Seeding the FA Cup

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
bazabee

Seeding the FA Cup

From the 3rd round, 32 clubs from premiership and the championship in one hat, the rest in the other, home and away could be made alternatively,4th round top 16 seeded, 5th round top 8 seeded, 6th round back to normal the final 8 in one hat.
This would give the smaller clubs a better chance of playing the bigger teams, Barnet v Brentford, Arsenal v Man utd would not have been drawn at this stage.
Monsieur Abeille

Re: Seeding the FA Cup

But TV loves the fact that Arsenal and Man U have been drawn together, and its them that call the tune
Norfolk & Chance

Personally I don't like the idea of seeding.
The potential for a smaller club to get the quarter finals (as an example) would disappear.
Random draws are part and parcel of the fa cup fun and is where legendary cup runs are born.
rudebwoyben

Norfolk & Chance wrote:Personally I don't like the idea of seeding.
The potential for a smaller club to get the quarter finals (as an example) would disappear.
Random draws are part and parcel of the fa cup fun and is where legendary cup runs are born.
My thoughts exactly.
Edd1

No!

If anything we need to stop dicking around with the cup and go back to basics. Straight forward knock out and reintroduce replays at all rounds.

Part of the joy of the cup is the total randomness of it. If the right teams get drawn against each other things like Wycombe getting to the semi final happen.

Keep it simple.
ninestein

I agree, let's not over-complicate it.
We all felt a little bit disheartened when last night's draw panned out. If the ex-Wolves keeper had hesitated and pulled out any other ball, we'd be in dreamland about to face a Premier League side, but he didn't.
As hard as it was to watch it unfold, we have to accept the draw we've been given and embrace it. I'm the first to say that we get shocking draws, but it's the way the cup has always been. If anything, I thought it was a shame when they started seeding the league cup 1st round. We had some easy 1st round ties against the likes of Exeter and Orient in years gone by, and it made it more likely we'd face a top team in round two.

But as far as the FA cup is concerned...

Kidderminster reaching round 5 as a non league club in 1993.
Chesterfield reaching the semi final in 1997 against Middlesbrough (and being cheated by that disallowed goal... where was VAR?)
Wycombe Wanderers away to Leicester and Roy Essandoh scoring the winner, sorry Lawrie being sent to the stands just prior.
Lincoln City's run as a non league club to the quarter finals only two years ago

All these events would probably not have happened if the ties had been seeded at round 3 onwards.

Barnet to reach round 5 as a non-league club in 2019.....? We could still add that to the list. It would go down in FA cup folklore.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
ccollis_869

Nothing less exciting then a pointless complicated draw. You could get Liverpool you could get Woking, that’s the beauty
DerekRocholl

It didn't take much to get over the disappointment. It quickly became apparent that if we want a good chance of making further progress in the competition whilst also enjoying what should be a sell out game at the Hive this was probably one of the best outcomes we could have had from last night's draw.

Leave seeding to the garden. The FA Cup doesn't need anymore tweaks.
becbee

Seeding wouldn't have guaranteed us a Prem club, let alone one of the Top 6. Without seeding we've drawn 2 Championship sides, that might well have happened with seeding anyway.
Psycho

Leave seeding to a pretty filly that will balance 20 tasks at once and love you despite all your faults. :kiss:
shankbee01

Norfolk & Chance wrote:Personally I don't like the idea of seeding.
Agree entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barnetjohn

This poses some interesting statistical issues.

If you seed the draw, you increase on average the ranking gap between the two teams in a tie. (Currently, Liverpool can get any of the 63 other teams, under seeding, they'd be guaranteed to play someone 33rd or lower in the third round).

So you'd increase the number of David v Goliath matches. And you'd increase the chance that Barnet or other minnow draw a top team. And simply because the number of David v Goliath matches increased, you'd expect to see more giantkillings (total number per round).

But the flip side is that the tournament as a whole would become more predictable- the very top sides would face lower ranked teams on average than they do now at each and every round. So you'd be more likely to get the same few big teams in the last four every year, which would make it less fun as a tournament.

Plus, seeding would take away some of the drama and excitement of the draw itself.