Off Season Rumours...

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Off Season Rumours...

So, obligatory - who have you seen linked, or who has been released you'd like to see us sign?

Leyton Orient have released Charlie Lee (he has won promotion 5 times), Jay Simpson and Alex Lawless. All experienced, talented players, getting on a bit. Doubtless would demand a few quid, but perhaps, won't be able to get...

Meanwhile, I have no idea what's going on here
Or this wingers got some familiar moves...
mcleod23

Re: Off Season Rumours...

Lee and Lawless are two that i'd have right away. We've needed players of this ilk for so many years. Sign them up!!! (and can play different positions).
Tuesds

Well, Leyton Orient’s announcement today has also contributed to this summer’s version of the ‘Big Lad Up Front Who’s Available’ with the news that James Alabi has been placed on the transfer list. He’s a seriously big unit but is also fairly mobile. He was prolific for Chester in the Conference a few years ago, and didn’t he cause a measure of mayhem when he came on in our 3-1 defeat at Brisbane Road this season?

He talked about being on the pojnt of joining a league 2 club in January 2017, but turning it down because it ‘didn’t feel right’. It was the transfer window during which we splashed the cash, and it was widely rumoured/assumed/known(?) to be us.

Other available players I’m intrigued by include Andy Barcham (released by AFCW); Paris Cowan-Hall from Wycombe (this is a very optimistic one); Rhys Murphy (released by Chelmsford); Lee Angol (under contract but out of favour at Shrewsbury, former Hendon teammate of DC); I remember Marcus Bean (also released by Wycombe) being an utter nuisance in games vs the Chairboys, so he might complement the more aesthetic, possession-based qualities of the likes of J Taylor and Boucaud.

Michael Timlin is a very strong central midfielder who was a key player throughout the season for Stevenage. Boro fans seem surprised/disappointed he’s been let go.

I haven’t mentioned any defenders because I’m hoping that won’t need any (ie Sweeney and Santos and Tutonda etc will stay). Oh, we do need a right back. Harriman (Wycombe) or, probably more realistically, Brad Barry (Chesterfield) are a couple of good candidates for that role who are free agents. EDIT - I see Ian Evatt had the same idea about Brad Barry and has signed him for Barrow, so you can forget about him!
Last edited by Tuesds on 21 May 2019, 00:48, edited 3 times in total.
Mikel Bee

Top priority for DC has to be to keep hold of Cesinha over the summer IMO. Even if he does have the clap, he's been our best striker since Akinde left.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesinha ... born_1989)
LeicesterBee

Mikel Bee wrote:Top priority for DC has to be to keep hold of Cesinha over the summer IMO. Even if he does have the clap, he's been our best striker since Akinde left.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesinha ... born_1989)
Definitely. He was unplayable in the match at Barrow and who can forget the 11 goals he scored in the second half at home to Eastleigh
#Beebot

Alabi has flopped everywhere he's been since his one good season at Chester.
Tuesds

Big-Lad-Up-Front Watch continues with the release by Colchester of Mikael Mandron. He’s had a very lean season, but was very highly rated when he last played at our level, for Eastleigh.

Seems to have been popular with the fans at Col U, who largely appear surprised/disappointed by his release.
mcleod23

Tuesd if we signed some of the players you have outlined, we'd be in for a very good season.

Luke Wilkinson is the stand out defender available for me. Won the league at Luton. Tough, no nonsense CB who's only played in the South / London. Formerly of Dag & Red so may be known to Currie.

We have to sign some experience all over the pitch. Go and get some players who demand a tad more than you'd be willing to pay normally - they'll be worth it over the course of the season.
PBBee

I see Paul Mcacallum has announced he’s leaving Eastleigh.
Pingorock

Rumour that he is going to Solihull
Mem Beespod

Tuesds wrote:Well, Leyton Orient’s announcement today has also contributed to this summer’s version of the ‘Big Lad Up Front Who’s Available’ with the news that James Alabi has been placed on the transfer list. He’s a seriously big unit but is also fairly mobile. He was prolific for Chester in the Conference a few years ago, and didn’t he cause a measure of mayhem when he came on in our 3-1 defeat at Brisbane Road this season?

He talked about being on the pojnt of joining a league 2 club in January 2017, but turning it down because it ‘didn’t feel right’. It was the transfer window during which we splashed the cash, and it was widely rumoured/assumed/known(?) to be us.

Other available players I’m intrigued by include Andy Barcham (released by AFCW); Paris Cowan-Hall from Wycombe (this is a very optimistic one); Rhys Murphy (released by Chelmsford); Lee Angol (under contract but out of favour at Shrewsbury, former Hendon teammate of DC); I remember Marcus Bean (also released by Wycombe) being an utter nuisance in games vs the Chairboys, so he might complement the more aesthetic, possession-based qualities of the likes of J Taylor and Boucaud.

Michael Timlin is a very strong central midfielder who was a key player throughout the season for Stevenage. Boro fans seem surprised/disappointed he’s been let go.

I haven’t mentioned any defenders because I’m hoping that won’t need any (ie Sweeney and Santos and Tutonda etc will stay). Oh, we do need a right back. Harriman (Wycombe) or, probably more realistically, Brad Barry (Chesterfield) are a couple of good candidates for that role who are free agents. EDIT - I see Ian Evatt had the same idea about Brad Barry and has signed him for Barrow, so you can forget about him!
Marcus Bean agreed to come to us two seasons ago but TK wouldn’t rubber stamp it because of his age and cost. I doubt he’d allow it now 2 years on
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Mem Beespod

#Beebot wrote:Alabi has flopped everywhere he's been since his one good season at Chester.
If a big man leading the line unlocked the goalscoring potential of the players around him (like Heskey did at Liverpool) then him not being a regular scorer wouldn’t be an issue to me. Problem is, none of the other players except Shaq have shown the potential to score more than
10 goals
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Tuesds

Mr Smart wrote:
Marcus Bean agreed to come to us two seasons ago but TK wouldn’t rubber stamp it because of his age and cost. I doubt he’d allow it now 2 years on
Oh man, he really would’ve filled the defensive midfielder-shaped hole in our squad, which had more than a little bit to do with our relegation, more than adequately. I expect you’re right that we/he won’t retrace our steps on a deal that we didn’t go through with, but if he’s lowered his pay expectations maybe we shouldn’t worry too much about his age; he’s three weeks younger than Boucaud, after all!
ninestein

So we went for Fuad Sule instead of Marcus Bean... oh dear!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
#Beebot

Mr Smart wrote:
Tuesds wrote:Well, Leyton Orient’s announcement today has also contributed to this summer’s version of the ‘Big Lad Up Front Who’s Available’ with the news that James Alabi has been placed on the transfer list. He’s a seriously big unit but is also fairly mobile. He was prolific for Chester in the Conference a few years ago, and didn’t he cause a measure of mayhem when he came on in our 3-1 defeat at Brisbane Road this season?

Surprised by this given the number of older players TK has signed off on.

Again to me this just indicates that Rossi was not cut out for management. MA for example would surely have pushed this through rather than taking no for an answer.