Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
becbee

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 20-11

How can Simon King only be 19th?
jerroll

I would guess the majority of the top 10 will be goalscorers
Moonchild_Bee

jerroll wrote:I would guess the majority of the top 10 will be goalscorers
4 strikers, 3 wingers, 2 central midfielders, 1 defender, and a partridge in a pear tree... all will be revealed next week!

I'm impressed to see Andy Clarke, Colin Powell, and Les Eason in the top 20, all before my time though Reckless, and for the latter two, well before that of Nicky 'No. 11' Evans.
ape1968

I'm just coming to terms with Diego Maracodner not makng the top 10 - but Linvoy and Lee Harrison also outside it.....surely not...will look forward to seeing who is.

Echo the thanks to you for doing this....
"The feeling of stepping out for Barnet for the first time was the same as a Champions League match. It is just joy"

Edgar Davids
essexbee

Compare those players to the shower we have now and you begin to realise that we do not have anywhere near a good enough team.
BEEGONE

Paul Wilson below Simon King is wrong on so many levels.
djhdjh

essexbee wrote:Compare those players to the shower we have now and you begin to realise that we do not have anywhere near a good enough team.
To be fair if you made a team of Barnet's best ever players (and probably any club that's been in the league a few years at this level) they would happily take on the Championship.

Seems very much to be the guys who are clearly some of the greats but not enough have seen them - if I'd been allowed to pick players I hadn't seen a few of them would have been on there. Les Eason scored 348 goals in 650 games for us. That's just ridiculous.
Matlockbee

OK, so memory does strange things, but Paddy Powell skinning defenders getting to the byline and slinging a cross over for Les Eason to put it away was what made me a Barnet fan, and I still think was the most exciting thing I've seen at Underhill.
Golf Delta

Matlockbee wrote:OK, so memory does strange things, but Paddy Powell skinning defenders getting to the byline and slinging a cross over for Les Eason to put it away was what made me a Barnet fan, and I still think was the most exciting thing I've seen at Underhill.
The same for me too. I first started going to Underhill in 1970 as an 8 year old and for the next three years or so, watching the likes of Paddy Powell, Les Eason, Billy Meadows and Gerry Ward made the most lasting impression on me. Losing 3-0 to Stafford in the FAT final at Wembley in 72 didn't mean a thing to me then. I was ten, I was watching Barnet at Wembley, it wasn't a matter of life or death to a ten year old.

As you grow older, you become more analytical of the game and the players, but in those days, I couldn't care less, I was just in awe of these true legends and maybe with the exception of Kenny Lowe and Bully, I can't say I've ever been in awe of anyone at Underhill as much as I was then.

I think a lot of fans top ten lists will be based on perception and age. We are at our most impressionable at younger ages.
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
Reckless

We are at our most impressionable at younger ages. I would agree normally but I was 22 and a married man when Nicky joined Barnet!
kingoffootball

jerroll wrote:Can't wait to see how high Fraser Toms finished
He's one above 1st (0th).
Three-time Conference champions
essexbee

djhdjh wrote:
essexbee wrote:Compare those players to the shower we have now and you begin to realise that we do not have anywhere near a good enough team.
To be fair if you made a team of Barnet's best ever players (and probably any club that's been in the league a few years at this level) they would happily take on the Championship.

Seems very much to be the guys who are clearly some of the greats but not enough have seen them - if I'd been allowed to pick players I hadn't seen a few of them would have been on there. Les Eason scored 348 goals in 650 games for us. That's just ridiculous.

The point is; we no longer seem to have those kind of players. I'd love to have seen what progress the side promoted to the old div 3 would've done had they not all been disbanded.
Golf Delta

Reckless wrote:We are at our most impressionable at younger ages. I would agree normally but I was 22 and a married man when Nicky joined Barnet!
That's an unhealthy infatuation Tony, nothing like a ten year old boy in awe of his hero!
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
djhdjh

essexbee wrote:
djhdjh wrote:

The point is; we no longer seem to have those kind of players. I'd love to have seen what progress the side promoted to the old div 3 would've done had they not all been disbanded.
Yes but the players on such lists are scattered across a 40 year period. Of course 5 of those 10 I think would have played together at one time but that was the greatest era in the club's history - a unique one in that it took us to the 3rd tier. If you expect every Barnet team to be that good you will be disappointed.

We've had some cracking players here in the last few years who would have graced any Barnet side, we've even got 2 or 3 at the moment I reckon. The team as a whole hasn't and isn't living up to that. That's the problem, not a lack of stars.
Jimbokav1971

djhdjh wrote:We've had some cracking players here in the last few years who would have graced any Barnet side, we've even got 2 or 3 at the moment I reckon. The team as a whole hasn't and isn't living up to that. That's the problem, not a lack of stars.
Would you mind naming these 2 or 3 players who would have graced any Barnet side please.

We have some decent players, but 3 who would grace any Barnet side?

There is nobody at the club anywhere near the level of the likes of NB, Punch, Albert or even Bishop, (never mind about the guys from further back).
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"