All time Barnet XI

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jdmckbee

Re: All time Barnet XI

WinchyBee wrote:Regardless of age or time spent watching Barnet, anyone who doesn't put John Akinde in their team is SILLY.
Agree that big John is great, but not sure how he would get in the starting XI ahead of Freedman, Bull, Eason, Evans and Graz. Place on the bench for him I think, and probably coming on to roll in a late winning penalty.
We're the West Bank Underhill......
becbee

If we compare Graz v Akinde in the Conference, then I think there's little to chose between them. Graz v Akinde in L2, there's no contest.
jdmckbee

If using that comparison as an argument (ie non-league v L2 stats) then you are implying that we shouldn't be able to pick any strikers from the non league days. That would include many a fine striker.
We're the West Bank Underhill......
tpBEE

Mine would be starting from 2003/04 season, as despite my first game beeing about 98, my first FULL season was 2003/04

Harrison

Yids
King
Yak
EJ

Adomah
Baily
Sinclair
Puncheon

Graz
Akinde

Subs
Stack
Holmes
Gillet
Bolasie
Graham
Currie
O'flynn

Notable Mentions

Michael Hector - probably one of the most talented young footballers to player for us over the past few years
Luisma - very talented and enjoyable to watch
Mark Hughes - great passion and held the team together for a number of years
becbee

jdmckbee wrote:If using that comparison as an argument (ie non-league v L2 stats) then you are implying that we shouldn't be able to pick any strikers from the non league days. That would include many a fine striker.
We have no idea how some of the players from the non-league days would have performed had we been in the FL in their day. Just as some players who have only played in our league days maybe would have looked better had we been non-league at the time. Those things are unprovable.

However in the case of Graz v Akinde, we have 2 players who played for us both in non-league and L2 so we can compare them.
WinchyBee

Hard to balance a team with so many attacking players being deemed as more important or simply standing out more but I'd go for something like this. Positions are not necessarily the same positions that they played in whilst at Barnet.

Harrison
YiadomHendon Heald King
Adomah
john dockers shorts

Just checking that this is for fun?

That there are no right or wrong teams?

And if you only supported the bees since 2013 then its okay to put Jake Hyde in as well!
LoudmouthBFC

john dockers shorts wrote:Just checking that this is for fun?

And if you only supported the bees since 2013 then its okay to put Jake Hyde in as well!

Yeah should only be a bit of fun, it's that persons opinion
Psycho

Forgot how good Mark Carter was until I watched the 1991/92 video last night. What a great natural finisher Spike was.

I do remember a few years later he scored for Bury against Barnet at Gigg Lane in 1995 to almost kill off our play-off chances. Heartbreaking. :bash:
pgbee

john dockers shorts wrote:Just checking that this is for fun?

Or Collins John if you've only supported since 2012..
EastBarnetBee

I started following Barnet properly from the 2003/04 season. In a nutshell:

Stack

Hendon
Stephens
Yakubu
Johnson

Puncheon
Bailey
Adomah

Grazioli
Akinde
McLeod
eastbarnetsupporter

It's a shame that Grazioli didn't manage L2 in the same way that Akinde has. His injuries hampered his form and then it was all downhill from then.
pauln50

An impossible task but I will have a go, apologies for the attacking tactics but in the Barry Fry mould you only have to score one more than the opposition.
Johnny Barr.
Ian Hendon.
Geoff Cooper.
Kenny Lowe.
Gerry Ward.
Luisma Villa.
Les Eason.
Mark Carter.
John Akinde.
Gary Bull.
Reg Finch.
Subs.
Maik Taylor
Kenny Gillet.
Paul Showler.
Liam Hatch.
Roger Figg.
Colin Powell.
Dougie Freedman.
Many apologies to the legends I could not fit in!
EastBarnetBee

One player that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned but could be deserving of a place based on legendary status is Edgar Davids. I know he wasn't perfect but the energy he created around the club and on the pitch was outstanding. He almost kept us up!
hoofer2

eastbarnetsupporter wrote:It's a shame that Grazioli didn't manage L2 in the same way that Akinde has. His injuries hampered his form and then it was all downhill from then.
It was the decision to switch to lone striker that did Graz. I still believe he would have made more of an impact on League 2 if we had retained
the winning 4-4-2 formula.

Oh well...