Battle of the bees - date confirmed

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoppy

Re: Battle of the bees - date confirmed

hatfieldbee wrote:AFAIK Barnet were formed 1888, one year before Brentford. They seem to have been an amalgam of a number of clubs before becoming Barnet FC in the 1920s. Brentford fans tend to call Barnet the fake Bees, but there is an argument for that being the other way round. MCB is right that the B's became the Bees, but apart from one season in the 1960s, our 1st strip colour has always been red and white stripes.Ironically that one season our 1st strip was IIRC yellow shirts with a blue diagonal band, which hither to and mosy years until recently formed the basis of our second strip.

In recent seasons there have been a variety of 2nd and, indeed, 3rd strips because of sponsorship deals on the shirts. I suspect however, that we will be in our red & white stripes for the cup tie (not that I'm ITK!).
We were forced to wear our away kit up at Sheffield, they also have red and white stripes and back shorts. Do Brentford have black shorts? I'm guessing it was because of the black shorts that the ref made us wear all blue.
hatfieldbee

Yes we historically wear black shorts. There was uproar from fans a few years ago when white shorts were proposed. Having said that, at away games, we have occasionally worn white shorts with our red & white stripes if the shorts were the only 'clash'.
ninestein

This is going to be a cracking cup tie, what are we going to do for the next 2 weeks??
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
king45bee

Must admit finding it hard to focus on non football issues. I am really not sure what would do if we get to 5th round that wait would be purgatory.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Edd1

My understanding has always been that Bees was adopted for Barnet because of the proximity of many industrial beehives to Underhill when first built in 1913. The strip changed from violet and black to amber and black as a result. Can’t remember where I picked that up from though so happy to be corrected.
hoofer2

Edd1 wrote:My understanding has always been that Bees was adopted for Barnet because of the proximity of many industrial beehives to Underhill when first built in 1913. The strip changed from violet and black to amber and black as a result. Can’t remember where I picked that up from though so happy to be corrected.
I have an on going discussion with a Brentford supporting friend. We were founded first, but Brentford adopted the Bees nickname first in 1896.

Respect your elders I'd say...
amberforever

I remember the great kit from the sixties with the black pinstripe and white shorts. Excellent!!
Reckless

Edd1 wrote:My understanding has always been that Bees was adopted for Barnet because of the proximity of many industrial beehives to Underhill when first built in 1913. The strip changed from violet and black to amber and black as a result. Can’t remember where I picked that up from though so happy to be corrected.
This is right. Researching this subject it was no co incidence that the apiarys in the Monastry now demolished just north of High Barnet were fruitful and Honey Beer or Mead was brewed in abundance hence the road Meadway running off Barnet High Street built over the Monastry grounds. There is always an explanation if you search for it!
amberforever

Is that the steep hill Medway leading from High Barnet station? I grew up near the foot of that hill and it seemed colossal on my trike! I believe there was a special bus service up and down it for a penny!? Happy days.
Psycho

Two huge positives today - we're into the last 16 of the FA Trophy without a replay.

I got my Brentford ticket after the game!

Only downer was nearly being knocked out by the match ball five mins from time - I know the stewards get a lot of stick on here but many thanks to the fella that asked if I was alright - just a bit of shock and a bump on the head!
Mikel Bee

Over 500 general sale tickets sold in the last 24 hours plus whatever South Stand and members reserved seats have been bought. Only 853 general sale seats left with over 2 weeks to go.

Wonder if we'll end up with blocks F and G if we sell out soon enough?
beew

Mikel Bee wrote:Over 500 general sale tickets sold in the last 24 hours plus whatever South Stand and members reserved seats have been bought. Only 853 general sale seats left with over 2 weeks to go.

I fully expect it to be a sell out and new attendance record. Gateshead was just over 7000?
rudebwoyben

beew wrote:
Mikel Bee wrote:Over 500 general sale tickets sold in the last 24 hours plus whatever South Stand and members reserved seats have been bought. Only 853 general sale seats left with over 2 weeks to go.

I fully expect it to be a sell out and new attendance record. Gateshead was just over 7000?
Chesterfield last year at 5539 is the ground attendance record for the Hive.
beew

rudebwoyben wrote:
beew wrote:

I’m sure Gateshead was just over 7000. I think we’ll see 7500.
becbee

beew wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:
beew wrote:

I’m sure Gateshead was just over 7000. I think we’ll see 7500.
As per Barnet Wiki page, The Hive's official capacity is 6,500, but its record attendance is 5,539, set on 5 May 2018 for the Chesterfield game.