Dorchester (THL) The 5 Star Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Re: Dorchester (THL) The 5 Star Match Thread

So we must be 5th favourite now?

With our fixture backlog only Salford, O's, Fylde and Harrogate really ahead of us.

Favourable draw please. We're last 16 now.

Wembley anyone?
john dockers shorts

ETBee wrote:I'm surprised at all the negative comments. Were people expecting us to totally dominate Dorchester and "do a Man City" on them? We controlled the game but, as I said in an earlier message, we struggle to score. Our big downfall is our hesitation near goal and reluctance to shoot even when in good positions. EMC was particularly guilty of this.

However I felt that we created more variety of movement up front than we have done in any game this season. So I'm optimistic that DC is on the right track.

Nobody has mentioned what a great game Jack Taylor had. He was everywhere, winning tackles and creating moves. Elito's game has improved no end and Sweeney continues to delight.

I also don't understand the anti Cousins brigade. Dorchester's goal wasn't his fault from what I could see - I look forward to the video. The whole defence failed to get rid of the ball and it rattled around like a pinball until it ended in the net.

So I just ask the moaners to compare today's performance with that against say Ebbsfleet and just be grateful and look forward to the good times.

Apologies for expressing my opinion on Cousins.
BeesKnees

We played nice passing football and wore them into the ground.

There was only going to be one winner and I enjoyed the game.

Jack was superb, Elliott had a good game

Cross for the second goal was fantastic.
Mikel Bee

Never in doubt. It was clear from the off that we had the quality of a team several divisions higher than Dorchester. Some of our shooting was wayward but their keeper did pull off some good saves.
Beeznizz

A game we controlled, but needed to be a more ruthless in front of goal. It was if we wanted to walk the ball into the net when there were times, we could’ve let off more shots from being in good positions. I’d also add that even though Shaq had a good game & full of running, he was guilty of being a little too greedy with team mates in better positions to score, which would’ve put the game out of sight!
There was the odd stray pass, but thought our football at times was very good to watch. Against a team like todays opponents who sit deep and play on the counter, we had to move the ball & probe for the opening & as I’ve said, when we did, should’ve been clinical to end the contest a lot earlier!
I too enjoyed the game & can clearly see the team are playing with a freedom to express themselves & progressing under DC. Give him the contract.
It’s very good to watch!

My Ratings.

Cousins.. 6...Didn’t think he was a bad as people have said & wasn’t at fault for their goal at all! Was brave to punch out a cross earlier. Distribution still needs work, but has really improved in the last few games.
Alexander.. 8...Was very good & composed, particularly, ( which I’ve not seen from him this season ) driving through the lines and linking play. Kept possession well & picked the right pass. Obviously a threat to the extent Dorchester 2nd half, put a player on to try nullify his forward runs. Starting to see how good he is.
Johnson.. 7...Solid from Elliott. Kept possession and used the ball well. Fantastic cross on the run for the 2nd goal. Good link up play with Akinola when he came on.
Sweeney.. 8... It would’ve been a 9. He was again brilliant, but was at fault for the goal. After the initial clearance, every player looked to run out of the box, leaving DS ball watching. Maybe there could’ve been a shout, but was slow getting out & lost his man, who would’ve been left offside! Consistently good!
Reynolds.. 8... Very good display. Was very assured & not really tested. His play out from the back was great and even made some driving runs forward like his central defensive partner.
Robson.. 8... Got around the pitch very well. Non stop performance in that midfield & in the right place to notch the winner.
Adams.. 8... People talk about the running of Boucard & his imposing presence, but for me in the system we play, we need a player like Adams who is in your face & physical in breaking up the play. I said in a post, that he doesn’t over complicate his passing now & today he played some delightful balls through the Dorchester defence.
Taylor.. 8... Was good at dragging their players out of position and was intelligent in his running. Chased down lost causes and more often than not came away with possession. Relishing playing the role ahead of the security he has behind him, in Adams & Robson. Not to say he doesn’t do his defensive work too. In time, he will go on to score & assist more in this system.
Elito.. 7... Wasn’t at the level of previous games, but was good. Went quiet in the second half and was rightly subbed. His corners are very good and balls whipped in good areas with quality from set pieces is something we’ve not had.
Mason-Clark.. 7... Again like Elito, wasn’t at the heights of previous performances, but was good. Young EMC has the tools to be a great player for us and is definitely going in the right direction, especially as he’s getting game time now.
Coulthirst.. 7... Shaq is getting more and more confident. His goal proved that which is brilliant news for us, but must not get carried away! There were times he could’ve been less greedy and played others in, in better positions. Gave their defence lots to think about. Pleased for him.
Akinola.. 7... Gave us more control when he came on. Going to be more influential for this team the fitter he gets.
Fonguck.. 6... Did ok when he came on.
Masuka

The biggest problem with our side is that the players don’t trust themselves enough in tbe final third. So many shooting chances go away with the fairies. Big D needs to install some self belief. Just shoot more and see what happens!! We’re a fantastic team when we play it on the floor. JUST AV A POP MATE
Once a Bee ALWAYS a Bee
john dockers shorts

ETBee wrote:I'm surprised at all the negative comments. Were people expecting us to totally dominate Dorchester and "do a Man City" on them? We controlled the game but, as I said in an earlier message, we struggle to score. Our big downfall is our hesitation near goal and reluctance to shoot even when in good positions. EMC was particularly guilty of this.

