Barnet Quarter Season Review

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
d3d4

Barnet Quarter Season Review

Hi guys,

With around 1/4 of the season gone I have had a look back at how the Bees have competed so far http://d3d4football.com/barnet-fc-quart ... on-review/

Please leave your comments at the bottom of the page and if you would like to contribute to D3D4 as a Barnet fan then please get in touch.

thanks
James
D3D4
Bee_Forever

Re: Barnet Quarter Season Review

I apologise, I know I should let this nonsense drift in to messageboard oblivion, but I just can't help it when articles are this badly informed.

"Barnet started the season with high expectations"

No, we didn't.

"another fine display saw them somehow lose 1-0 against rivals Stevenage"

Our own manager acknowledged we were dreadful that day. Stevenage are not our rivals.

"you feel that this Bees side, when fit, could really be a challenger in League Two"

Based on what? Our finishing 15th last season, or a couple of decent performances this term?

"Jamal Campbell-Ryce has belied his years and adapted his game to be a key player so far this season. It was his determination and leadership qualities that sparked the fight back at Forest Green on the opening day and he has been fulcrum in the midfield"
"
Out injured in the last game, and his influence has waned in weeks. The catalyst for our change versus Forest Green was not JCR but the change in personnel and formation at half time.

I wish I knew what team you supported so I could make ill informed judgements having not watched a game.
Norfolkbee

Bee_Forever wrote:I apologise, I know I should let this nonsense drift in to messageboard oblivion, but I just can't help it when articles are this badly informed.

No, we didn't.

Our own manager acknowledged we were dreadful that day. Stevenage are not our rivals.

"you feel that this Bees side, when fit, could really be a challenger in League Two"

Based on what? Our finishing 15th last season, or a couple of decent performances this term?

"Jamal Campbell-Ryce has belied his years and adapted his game to be a key player so far this season. It was his determination and leadership qualities that sparked the fight back at Forest Green on the opening day and he has been fulcrum in the midfield"
"
Out injured in the last game, and his influence has waned in weeks. The catalyst for our change versus Forest Green was not JCR but the change in personnel and formation at half time.

I wish I knew what team you supported so I could make ill informed judgements having not watched a game.
I think the "high expectations" were propagated by remarks, misconstrued or otherwise, by our own chairman during the pre-season. The bit about having a fully-fit squad to choose from, well who knows?
RichardM

I don't bother to read this sort of rubbish.
eastbarnetsupporter

Bee_Forever wrote:I apologise, I know I should let this nonsense drift in to messageboard oblivion, but I just can't help it when articles are this badly informed.

No, we didn't.

"

If you was a Barnet fan you would know that Stevenage are in fact our rivals.
Norfolkbee

As somebody who enjoyed a career of more than 40 years in journalism - including several in a training capacity - could I congratulate the lads running this podcast on their efforts. There are always people ready to disagree whenever football is commented upon - and quite rightly so. As the saying goes: "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
Looking at what was written, much of it appears to be derived from common knowledge or from this message board (i.e. the views of our own fans). If people want to express their own views or give their own account of the season, there is an open invitation to do so on their website.
Is it really necessary to attempt to stifle their journalistic aspirations by simply using nebulous words like "rubbish"? I don't think so.
I was lucky to get my break with the Barnet Press Group back in 1969, but the route into the media is a lot more competitive these day (unless your dad works in broadcasting). So please cut these lads some slack and give them decent feedback, which doesn't mean you have to agree with everything, simply be constructive and, above all, courteous. Who knows? You could be dealing with the next Henry Winter or Motty.
jamiefrbees

hear hear

Sadly, it's a typically British trait to rubbish anyone making any real effort to achieve something in life.
beew

They're looking for a Barnet fan to become their correspondent. Until this happens they should refrain from publishing misinformed articles. It's just lazy journalism and has no value IMO.
RichardM

beew wrote:They're looking for a Barnet fan to become their correspondent. Until this happens they should refrain from publishing misinformed articles. It's just lazy journalism and has no value IMO.
Exactly my point.
MCB

At the same time I think the podcasts / vlogs / blogs that have sprung up from Barnet fans this season have been great :ohlord:
LoudmouthBFC

MCB wrote:At the same time I think the podcasts / vlogs / blogs that have sprung up from Barnet fans this season have been great :ohlord:

Make sure you subscribe :laugh:
Norfolkbee

jamiefrbees wrote:hear hear

Sadly, it's a typically British trait to rubbish anyone making any real effort to achieve something in life.
Spot on. Exactly how many national sports journalists are an expert on every club? Having a fan writing on the club is all well and good providing it is objective. It seems the slightest criticism/negativity about a club can rattle certain people's cages. Call me old fashioned, but I will defend neutral and unbiased journalism any time, even where Barnet FC are concerned. Press and media people are paid by the club to do that.
beew

Norfolkbee wrote:

Spot on. Exactly how many national sports journalists are an expert on every club? Having a fan writing on the club is all well and good providing it is objective. It seems the slightest criticism/negativity about a club can rattle certain people's cages. Call me old fashioned, but I will defend neutral and unbiased journalism any time, even where Barnet FC are concerned. Press and media people are paid by the club to do that.
If you had printed an article on our recent Cambridge fixture with the following text, your days at the Barnet press would of been limited.

"Forde was first called into action by Jamal Campbell-Ryce, who saw his shot parried away having been played through by Coulthirst, who had won the ball after chasing down a poor clearance from U’s defender Greg Taylor. Campbell-Ryce again caused problems, this time down the right hand side, and after turning the Cambridge defender inside out, he floated a delightful cross in towards Ruben Bover, whose header looked destined for goal, only for Forde to get down well to turn it round the post.

However, Forde could only keep the home side out for so long, and it was in the 40th minute of the game when Barnet deservedly broke the deadlock through the lively Mauro Vilhete. Bover took the ball to the touchline, before a clever move between Campbell-Ryce and Coulthirst saw the latter float the ball into the path of Vilhete, who found himself unmarked on the edge of the six-yard line, to guide a header past Forde, and put the home side in front going into the break".

Bover was an unused substitute in the game, yet according to these guys he created a goal and had another attempt saved. It's lazy journalism and shows a complete lack of professionalism. Why should they be taken seriously when they can't be bothered to actually check who played on the day?
shankbee01

beew wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:

If you had printed an article on our recent Cambridge fixture with the following text, your days at the Barnet press would of been limited.

"Forde was first called into action by Jamal Campbell-Ryce, who saw his shot parried away having been played through by Coulthirst, who had won the ball after chasing down a poor clearance from U’s defender Greg Taylor. Campbell-Ryce again caused problems, this time down the right hand side, and after turning the Cambridge defender inside out, he floated a delightful cross in towards Ruben Bover, whose header looked destined for goal, only for Forde to get down well to turn it round the post.

However, Forde could only keep the home side out for so long, and it was in the 40th minute of the game when Barnet deservedly broke the deadlock through the lively Mauro Vilhete. Bover took the ball to the touchline, before a clever move between Campbell-Ryce and Coulthirst saw the latter float the ball into the path of Vilhete, who found himself unmarked on the edge of the six-yard line, to guide a header past Forde, and put the home side in front going into the break".

Bover was an unused substitute in the game, yet according to these guys he created a goal and had another attempt saved. It's lazy journalism and shows a complete lack of professionalism. Why should they be taken seriously when they can't be bothered to actually check who played on the day?
Whilst time at Barnet press might have been limited, a career in BBC live text updates would have been nailed on.

Well done to the guys doing this. It's good giving exposure to the lower leagues. I'm off to Toronto for work tomorrow so will download and have a listen whilst travelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk