Sam Walker

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Sam Walker

To put it very politely he didn't have a good match, the blunder for the third goal put paid to any hope of recovery. So I'm not defending his performance. I don't particuarly rate O'Brien but it's a no-brainer that he must play v Port Vale.

However I thought the treatment Walker received from some of our supporters was dreadful. What did they think we stood to gain from it? The lad is a teenager with no previous competitive experience. Yet there he was, standing only yards away from us, totally exposed to loud abuse, he would have heard every word that was said. It's probably a miracle that he didn't commit any more blunders.

I also noted that after the final whistle, he shook hands with the Accy players but not one Barnet player spoke to him. I don't suppose his outburst directed towards the defence after the third goal would have helped but it wasn't a good sign. That's another reason why he shouldn't play next week.
traffic

Re: Sam Walker

It wasnt just the third goal that was his fault? the first one was as well? His positioning and reflexes where poor for those two goals. The second goal was a deflection and not his fault.
But I also do agree that shouting at him during the game dont help in any way.
CrawleyBee

he is a younh lad yes, but the fact remains that yesterday wasn't the first errors he has made. At the moment he is not a very good keeper, he has a lot of work to do. Agree shotuing at him during the game is not the answer, but it is frusrating as we have a far superior keeper sitting on the bench.

good luck to the lad, but at the moment he should be nowhere near our first team.
Formerly Watfordbee
Milkfloat

Why on earth do have we a loan player in goal when we have a better goalie who belongs to us on the bench? No disrespect to the lad but, whilst this may be useful experience to him, its our clubs future that going down the swanee as he learns his trade.
dangerous

O'Brien's mum is sure to be biased. The rest of us would say Walker is playing because he's the better keeper. Also I thought O'Brien had broken his finger and only played at Aldershot due to painkilling injections. Presumably the same applied at Bury.by becbee
23 Apr 2011, 10:22

Forum: General Barnet Chat
Topic: Will Deering get a start Saturday?
Replies: 23
Views: 754

That quote was becbee last week, how quickly opinions change. Booing your own players is always poor and pointless. Why was walker playing in the first place ? Whos decision was it to drop O'Brien after a mom performance at Aldershot and Bury ? some of us watch a lot of football, and i got slaughtered for saying this, it was'nt personal id seen them both play youth football, and but for injury O'Brien would have had several England caps. Walker despite being at Chelsea has never reached those heights yet. Again the question must be who dropped O'Brien ? because its they who may have cost Barnet a league place not Walker, who regardless would have been doing his best . And no im not his mum.either becbee, before you make another schoolboy joke, its people like you who destroy these kids.

: First signing?
lol and was chelseas second choice capture when o' brien turned them down twice...never played international football and always been considered over sized as he struggles tio get down low...not in o'briens class ; by dangerous
23 Mar 2011, 21:06

Forum: General Barnet Chat
Topic: First signing?
Replies: 9
Views: 660
kingpinfid

Week in, week out I hear (or watch) Walker being beaten by a low shot or shots from outside the area. It's strange to find a young keeper who is strong at collecting crosses and decision making generally, but struggles with shot stopping - usually it would be the other way round.

Despite some decent performances from Devera and Leach in recent weeks, we haven't kept a clean sheet for a long time. So I would make some changes for the Port Vale game, particularly in goal and in both full-back positions.
John_c

I also noted that after the final whistle, he shook hands with the Accy players but not one Barnet player spoke to him. I don't suppose his outburst directed towards the defence after the third goal would have helped but it wasn't a good sign. That's another reason why he shouldn't play next week.[/quote]

Are you new here? Abusing our own players is what we do best.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
becbee

Sorry Dangerous but how on earth can I post about how it's wrong to abuse a 19 year old then you say it's people like me who destroy these kids? Or do you think I caused mortal offence to O'Brien for commenting on his broken finger and how his mum was likely to be biased?
slopebee

Have to say I also thought when Walker came in he was authoritative, strong and it was his confident upright bearing
that carried weight over the less powerful O'brien for me.Or so it appeared, that halo has slipped and while Liam was a
young England prospect who is yet to live up to his youthful hype, he may just be the call for Saturday. 50/50 for me and
i'd still probably pick the wrong one!
neil1972

I was at the oxford game & i think some of the treatment directed to young Sam Walker is poor, give the guy a break for fuck's sake, why do so many people on this forum pick on the wrong people, i had a guy near mean bemoaning the fact that Jake Cole wasn't playing, well that's football, you take you chance & in this case Walker got the no.1 jersey & has kept it, at 19 i think he's done pretty well in the circumstances with a leaky defence in front of him

I don't see the point in picking on guy's like Sam,pick on the stupid chairman who got us in the shit in the 1st place by falling for Stimson's patter & then not having the balls to realise how much of a mistake he made, he should have sacked him in november got in an experienced managed like Northampton & to a certain extent Lincoln have done although in the latter case terminal rot may have already set in if they get relegated instead of us.

At a time when we need to get behind whoever is in the team its piss poor to berate every mistake that's made particularly when a guy's trying make it in the hard world of professional football

Neil

Neil
mcleod23

Also he never talks during the match to his defence to give instructions in which he can see on the pitch.
Milkfloat

Abusing him is completely daft and counter productive. However;
- An untried and untested goalie was never a good idea in our position. An experienced old timer would have been a far better bet.
- The reason for having him on loan seems to have passed some time ago.
- If there is not much to choose between them, it makes sense to play the player we actually own.
ape1968

I have to agree with Becbee - and I was one of the people having a go at Walker yesterday. I don't believe it is anything other than counterproductive to have a go at our own players (however bad they are doing) - but yesterday I think I did let my anger and frustration get the better of me and I have to say I'm sorry for this. I don't think Walker played well or conducted himself well yesterday but it doesn't justify my reaction.
"The feeling of stepping out for Barnet for the first time was the same as a Champions League match. It is just joy"

Edgar Davids
BEE428

What's done is done. The important thing is we learn from this. Young Sam Walker gave his best but didn't cut it. He has probably undertaken one of the biggest learning curves in his professional life and would have had to learn at some point that professional football is dog-eat-dog .The club is more important then a players emotions!
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
amberforever

PLEASE Graz.......do not play Walker for our final game. How he fails to stop low shots to either side of him is a mystery and probably to him as well judging by his expression. Also his attitude needs maturing re his recent sending off for throwing the ball away. I would not abuse his performance personally. We are on the brink of crunch time this season. His time will come but with all respect to him, please use O'Brien instead.