However I felt that we created more variety of movement up front than we have done in any game this season. So I'm optimistic that DC is on the right track.

Nobody has mentioned what a great game Jack Taylor had. He was everywhere, winning tackles and creating moves. Elito's game has improved no end and Sweeney continues to delight.

I also don't understand the anti Cousins brigade. Dorchester's goal wasn't his fault from what I could see - I look forward to the video. The whole defence failed to get rid of the ball and it rattled around like a pinball until it ended in the net.

So I just ask the moaners to compare today's performance with that against say Ebbsfleet and just be grateful and look forward to the good times.
Soz for sharing my opinion and you not agreeing....
becbee

BeesKnees wrote:We played nice passing football and wore them into the ground.

There was only going to be one winner and I enjoyed the game.
This.

Yesterday was always going to be a case of After the Lord Mayor's Show. But the team handled it well. It wasn't thrilling but it was never going to be. We should have won by more but we won so that's what matters.
let_it_bee

I still find it frustrating that we give the ball away too cheaply at times. Dorchester were actually better at that (i.e. protecting the ball) than we were yesterday, but fortunately they carried no threat up front.
I thought our outstanding performers were Adams and Taylor in midfield. The former still seems to be the subject of whinging from certain quarters, which I can't understand. To me he looks solid, disciplined and consistently accurate in his passing, just the type of player you need in front of the back four, and all the more effective now he has Robson alongside him. I really like this shape, which gives us a lot more attacking options than the 5 at the back under Still. Also, on the evidence of yesterday I think Akinola offers more than EMC at the moment - the latter is clearly still 'work in progress'.
As others have said, probably our biggest problem yesterday was the failure to shoot when we had half-decent openings, trying to make that extra pass or movement to create the perfect opportunity, which never came.
As regards Cousins, again I have to disagree with the criticism. True, he doesn't often come for crosses, but name me one Barnet goalkeeper in the past 30 years who was dominant in that department (Maik Taylor perhaps). Certainly not the 2 keepers we had last season, nor even legends like Stack and Harrison. You just don't see it at this level, because it's a difficult thing to do - you have to make a split second judgment, and if you get it wrong (come for the ball and don't collect) then you're castigated. I'd like to see it again, but it never occurred to me at the time that Cousins was particularly at fault for their goal yesterday - it seemed more attributable to poor marking.
Overall we did what was necessary and got the job done fairly comfortably. Just wish the chairman would now draw a line under this 'caretaker' nonsense, as Currie clearly shown that he deserves to be given the job.
becbee

Cousins isn't an outstanding goalkeeper. If he were, he'd not be playing non league football.
We have a good defence which protects Cousins a lot of the time but again, our defenders make mistakes because,again, if they didn't, they'd also not be playing non league football.
Quite possibly Cousins could have done better with the goal yesterday, the defence certainly should have. It came down to complacency and human error. But the forwards should equally have had the match sewn up at that stage anyway.
Cousins is the reason why we don't have an FA Cup replay next week.
john dockers shorts

Coming for crosses only reserved for the elite.... Do me a favour!

Akinola should be starting in its a complete no brainer.

I thought the number 7 for Dorchester was the standout player on the pitch, the pint size guy who ran the midfield
#Beebot

john dockers shorts wrote:Coming for crosses only reserved for the elite.... Do me a favour!

Akinola should be starting in its a complete no brainer.

I thought the number 7 for Dorchester was the standout player on the pitch, the pint size guy who ran the midfield
Dorchester barely had 30% possession, there is no way they ran the midfield. We did everything better than them.

I thought they were well organised and looked better than a bottom half step 3 team, but that's about it.
john dockers shorts

Ran the Dorchester midfield. He was the player I noticed the most.
barnet34

Things are on the up since DC took over, long may it continue. However our lack of goals is still holding us back from moving up to the next level. It seems everyone has had their chance except Bettemer, just 2 starts since arriving and now seemingly banished from even the bench. Something not right here.
DerekRocholl

Another enjoyable game yesterday. If we had been a bit sharper up front the gulf in class would have been more evident and I never felt the result was in doubt.

Great cross from Elliot for Robson’s goal. Would like to see him do more of that.
Last edited by DerekRocholl on 13 Jan 2019, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.