Bury v Barnet - A View from the Press Box

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
boloyboy

Bury v Barnet - A View from the Press Box

Needed to get up at 7.00am to catch the 7.44am train from Ely to Manchester Piccadilly, so my brain naturally wakes me up at 06.14 exactly and i am unable to sleep due to nervous excitment about the day. (Thankyou Brain)

Right off to the station kiss goodbye to wife and baby boy and set off on the 15 hour round trip. On the way up on the train i write up my pre match preview for the game and swat up on my research for the game Ryan Lowe top scorer in the league, 100% record under caretaker manager Richie Barker, Bees are going to have to be on their metal today.

After accidentally nodding off for about an hour and reading the paper from back to front (the only way to do it), plus buying a coffee on the train, which was awful, I knew it would taste horrible but for some reason still went with the idea, its amazing how boredom can make you part with your money.

Arrived at Manchester Piccadilly at 11.36 and now to brave the Metrolink to Bury whilst waiting for the tram/bus/not really sure there was 3 idiots screaming at each other and yelling at everyone so that was nice, luckily they soon left and the rest of the journey was ok. Arrived Gigg Lane 12.30pm on the nose. Gigg lane is a very old ground slightly run down but plenty of character and i would rather go to a ground like that than these new grounds which all look the same and have no history. Rob Robertson pops up to the press box for a chat and then it is down to business as i am on air with my 10 second pre match preview.

Team arrive and wander out onto the pitch, nice sunny day and the team seem relaxed enough, Graz appears in a suit as does Sumo and Anwar all looking very dappa (yep even Sumo). Team sheets arrive 2.00pm and i skim through the Bees Line Up and see that Southam is in for Deering and obviously O'Brian for Walker in between the sticks, back on air for main preview and team news whilst watching the Bees warm up, Graz has now decided to change into traing top/shorts etc so he can go through last minute instructions on the pitch.

Just before Kick Off Rob Whipple and Ben Kentish come up and grab a pew infront of the press box to cheer the bees on, Mark Hughes was also at Gigg lane to support the troops

Kick off and Bury out of the traps very fast although Barnet nearly score through Kabba and have 2 half tidy claims for handballs in the box. 2 goals in 5 minutes kill the contest and although Barnet were far better second half barring a Marshall screamer that hits the post the. keeper was rarely threatened

Spoke to Graz for the first time after the game (said hello before but never had a decent chat with him), you may well have heard the interview but he was very honest and open about the performance pulled no punches and seems determined to make his mark in the next few games

Pack my kit up head to the station bump into Effie Sodje at Bury and chatted to him about the game and Bury generally etc really nice bloke spoke like a fan not a player if that makes sense. Went our seperate ways at Manchester station, watched a bit of the Fa Cup Semi, caught the goal by City (weird how 99% of people in Manchester were cheering) and then caught the 18.44 back to Ely.

On the way back train rammed with Sheff Utd fans so cramped up the end with my KFC and about 2 inches to eat it (the glamorous life of the commentator eh, bet Motty doesnt have to do this) bump into a bees fan Sam (told you that you would get a mention) chat footy which really helped with the journey and spoke with a couple of others on the train and then home at 22.10pm.
But the only power source capable of generating 1.21 gigawatts of electricity is a bolt of lightning (Or a Yakubu clearance over the East Terrace)
BarnetBoy

Re: Bury v Barnet - A View from the Press Box

Thanks Karl, another interesting insight :D
rorybee

Really good read, all the little details make it for me. Hope they keep coming in the last few games! :gd:
montydog

[quote="boloyboy"]Needed to get up at 7.00am to catch the 7.44am train from Ely to Manchester Piccadilly, so my brain naturally wakes me up at 06.14 exactly and i am unable to sleep due to nervous excitement about the day. (Thankyou Brain)
Right off to the station kiss goodbye to wife and baby boy and set off on the 15 hour round trip."

Great report, I hope you have something good to report after Gillingham.