This could be an opportunity

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Beegate

This could be an opportunity

Hi Everyone,

Well we are all nervous about Saturday and I am trying to keep optimistic. Some of us think we will survive and some don't but whatever the outcome, I think there is one thing we can all agree on - we need more people coming through the gates next season whichever division we are in.

Before I go any further I should like to point out that I am not a regular visitor to Underhill these days - I can only make it occasionally and this is due to family reasons which I am not going to go into. But I will be going on Saturday because it is a such a critical game.

I still remember the Torquay game. I brought my best mate along and we stood in the East Terrace where I normally stood at the time. But he was summarily unimpressed. He was unimpressed by the treatment dished out to some supporters by those who I would consider 'regular' supporters. I had always told my mate how Barnet was a welcoming, family club, but after hearing phrases like " what the f**k are you doing here?" I had to doubt this myself.

I have read on this forum about how some of the 'regulars' were not able to get in because it was so full that day - in my opinion, those with season tickets/pre-paid tickets etc should definitely have been given priority. That anger I can understand but was that not the club managing its entrance criteria badly?

I have also read about how people who visit the occasional game or are abroad cannot be genuine supporters, phrases like hangers on and the like, which I find disappointing.

Well down to the point of this thread. I will be there on Saturday and I will probably not be recognised by anyone except those who were involved in the KBA campaign a while back because I was able to help in the best way I could at the time. Others will be completely new faces. This will be an opportunity for all supporters to show why those new faces should come back. Even if that is a small proportion, it's worth welcoming them rather than berating them, isn't it?
johnp

Re: This could be an opportunity

I have been nervous since last Saturday and can't wait for tomorrow.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property
Services
02grisf

Interesting post, which I agree with for the most part. At such a crucial stage in the season we should be welcoming anyone who shows enough interest in the club to attend even for the first time. I know barnet supporters who live in Hereford (ha ha) and barnet supporters for sixty years, season ticket and all even though they can only make a couple of home games a season. People have different circumstances surrounding their ability to visit underhill regularly, and I agree all support is welcome. :gd:
barnetboy1

Once a Bee,always a Bee, as far as I'm concerned.and Welcome Home!
amberforever

Here's an idea....how about playing pre match, Peters & Lee " Welcome home" at full notch!!!??? Should get us all swaying with a good vibe and make the old faces feel a part again!!!
Los Angeles Bee

I've made it back to London in time for this game!

Wasn't due back until later this month, but I managed to change my ticket. I got charged £100 for the privilege, but what the hell. It'll be worth it if Barnet stay up. :wacko:

I've been a Barnet fan since 1995. I was 14 at the time of my first game. I went to every home game and a handful of away games up until around 2001. But then life priorities kinda changed - university/study, work, relationships...etc. Plus the old school friends who I used to go to games with stopped going for one reason or another. Relegation to the conference obviously didn't help matters. I think a lot of people turned their back on Barnet at that time.

But I never really abandoned Barnet totally. I would still go to a few of games a season, and in the past couple of years I had been going to more and more games, when I can. Every time I'd witness another abysmal performance from the Bees, I'd tell myself that this is the last time I'm coming. But I can't do it. There's always something that draws me back. Underhill was the first football stadium I visited as a kid and I always feel very nostalgic when I remember those times. I don't support another team. I'm not a full-time Arsenal or Spurs fan and Barnet are just my bit on the side. When people ask me what team I support I tell 'em Barnet. I must admit I do get annoyed when I see people at Barnet games wearing replica shirts of other teams (Arsenal mostly), but I guess that will only change once Barnet reach the Premier League. :D

Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow. Whatever happens, I'll still be coming to a "handful" of games next season. :gd:
barnetboy1

http://youtu.be/Ww4v2cP-MDo

Rock and Roll never sounded so good to my Mother In Law!
DerekRocholl

Beegate, that is one of the best posts I have seen on a Barnet messageboard in many a moon. Absolutely spot on. I won't be there tomorrow because I have a hotel and restaurant to run and someone has decided to get married here on the day (how inconsiderate of them ! ). Like everyone I desparately want us to get the right outcome tomorrow but if we don't I just hope that it is an ocassion which encourages everyone who turns up, whether they be regulars, long distance die hards, lapsed hoepfuls or even complete newbies to want to return again and again. The core supporters have a big role to play in this. COYBs
mduffy_918

I have to say that when we played Plymouth in the cup a few seasons back Me and my girlfriend at the time were told that there was no more space for us to get in (and no, we weren't huge) even though we had made every Saturday home game all season, It really pissed me off that all of a sudden 3,000 people had realized there was a club in Barnet, I understand that the club need new faces through the door and I don't blame them for wanting to see the bigger games, but surely this is something that the club need to organize better in future, that allow regulars the first refusal then the tickets go to anyone else. I hope that it is a full house and that people who go regularly have all got their tickets and then there are new comers who enjoy the experience who want to come back.
As long as it's fair, the more the merrier.
The Future's Bright, The Future's Amber!
becbee

IMO the club were at fault with the Torquay match but they learned from that mistake, as did those of us who were locked out that day. If anybody gets locked out today it will be their own fault for not buying tickets in advance.
MajorBrownEye

mduffy_918 wrote:I have to say that when we played Plymouth in the cup a few seasons back Me and my girlfriend at the time were told that there was no more space for us to get in (and no, we weren't huge) even though we had made every Saturday home game all season, It really pissed me off that all of a sudden 3,000 people had realized there was a club in Barnet,
Guilty as charged!

Sorry, I was one of the fairweather friends returning for that game, it coincided with a trip back to the UK - I was delighted to be able to go and to get to see a great win. I also took a friend who had never been to Underhill before.

I enjoyed the fixture that resulted from that win too ;o) I'm sure you weren't locked out of that one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.