Port Vale (Hive) The Possibly Damned but United Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Jon83

Re: Port Vale (Hive) The Possibly Damned but United Thread

"I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight was dreadful. This season has been dreadful. So MANY mistakes have been made by TK, managers and players and the result is this. A 1-1 draw in a 'must win' game. The players are NOT GOOD ENOUGH to stay in this league. They are not good enough because they make too many mistakes. From goalkeeping errors, to defenders giving away penalties, to midfielders giving away passes that lead to opposition goals and to strikers that miss guilt edge chances. The chairman for allowing the farcical situation of Eames/Newman, Nugent, Eames, McGhee (Christ he was bad!) & now GW. McGhee and Eames were having a coffee/beer in the bar before the game.....

Tonight - a shame for the GK but that's what you get with young GKs. It's his first professional games - he'll make mistakes. The defence was generally ok but from then on... well.... not a lot! They all work hard, they all carry out the managers instructions but the bottom line - they are not good enough.

I think GW has generally done ok but tonight... he mucked up big time. Those substitutions... deary me. Nicholson is not good enough for this level and Briggs.... is he a footballer?

We're done for. National League next season. Who's going? Under 1k home fans tonight... the football club is in decline.
#Beebot

SudburyBee wrote:Absolute rubbish
Sadly the players bottled it , no effort no passion and when we expected them to bombard a poor port vale team ,they passed sidewards backwards anywhere but forward .. Akinde must be injured because he looked totally uninterested , Bover is lightweight , sweeney was falling over the ball and Legg in goal was a nightmare at times arguing with his defence ...
It was a sad performance summed up by Westley taking off the only threat we had in Shomotun and bringing on Briggs who must have been part of a joke bet between the squad ...
Totally disagree that Akinde looked uninterested. If anything he's trying too hard to score and there were moments when he needed to calm down and use the options around him rather than taking wild potshots that were never going to beat the first man.

I maintain that he's looking slower since his injury and that's had a serious impact on his game as his pace was so vital to so many of his goals.

I sincerely believe his days as a prolific goalscorer at this level may be behind him now. He's still useful at this level, but he may need to mould himself into a different type of player.

We needed Shaq badly today. I'm still in shock at the subs - absolute madness.
Nudger70

Felt sorry for Shomotun he was hanging out on the wings looking for service there was just high balls at Akinde. Port Vale centre backs must have neck ache after that match.
#Beebot

Nudger70 wrote:Felt sorry for Shomotun he was hanging out on the wings looking for service there was just high balls at Akinde. Port Vale centre backs must have neck ache after that match.
I thought he played well when he did get the ball and certainly did enough today to cement his place in the squad over Nicholson who was totally ineffective.
LeftSideRun

#Beebot wrote:
An object lesson in how to ruin your team's chances with substitutions. Appalling from Westley. Briggs totally unsuitable for a left wing role - he's very much a full back, not a wing back.
Your whole post was spot on Beebot but this is where we gave up the win, for me.

Shomotun was anonymous in the first half but, after their goal, became the out ball we needed. Finally had the beating of his man, almost at will and was putting over good crosses. So what does Westley do? Subs him off. For Nicholson! Shaq or JLAA should've been on with half an hour to go for Bover, who wasn't in the game enough. That would've given us impetus. The subs Westley made handed the initiative back to Port Vale just as we were finally building up a head of steam.

What the fuck was he thinking with those subs?! Briggs on the left wing?! No target man until JLAA came on. Nothing on the flanks when we were starting to move the ball to the wings well.

Westley should explain his thinking. Taylor, Brindley (Mauro could've been pushed forward) and Shaq all unused. A joke.
letchbee94

Mikel Bee wrote:Vale look like the worst side we've played since Morecambe. We still need another goal if legs in the second half.
Considering they had not won in 10 games they looked a decent team even after we took the lead.
Maybe that just shows how poor we are and why we have no chance of staying up.
becbee

Port Vale were abysmal, certainly the worst team we've played this season. We were no better. Probably a poor advert for National South, let alone L2.
Wycombe will provide a far sterner test on Saturday.
Roll on next season. Maybe we might beat Barrow, Maidenhead etc?
rudebwoyben

letchbee94 wrote:
Mikel Bee wrote:Vale look like the worst side we've played since Morecambe. We still need another goal if legs in the second half.
Considering they had not won in 10 games they looked a decent team even after we took the lead.
No they did not. Their pattern of play was just as haphazard and error-strewn as ours.
hoofer2

bigjohnakinde wrote:The substitutions were baffling. Takes off our best player and most potent goalscorer. Replaces him with a lightweight anonymous midfielder, a left back just signed on non contract terms and a woeful centre forward who's just come back from injury.

We HAD to win that game. We had to throw everything forward and get the win to keep any chance of survival possible.

I have been impressed with Westley since he has joined but I cannot understand those substitutions.

However, in reality, after an awful season all round - the players have been dreadful throughout and the blame must lie with them for our dismal relegation-doomed campaign,
Therein lies the problem. He is not our most potent goalscorer this season. Nicholls has shown more these past few games
amberforever

Standard of skill out there tonight.... un-believable, standard of players brought in the transfer window.....un-believable, how the club is run from top to bottom....un-believable, with such farce this season we are going down....very believable

Edit: Have to say Nicholls was a credit to the club tonight, ran his socks off with bags of skill and our goal MOM.
Last edited by amberforever on 14 Mar 2018, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
ninestein

What a shame. We started off so well. Got on the front foot. John's tenacity down the left made the chance for Watson to let fly. The ball comes off the bar and Nicholls is there to poach another goal. After that, i just don't think we took the game to them enough. That should have set the tone for an adrenalin-filled first half with a determination to get that second goal. But we never even tested the keeper aftwrwards.

I can see us putting a shift in right to the last game, but i fear those extra 2 games played are going to prove the step too far.

We simply lack quality in our attacking play. Our top forward has lost a yard of pace and isn't getting enough chances to score. Port Vale were narrow around their own box and shut us out. Guess what? Morecambe, Crewe and FGR will all come here and do the same. The only way to break them down is to deliver quality from wide areas and have both forwards in the middle.

There were no boos at the final whistle. I think everyone was too busy laughing at Briggs tripping over his foot when trying to cross the ball. Imagine Frazer Toms attempting a rabona and you get the idea...

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this though. Too many other things going on in life. Relegation is now expected in the coming weeks. It won't be a last day drama like last time. If anything I can see that final game being a dead rubber.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
letchbee94

rudebwoyben wrote:
letchbee94 wrote:
No they did not. Their pattern of play was just as haphazard and error-strewn as ours.
Like I said maybe it shows how poor we are then.
ninestein

Both teams were poor tonight. But the difference is that their point moved them up 4 places in the table. We moved up 1 but are effectively still a run of 3 wins from safety.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
amberforever

Still cant believe we blew that big time.
letchbee94

ninestein wrote:Both teams were poor tonight. But the difference is that their point moved them up 4 places in the table. We moved up 1 but are effectively still a run of 3 wins from safety.
IMO Port vale looked the better of the poor teams though even though they have not won a game in 2018 (even we have won 2)
Fair play to them though for not dropping their heads after conceding so early, I agree with GW that they wont be going down.