Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
pletch99

Re: Top 1 out of 91 Players of All Time - Your Winner Is...

Moonchild_Bee wrote:
Golf Delta wrote:I think this highlights perfectly the average age of voters here... :unsure:
But at the end (correct me if i'm wrong) we had a midfield of Puncheon - Bishop - Wright - Adomah.

That's a midfield that compares favourably with Showler - Lowe - Payne / Wilson - Willis.
While I agree, that's probably the best midfield we've had in the last ten years I'm not sure any of them would get into that 1992 era midfield. While Puncheon had games where he was just unstoppable, he also disappeared from games far too often and his service for others was somewhat lacking. The thing I really remember about Showler is his just uncanny ability to deliver the ball to whereever Spike or Bully were.

I might pick Adomah ahead of Harry, but they were very different players - Harry was a much more rounded player, less spectacular perhaps, but I much more consistent goal scoring record.

I think that Puncheon being number 1 actaully says more about how he stood out in a relatively poor team where thise voting for members of the 1990-1992 team was clearly split between several really good players.

I also think it remains to be seen how good a player Puncheon actually is. He's now been at several clubs since he left us and he has yet to establish himself as a regular for more than a few months at any of them. Certainly not short on talent, but there must be a reason why he keeps moving on.

Finally - would it be possible to post the full list
ricardobee

Well done Moonchild for all your efforts in compiling this list, you'll never please everybody, the older ones would have gone for players from the Dextar Adams or Barry Fry teams, while anybody who started supporting the Bees in the last 10 to 15 years would have gone for Puncheon, Bailey or Adomah. All good players, who've gone on to greater things, but it's a great shame our present day Bees fans never had the opportunity to see the Eason's, Powell's, Lowe's, Bull's etc. etc. of great Barnet teams.
b4life

Jason Puncheon can be No 1 favourite player or the No 1 best player, but there is only ONE TRUE GOD - Nicky Evans.
Repent now unbelievers!
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
becbee

I voted for Punch in my top ten but I do find it hard to see how he came 1st when Albert only came 10th.
essexbee

... and Linvoy Primus
John_c

b4life wrote:Jason Puncheon can be No 1 favourite player or the No 1 best player, but there is only ONE TRUE GOD - Nicky Evans.
Repent now unbelievers!
Amen brother. :hi:
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
WinchyBee

Just told Punch via twitter. Seemed pretty happy about it!

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonpunch
Moonchild_Bee

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 91-11

Moonchild_Bee

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - The Top 10!

Mikel Bee

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

Puncheon was a truly stunning player to watch and got my number 1 vote. The bloke oozed flair and I'd say is still a class above anyone else I've ever seen in a bees shirt.

I'll never forget the goal he scored against Colchester to send us into the FA Cup 4th round for the first time in our history. After trailing 1-0 at half time, Yakubu equalised on 65' and with 10 minutes remaining, Puncheon launched a belter from some way out into the top of the net. The place went utterly berserk. If anyone has a video of that goal please post it up here.
raficooper

This is a travesty! Puncheon was quality in bursts, but so often looked disinterested. Currie, Showler, Adomah even Richard Graham (in the Conference) put him to shame.

I guess is depends on definition of 'top'. Hard to look past Gary Phillips as an all-round club legend. Same with Graz.

I'd always put genuine affinity for the club above on-off talent.
_ABeeSee_

We seem to have had a mad moment and forgotten Mark Gower.

I never got around to voting for this, unfortunately, but he was one of the people that sprang to mind when I was thinking about it.

Am I remembering him to be better than he was, simply because of the way he's playing now? The way things are going he could become one of the most famous of our exports!
We're gonna piss this tin pot league
Moonchild_Bee

pletch99 wrote:
Finally - would it be possible to post the full list
See page 1 of this thread now has the full list.

And yes, Mark Gower, hasn't he done well for himself. Wouldn't have made my Top 50 though, it just never really worked for him here, although he had his moments. One of my friends would have voted for him for being the first Bees scorer he saw (vs daggers at home in Conference - long range free kick?)