Questions re. Brentford

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
swr22

Questions re. Brentford

Hello all!
So I am moving to Barnet with my wife at the end of January. Move in date January 25th up near the High Street. Already done a little research about going down to the Hive to watch some games when my team are playing away from home. So who do Barnet draw in the FA Cup the weekend I move in? My team, Brentford... Anyway, I know with the MA links and some pre-season games etc that Brentford are fond of Barnet although I am not sure either team is particularly chuffed with the draw because we all wanted one of the big boys.... Anyway, any questions re. the Brentford team, I'll do my best to try and answer them. Perhaps the game might also allow management to get to know each other a bit better to get some loans going between Brentford's promising B team and Barnet?
Considering Brentford's recent FA Cup form (we were pretty uninspired against Oxford), and your performance against Sheffield Utd, I expect it to be a close game.
MCB

Re: Questions re. Brentford

Hello!

You still got Josh Clarke? He was fab on loan to us.
Norfolk & Chance

After Sunday's result, you DID get one of the big boys!!

And we've probably got a few reserves we could send over to you too.

:laugh: :hi:
Mikel Bee

Potential Barnet vs Brentford B semi final in the Middlesex Senior Cup if we both get through. So if you let us through to the 5th round then we'll field a weakened team in the county cup. How does that sound?
swr22

MCB wrote:Hello!

You still got Josh Clarke? He was fab on loan to us.
We do, although he has not played much for us at all this year, and might well move on this month. He's developed a lot over the last few years, including thanks to his loan experience, but the presence of Moses Odubajo and Dalsgaard means that he is third choice at RB or right wingback and he is not one of the rotation for the wide forwards. Shame, really, as he is a decent player even at Championship level. I could see a Charlton/Gillingham or someone making a move for him and him doing really well at that level.
swr22

Mikel Bee wrote:Potential Barnet vs Brentford B semi final in the Middlesex Senior Cup if we both get through. So if you let us through to the 5th round then we'll field a weakened team in the county cup. How does that sound?
Ha! A few of the B teamers might be up for it! :D
hoppy

Brentford have an average hone attendance of 9959 yet only 6100 showed up for the FA Cup match against Oxford Utd.
Oxford generally have a good following so don't the Brentford fans rate the FA Cup as a competition?
Greville Waterman

hoppy wrote:Brentford have an average hone attendance of 9959 yet only 6100 showed up for the FA Cup match against Oxford Utd.
Oxford generally have a good following so don't the Brentford fans rate the FA Cup as a competition?
The competition has been treated with contempt by the club in recent years and half strength disinterested teams have lost at home to Brighton, Walsall and Notts County without scoring so it's not surprising that the crowd was low.

That being said we fielded a decent team against Oxford and will do the same against you too.We are having a desperate season and the FA Cup is seen as a tonic.
jerroll

Greville Waterman wrote:
hoppy wrote:Brentford have an average hone attendance of 9959 yet only 6100 showed up for the FA Cup match against Oxford Utd.
The competition has been treated with contempt by the club in recent years and half strength disinterested teams have lost at home to Brighton, Walsall and Notts County without scoring so it's not surprising that the crowd was low.

That being said we fielded a decent team against Oxford and will do the same against you too.We are having a desperate season and the FA Cup is seen as a tonic.
Is the desperate season down to losing a young progressive English manager and replacing him with some random foreigner?
Greville Waterman

jerroll wrote:
Greville Waterman wrote:

Is the desperate season down to losing a young progressive English manager and replacing him with some random foreigner?
The random foreigner has been at the club fora couple of seasons although the jury is still out on him as he seems to have arrested the rot for the time being.

The wheels were already starting to come off under Dean Smith.
Greville Waterman

jerroll wrote:
Greville Waterman wrote:

The random foreigner has been at the club for a couple of seasons although the jury is still out on him as he seems to have arrested the rot for the time being.

hoppy

Greville Waterman wrote:
jerroll wrote:
Greville Waterman wrote:

The random foreigner has been at the club for a couple of seasons although the jury is still out on him as he seems to have arrested the rot for the time being.

Some random foreigners can be,well, random!
Remember that guy we had, now what was his name? Dreadlocks and glasses. Now HE was random!
Psycho

Nathan Jones has just left Luton for Stoke City - oh what a shame! He was doing so well for them!

And Stoke's next match is away to Brentford on Saturday. Good luck with that. :whistle:
swr22

Hard to say. It is a little disappointing. I think it is a combination of the more casual fans saving their money for the bigger sides, our appalling recent FA Cup form (losing to Notts County, Walsall and Oxford in recent seasons in dismal displays), and some shaky recent form. The club lowered the prices quite a bit- I stood on the terraces for 10 quid. I think people will be more excited about the next round, though.
swr22

jerroll wrote:
Greville Waterman wrote:

It is a good question why the season has been so erratic. Partly it is down to our system of buying good young players and turning them into great young players and selling them for top value (Tarkowski, Woods, Andre Gray, Hogan etc) or putting overseas players in the shop window (Josefzoon etc). That means that our team is pretty young and prone to runs powered by confidence and then spirals where our young defenders make careless mistakes and panic feeds on itself.

A change of system from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 and a concentration on effective team pressing has made us more solid but blunted some of our attacker intent, especially as Watkins has lost form.