Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
rudebwoyben

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 40-31

I just get the feeling that Marlon King got into that list more for what he did on the football pitch after he left us than for what he did for us. As I remember, his talent was obvious but quite unfocused. And his personality flaws were already obvious in his developing years.

Mark Carter didn't start off very well for us but eventually scored for us in a showdown 3-1 win at Keterring after Kenny Lowe deceived the Poppies' defence with a Cruyff-esque turn. However, his most important contribution for us in our title winning year was when we managed to win the penalty against Welling Utd, which Gary Bull slotted home to ensure we won 3-2 and gained 3 vital points that put the pressure on Alty. After that, he never looked back. I was there for both of the matches that Moonchildbee mentioned; unfortunately not on the terraces for the Charlton match.

Bobby Brown played for Northampton Town in their one season in the top flight in 65/66, I remember reading.
letchbee94

jerroll wrote:'I still do have flashbacks to some of his sliding tackles: tended to be telegraphed, on wet pitches, with two feet and studs showing and typically he launch himself into them at least 10 metres before making contact with his intended targets ankles. Yet I can't remember him being sent off. '

He was sent off twice in the 1997/8 season, 1st time for a two footed lunge against Watford in the HSC (by premier ref Mark Halsey!) and against his former club Mansfield right at the end of the season causing him to miss the start of the 98/9 season along with Sean Devine who was sent off against col u
I cannot remember things like this from back then, so how many games was his suspended from?

Because we had Rochdale the following week and then Colchester in the 2 play off games.
jerroll

Bans didn't kickin for 10 days back then think he missed both playoff legs plus 1st 2 the following season(4 games as already sent off that season, may have got an extra ban 4 some reason as mansfield s/o was for professional foul)
letchbee94

Ok cheers John
tringthing

Marlon King at 39???? Are we being serious?

Yes he went on to great things including a stint in the Premiership, but while he was with us he was the most average, lazy, obnoxious player ever to don the black and amber. With his attitude whilst with us, I have to say I wasn't surprised when he got put inside.
Jimbokav1971

Nice to see Joe D get a mention.

I know he was with us for a while, but there was always something extra about him being in the squad simply because he came through the club. It's something that is missing at the moment with Vilhete only on the fringes. Not quite the same since Yaks left and now Joe D too.

:(
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
Moonchild_Bee

tringthing wrote:Marlon King at 39???? Are we being serious?

Yes he went on to great things including a stint in the Premiership, but while he was with us he was the most average, lazy, obnoxious player ever to don the black and amber. With his attitude whilst with us, I have to say I wasn't surprised when he got put inside.
I didn't vote for him. But if you were a young bee, who never came across, or spoke to him, and only saw his goals, and brief period when he could be bothered, and that game against Peterborough, then perhaps I can understand.

But, hands up all those Barnet that Marlon was rude to, swore at or took the piss pit of? I've remember a couple of people who have a tale to tell about Marlon's attitude to young fans whilst out and about in his automobile....
rudebwoyben

tringthing wrote:Marlon King at 39???? Are we being serious?

You just said what I said but in a less diplomatic way :laugh:
Moonchild_Bee

Top 91 Players of All Time - 30-21

The countdown continues, hopefully imbued by positivity of a Barnet win in the background, hordes of merry fans returning from drinking establishments in happy moods ready to add their tuppences, and the inevitable whinging from those who make it back from a reported Old Folks Home Day Out at Underhill wondering why there was no-one on the list from the 1930's.

29) Gary Breen
29) Kevin Millet
28) Robert Codner
27) Jack McLelland
26) Jimmy Greaves
25) Izale McLeod
24) John Margerrison
23) Liam Hatch
22) Maik Taylor
21) Ismail Yakubu

Mcleod, Greaves and Hatch - what an attacking triplet that would make! Needless to say that Izale is the highest rates of the current team / squad in the list.

So, any surprises here?
MajorBrownEye

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 30-21

Only the spelling of Yakabu's first name! Is that some sort of new fangled food? Or did you leave off the F?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Moonchild_Bee

MajorBrownEye wrote:Only the spelling of Yakabu's first name! Is that some sort of new fangled food? Or did you leave off the F?
Ah, sorry! In my defence it's taken directly from someone elses spelling!

This came up when I quickly googled his spelling. Also remember seeing him play for Arsenal (was it in Hong Kong?). Can't help feel he never reached the heights he should have could have - partly due to injuries.

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/sh ... t-prospect
Pushkin

Robert Codner?!!
Moonchild_Bee

Pushkin wrote:Robert Codner?!!
Nope, I definitely spelt that right!

If it clears things up, one person did specify 'his first spell only'.
torontobee

"Diego Mara-Codner" as he was known in the song of the time. Not one of my votes, but a very good player indeed on his day.

Kevin Millett and Johnny Marge up there - memories of SO many trips in the 1980s to far-flung spots all over England and Wales. Number 6 Margerrison spreading pinpoint passes all over the place from the centre of the field, and number 4 Millett a rock at the back.

Apart from that nightmare game at Lincoln in 1988 (well worth looking up Millett's account of it on the Reckless interview) I always remember a game at Kettering in about 1983, where after an horrendous two-footed tackle on him, Kevin struggled up and reached into his sock. He pulled out his shin pad - but just the TOP HALF. The tackle had literally snapped it in two! The incredulous smile on his face (thank goodness he was wearing the shin pads) has stayed with me for almost 30 years.

Was a real shame they both didn't go into the League with the Bees. Lincoln where they belong now.
torontobee

Jimmy Greaves scored 25 goals from attacking midfield in 1977-78. A different class, obviously, even as he was recovering from alcoholism. Story of one game at Yeovil where some stitches came open and the pills inserted into his stomach to stop him drinking started popping out, and he had to come off.

I still remember some of the goals he scored - a long range strike in an 1-0 win in an FAC 4Q game at Edgware (RIP) sticks in the mind.

And he apparently corrects people when introduced at after-dinner events - making sure that Barnet are listed as one of the clubs he played for, along with Chelsea, West Ham and Spurs. Good man!