Stanley the tout

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
amberforever

Re: Stanley the tout

Wow. Didn’t know that. A flip side to the man.
RichardM

amberforever wrote:Wow. Didn’t know that. A flip side to the man.
Before Stan took over Barnet he was a supporter of Arsenal going to home and away games. Our neighbour in Whetstone owned the newsagents at the parade of shops just down the hill in Totteridge Lane from the tube station. His young son Supported Arsenal and Stan, who was a regular customer in the newsagents, took the boy to all the games paying for his tickets, rail fares and food.
ricardobee

He certainly was a Jekyll and Hyde character, he could never be forgiven for how he left the club in the shit and how some Bees supporters were threatened. But I know and it's hard to believe he did have a soft side. After the Bradford City fire disaster he was one of the first to organise a friendly where all moneys went to the disaster fund.
Monsieur Abeille

Let's not forget he was responsible for rescuing us from bankruptcy, then achieving our highest ever position in the league pyramid, as well as the subsequent tumble. Dull he wasn't!
StephenM

RichardM wrote:
Before Stan took over Barnet he was a supporter of Arsenal going to home and away games. Our neighbour in Whetstone owned the newsagents at the parade of shops just down the hill in Totteridge Lane from the tube station. His young son Supported Arsenal and Stan, who was a regular customer in the newsagents, took the boy to all the games paying for his tickets, rail fares and food.
Did he do anything nice for the boy to compensate?
finchleyman

Monsieur Abeille wrote:Let's not forget he was responsible for rescuing us from bankruptcy, then achieving our highest ever position in the league pyramid, as well as the subsequent tumble. Dull he wasn't!
Stan was generally OK but he ran out of money. Him and Bazza had their differences which sometimes reverberated around the ground!. Poor old Stan died of a heart attack in 1999, six years after he left the Club on the verge of bankruptcy (again) - can't believe that was twenty years ago.

The days of Stan and Bazza were a lot more entertaining than they are today - that's for sure.
alexbach

hIs son was such a talented goalkeeper
rudebwoyben

alexbach

And the news of this politician today is a tonic to the nationImageImage

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
MCB

alexbach

This is not boris.like Stan when he gave the statement it is an imposter
Remember a game at York city
clubcall had a recorded message, where he dismissed the importance of fans
Stanley denied,{ speaking to the nation on five live }that it was him- hence the imposter
Last edited by alexbach on 18 May 2019, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
RichardM

StephenM wrote:
RichardM wrote:
Good Point. COYS and COYB of course.
RichardM

RichardM wrote:
StephenM wrote:
RichardM wrote:
Good Point. COYS and COYB of course.
hoofer2

At Underhill in my teens, we often chose to stand at the terrace in front of Mr Flashman / Tannoy room to hear Stan Flashmans strong verbal opinions about player performances. John Docker seemed to a real target for verbal volleys.

Taking the club to the brink is inexcusable and it's clear that managing finances of a football club in the way you ran a ticket brokerage would catch up with you, but what a time to be a Bees fan.
The football was sublime at time, the terraces thriving and players who knew what it meant to perform in a bees shirt.

It's mental health week this week, and what hindsight shows is that Stan's mental health was in decline in the years before he died that contributed to increasingly erratic behaviour.
In todays's world, Imagine the outrage of a person with mental health issues being aggressively hounded by the media, with a national campaign against them, not being able to leave house without
being tailed by a pap. All to provoke a response that was to be photographed and made into the infamous "Ban Fat Stan Poster" that was circulated in it's thousands and papered onto
a huge mobile billboard, motivation to sell papers rather than genuinely care about Barnet FC.

At the time I was one of many caught up in the mania, upset that the club was brought to the brink after our most successful season in history and took pleasure
in having the poster on my wall. But on reflection part of me feels ashamed that I made a small contribution to the Sun's hate campaign against an individual who played a big part in
bringing seasons of football joy that will never be bettered. We had every right to be angry and protest, shame it was hijacked by the Sun,
MCB

hoofer2 wrote: Taking the club to the brink is inexcusable and it's clear that managing finances of a football club in the way you ran a ticket brokerage would catch up with you, but what a time to be a Bees fan.
The football was sublime at time, the terraces thriving and players who knew what it meant to perform in a bees shirt.

All to provoke a response that was to be photographed and made into the infamous "Ban Fat Stan Poster" that was circulated in it's thousands and papered onto
a huge mobile billboard, motivation to sell papers rather than genuinely care about Barnet FC.

At the time I was one of many caught up in the mania, upset that the club was brought to the brink after our most successful season in history and took pleasure
in having the poster on my wall. But on reflection part of me feels ashamed that I made a small contribution to the Sun's hate campaign against an individual who played a big part in
bringing seasons of football joy that will never be bettered. We had every right to be angry and protest, shame it was hijacked by the Sun,
All good points, I still have my Ban Fat Stan Poster. But that came around after he assaulted one of their photographers.

I'm not sure whether I have much sympathy for Stan. If you listen to the fabulous Magic Sponge Podcast Barry Fry Episode you realise that there was a sustained programme of fraud against HMRC that could seriously impact almost everyone of the people that worked so diligently for the club then (when Barry came to claim his pension they claimed he hadn't worked for the entire time he was at Barnet - fortunately Bazza's wife had kept all of his payslips that showed that the club had 'paid' NI. But as he said, those coming up to pensionable age and havn't got their payslips will struggle to get their full pension for any time they worked at Barnet FC).

There is a big difference between 'cheeky chappie' and a lot of the seemingly quite dark things that went on, and that certainly includes taking this club to the precipice. Also #FuckYouWalsall