Shark attack

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
BeesKnees

Re: Shark attack

So a steward gives evidence he was hit and a policeman gives evidence to say the Grimsby fan was aggressive.

As for evidence, this is from the court.

"Proceedings were then further delayed when the court was informed that the arresting officer had come to court with previously undisclosed CCTV evidence. This meant legal argument as to whether or not it could be shown and another adjournment while the magistrates decided. Eventually the court heard the case at 1.30pm and Magistrates returned with their verdict after 5.00pm"
miguelito

There's an opportunity for a movie tie-in with Sacha Baron Cohen & the SyFy Channel: MegaShark vs Grimsby.
"Oh my god, he's attacking them!"
Norfolkbee

BarnetSteve wrote:So a steward gives evidence he was hit and a policeman gives evidence to say the Grimsby fan was aggressive.

"Proceedings were then further delayed when the court was informed that the arresting officer had come to court with previously undisclosed CCTV evidence. This meant legal argument as to whether or not it could be shown and another adjournment while the magistrates decided. Eventually the court heard the case at 1.30pm and Magistrates returned with their verdict after 5.00pm"
This is interesting. Surely, the defence team would've wanted it shown to give their client a fighting chance of proving it was little more than a case of high spirits that got a bit over enthusiastic? Seems they shot themselves in the foot by opposing it and left the court to decide on conflicting statements.
Mikel Bee

Norfolkbee wrote:
BarnetSteve wrote:So a steward gives evidence he was hit and a policeman gives evidence to say the Grimsby fan was aggressive.

This is interesting. Surely, the defence team would've wanted it shown to give their client a fighting chance of proving it was little more than a case of high spirits that got a bit over enthusiastic? Seems they shot themselves in the foot by opposing it and left the court to decide on conflicting statements.
You'd have thought so. Must be pretty damning evidence.
GRH

becbee wrote:There is no evidence that the Grimsby fan attacked the steward with the inflatable, let alone "aggressively". Even those of us who were at the match couldn't comment on that. All we saw were Grimsby fans going mad celebrating, just as we'd have done if the score line had been reversed.
Apart from the evidence of the police officer that witnessed the incident?

I'm sure almost all the Grimsby fans were just madly celebrating, which is why they all got to leave the ground on their own terms and didn't have a day in court.
John_c

Shark attack

I know I've been a bit tongue in cheek about all this but there's been a debate on Facebook on this one as well.

Neven, a steward at The Hive, has just posted this.
I just want to comment to say that I was a steward in the Grimsby standing north terrace, and I and others got assaulted by them, and I don't mean it in a way like they seriously beat us up, and I also don't mean it in a way like I'm a pathetic weak wimp of a loser, as I've read the comments and quite a few of you are against the steward, the problem is, you should know the full and whole story properly before judging, and that goes for any case or situation, or even seeing what happened, with your own eyes in person, or on video.

It wasn't a very serious incident perhaps, but it could have escalated into one. It wasn't a one off accident, they repeatedly assaulted us and pushed us around. I was a steward there for the last couple of years, and I'm sure some of you would recognise me, basically since the move to the Hive, and I left work recently because of the arrival of my newborn for now, but apart from that, that match was a big, big, big factor in making my decision to leave.

Barnet's stewarding security is generally inadequate, especially for situations like these, and it's not just at Barnet but generally speaking across the board in the industry of stewarding security. In this particular case, we were actually in the danger zone, even though nothing happened in this case in a serious way, such as a serious attack and/or injury, it could have easily happened, as the staff did not have sufficient protection. As you may know, fans are meant to be in the standing section properly, standing behind the first standing barrier, but they weren't and refused during the game, they were amongst us, pushing us around and into the pitch side barrier, etcetera. Also, the hitting of the inflatables wasn't a one off or accidental either, I'm not saying there may not have been some accidents, but generally, a lot were intentional and it seemed a lot were with the intention to provoke.

I personally was very close into losing my temper and getting into a fight with the Grimsby fans, to which I may well have gotten into a seriously bad situation, being ganged up on by dozens of the away fans that were supporting each other, then I'm sure that there would be a high chance of the situation being seen as 'serious'.

The situation was out of control, and we were being assaulted, such as pushed around, intentionally hit by items, being provoked to react, etcetera, so I had enough and took my own initiative to jump over the pitch side barrier to stand on the pitch. Soon afterwards, some fans went on the pitch, so I and my senior supervisor attempted to restrain them, as it is, obviously, against the rules to go on the pitch, and I'm sure it's illegal too, but the fans managed to pull them out of the situation so they escaped and the police didn't help at all. I think that the police should have stepped in to help and control the situation, and I've thought that ever since the situation happened, but they did nothing.

I would like to say that I'm making this long post to hopefully help make some of you understand the situation better, and maybe to make some of you realise that it might be better to know situations better before making judgements, etcetera, and this goes for everything in life in general.

I understand everyone has an opinion, and I know people make opinions without knowing things through properly, that's human nature. For all I know, maybe the steward wasn't 'assaulted', maybe he was too sensitive, maybe he was too strict, maybe he was too quick to pull the trigger, and then maybe you guys are right, but I don't know his personal situation and I don't know what happened directly to him in depth enough to make a valid and respectful comment and opinion, and neither do you lot, I'm presuming.

In addition, I'm a Barnet fan myself, just to let you know, and I'm open to replies. Also, I like and told some of the fans how good the inflatables were, and I can see the funny side too, I can find humour in nearly every situation, but I'd like to say that there may be a time for fun and humour and and a time for seriousness sometimes, although I know if you think the whole thing is ridiculous and stupid then some people would just troll away.

I'll finish this long post here, thanks.
Good to hear from someone who was actually there.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
BeesKnees

Second that. Sounds like the stewards were completely swamped.

Like I said before, the sooner the seats are put in then the sooner the stewards will have an easier ride.
beew

I do find some sympathy from this guy, but if I applied to be a doorman at a pub I'd expect a bit of agro and would only apply if I thought I could take care of myself. . Stewards are no different as they've traditionally taken over the role police officers used to be employed in, but due to costs they've been outsourced. His comment below tells us lots about the incident, once you take away the sight of a police uniform you need to replace it with someone who looks like an authorative figure. I suspect this is where it all goes wrong.

Barnet's stewarding security is generally inadequate, especially for situations like these, and it's not just at Barnet but generally speaking across the board in the industry of stewarding security.
John_c

He's also making the valid point that those Grimsby fans weren't the angels that the press is trying to make us believe.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
becbee

I think this is a very interesting post. As I said before, none of us home fans were in a position to see properly what was going on in the away end. I suspect many away fans couldn't see properly either.

I still don't understand why anybody would attack a steward following their team scoring an injury time winner?!
BeesKnees

How many of the Grimsby fans do you think actually broke the law and could've been arrested if the Police had decided to really go for it?

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/foot ... _offences/
Norfolkbee

BarnetSteve wrote:How many of the Grimsby fans do you think actually broke the law and could've been arrested if the Police had decided to really go for it?

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/foot ... _offences/
Of course, the Plod could've invoked the Public Order Act, which the police used or misused during the Miners Strike.
barnetpete

7 pages on this?!!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
MajorBrownEye

barnetpete wrote:7 pages on this?!!
It's not called the close season for nothing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
BEEGONE

Anyone remember the steward that used to post on netbees?

Simon I think his name was, looked like Peter Kay, lost the plot over something and quit following Barnet...