Ups & Downs

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ninestein

Ups & Downs

With our own season over and a handful of dead rubbers to play, one can safely look at the divisions above and below and cast an eye on who might be joining our division next season.
Seeing as we have got used to looking below us in the table over recent years, let’s start with the National League North/South…

In the Northern division, it’s a straight fight between Stockport and Chorley for automatic promotion. With 3 games to play, Stockport are top by 1 point. Potential playoff teams include Telford and Altrincham. More noticeably, Bradford Park Avenue are in there, and I can’t think we’ve faced Brackley or Spennymoor in my lifetime, so they would be a new opponent. But I suspect it will be Stockport for the title, and they will probably do ok in our league next year.

In the southern division, it’s a welcome return back to Torquay. Hopefully the away game at Plainmoor will be at a sensible time of year, so 2nd week in December it is! Woking and Welling are guaranteed a playoff place, and Chelmsford should be in there too. Moneybags Billericay Town, Bath City and St. Albans are currently in playoff positions, but are not guaranteed. They could still be caught by Dartford and the Wealdstone Raider. I’ve got mixed feelings about who I’d like to see come up. On the one hand we had some great ding-dong games with Woking, although St. Albans is a great one for leaving the missus at the shops whilst I head to Clarence Park. Do we really want to see Wealdstone at the Hive? Could make for an interesting side-plot.

As for League 2, it’s any two from Notts County, Yeovil and Macclesfield. Cambridge and Crawley should be safe with 4 to play and an 8-point cushion. With all due respect, none of those teams coming down will appeal to many of us. I suppose if Notts County do drop, all eyes will be on them next season as far as the bookies and BT Sport are concerned. They might be the best of a bad bunch in terms of glamour. Am surprised they haven't given the dog a bone in the last week or 2.

Who would you prefer to see us play next season?
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
mcleod23

Re: Ups & Downs

St. Albans would be great and be a local game for many.

Yeovil looked doomed. Notts may scrape it...
amberforever

Torquay away in late August, balmy seas, beer gardens, just shirts and shorts. !! Ok, so it’s thermal underwear at the ready.
ccollis_869

St Albans would be a massive family affair for me with many of one side of my family being home and away St Albans followers. Couldn't bring myself to believe we would be in the same league as them though!
pokal02

Stockport and Chorley are definitely in my all time top 5 least favourite away trips. So I Hope someone else wins the CN play-offs. Brackley would be nice - my one previous visit there saw them lose 0-12 to Long Buckby in front of eight spectators.

Can't get too excited about Torquay, Welling, Chelmsford or Woking either. Have to hope an outsider like Bath or St Albans come up on the rails.
Mikel Bee

Yeovil for no other reason than to see their rise and fall from the Championship complete.

Macc would be the first ever club to come straight back down.
amberforever

Did St Albans sort out their ground issues that have been a problem in past promotion attempts?
jerroll

amberforever wrote:Did St Albans sort out their ground issues that have been a problem in past promotion attempts?
yes, they had a season at this level back in 06/07. The trees that caused the problems with the ground grading sadly died! They are still talking about moving however.
pgbee

Mikel Bee wrote:Yeovil for no other reason than to see their rise and fall from the Championship complete.
The same as our rise and fall to L1 was complete in the 90s and unlikely to be repeated in the near future. Imho clubs generally do not sustain these high spots, I'm sure e.g. Fleetwood will end up back in non league eventually...
letchbee94

Stockport are away to Chorley this Saturday as well.
#Beebot

Concord and Slough are also within touching distance of the NL South playoffs.

The former would probably be the most tinpot club ever seen at this level.
beew

Cambridge are on a bad run. Great away day.
buzzinbee

I can see Sandwichgate Concord FC taking St. Albans place tomorrow, with their game in hand away to Truro.

Two of the top three inform NLN clubs play tomorrow as well, with Brackley visiting to Altrincham.
rudebwoyben

beew wrote:Cambridge are on a bad run. Great away day.
No chance they’re going down. Two of the bottom 3 would have to show promotion form for the remainder of their matches to supplant Cambridge Utd.
BeesKnees99

Stockport would be great - as we saw in the FA Cup their fanbase is incredible, and would bring some much needed atmosphere to this league of mostly tinpot clubs who happen to be bankrolled, eg Ebbsfleet, Solihull etc.

County would be a big club in our league, and I could see them being a surprise package for promotion next season should they recruit well.

Torquay is absolutely miles away, and a miserable dump. I look forward to visiting again.

I feel for Notts County, they just can’t seem to escape this terrible mire. Could end up in NL North if they’re not careful.