option, whether it be long or played out short to start play from the back.

Alexander..7..One of those players injured pre season & thought would miss this game. I have said before that he had bulked up and did very well in the pre season games. Did very well. Defensively solid and recovery was excellent especially on the cover last man.

Tutonda..7..When DT is on his game ( especially defensively ), he’s arguably the best of the 3 LB’s we have at the club. Healthy competition between him and Johnson on that side. Defensively on point, breaking up much of the play, particularly in the 1st half down his side and drove forward causing problems breaking through the lines. Worked well with Sparkes.

Santos..9..MotM.. Excellent! Won everything in the air, positioning was spot on & worked well with both Alexander & Reynolds. Loved the way he dominated Murphy! A bit worrying with the knock he took and would be surprised if he was risked on Tuesday!

Reynolds..9..Like his central defensive partner, he was excellent. Positioning was very good and always on hand to receive the ball & play with good purpose! Marshalled his side & worked well with Tutonda.

Note: The back five will obviously have more sterner tests to come, but I see the makings of a very good solid and stubborn defence, that will mix it up and have good technique and pace going forward too.

Dunne..6... Not really had a pre season, but he put himself about once he got to grips with the pace of the game. An experienced head in the midfield that’ll break up play and play simple. I’d like to think J Taylor will thrive working with him this season.

H Taylor..6..Started slowly & like Dunne got to grips with pace of the game after around 20 mins. He looks a lot fitter and never stopped running.

J Taylor..7..We all now what Jack brings to this team. He was full of running and always looking to drive forward breaking the lines or spreading the play.

Elito..7..Looked sharp & was the player who dictated a lot of our play. Did dither at times or tried to beat too many players, but some of his play to get out of trouble in tight areas and set off attacks was good. Is he left or right footed?

Sparkes..8.. A really good performance. Was aggressive on the left wing & put in some very good deliveries ( oh for a number 9 ).One of which Akinola should’ve put away. Consistent performances like that in the future & hopefully he’ll start to win over some of the detractors.

Akinola..8..Was asked to play up top and credit to him, he ran his socks off. Sim could’ve had a hat trick with some of the chances he had with one in particular that went straight to the keeper. Couldn’t fault his efforts at all.

Subs..

Don’t know whether the players were in on Sunday, but think that some would need to be assessed and decisions made on who can play on Sutton’s terrible surface on Tuesday.
To me our CMs deserve a better score and Elito fairly quiet.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
b4life

Ratings are over the top imho. You're rating us as a team in play off form after one match against a make shift relegated team. The performance was Ok, that's all. A long long way to go. How anyone can say Alexander had a good game is beyond me. Out of position many times, beaten to the ball often and distribution poor.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
dpa

b4life wrote:Ratings are over the top imho. You're rating us as a team in play off form after one match against a make shift relegated team. The performance was Ok, that's all. A long long way to go. How anyone can say Alexander had a good game is beyond me. Out of position many times, beaten to the ball often and distribution poor.
Completely agree with the above.

I think we looked a bit lost in the first half and Yeovil bossed the first 45 mins. Only in the latter part of the half did we show promise. A better side would have been 2/3 NIL up. DC obviously tweaked things at half time and we looked a different side.

Mate is a Yeovil fan and that team has been thrown together in the close season. 8 new players I think and they are looking for a proper centre forward, like us. Their No 9 was a pain but Santos dealt with him.

In closing I would also like to say how impressed I was with JT. I am not a big fan and find him frustrating at times when he goes sideways and backwards however on Saturday he seemed to be playing a more advanced role and it suited him - more of the same please.
dpa

b4life wrote:Ratings are over the top imho. You're rating us as a team in play off form after one match against a make shift relegated team. The performance was Ok, that's all. A long long way to go. How anyone can say Alexander had a good game is beyond me. Out of position many times, beaten to the ball often and distribution poor.
Completely agree with the above.

I think we looked a bit lost in the first half and Yeovil bossed the first 45 mins. Only in the latter part of the half did we show promise. A better side would have been 2/3 NIL up. DC obviously tweaked things at half time and we looked a different side.

Mate is a Yeovil fan and that team has been thrown together in the close season. 8 new players I think and they are looking for a proper centre forward, like us. Their No 9 was a pain but Santos dealt with him.

In closing I would also like to say how impressed I was with JT. I am not a big fan and find him frustrating at times when he goes sideways and backwards however on Saturday he seemed to be playing a more advanced role and it suited him - more of the same please.
Beeznizz

I’m rating the team on what I saw on Saturday and Saturday only! Our first game and yes we have played just the One match! I didn’t say anything to suggest we are a play off team! I’m not delusional to think that! I will agree with you that there’s a long way to go,which really is pretty, well, obvious!
I thought Alexander did have a good game IMO. Not going to go over how I saw his performance in depth as it’s quite obvious whatever I think he did right, you wouldn’t agree with! I’ve said it in my overated ratings!! Opinions,we all have them.
I said I was upbeat after the game, knowing that we’d play a lot better with our injured players coming back into the team & was impressed by what DC is instilling in the team.
Funny, that most fans saw a defeat after hearing about our injuries & even more so,feeling a bit deflated after seeing the team sheet on the day! And we were playing a depleted relegated side.
Beeznizz

Mr Smart wrote:
Beeznizz wrote:First game of the season and I was pretty upbeat afterwards. Not with just the 3pts ( always good to win your 1st game at home in a new season), but the fact that key players were missing and the ones that were carrying knocks/niggles declared themselves fit and managed to play well!

My ratings:

Subs..

To me our CMs deserve a better score and Elito fairly quiet.
Will have to agree Mr Smart. I was clouded by the first twenty mins where I thought we didn’t seem to win second balls centrally enough! I did say that both got to grips with play and pace of the game. Agreed though! Sorry!
Shmulib100

Any sign of highlight videos anywhere?
becbee

becbee wrote:
Roy57 wrote:Agree loach had a good game and his save from murphys free kick was too class. But noticed that in the players picked for team of the day. Keeper was Mark cousins of now Bromley.
Yes but we all know how random the Team of the Day is. According to the Bromley match report, Quote : "In truth, the defences of both sides came out on top, as they limited each other to very few clear cut chances, with neither goalkeeper being tested significantly."
And as if to prove my point about the randomness of Team of the Day really is, the Vanarama and the NLP Teams of the Day only have 4 players in common. Including having Ricardo Santos instead of Simeon Akinola and a different goalkeeper.