lets be realistic and put it into perspective

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Monsieur Abeille

Re: lets be realistic and put it into perspective

GRH wrote:
The problem with an oral acceptance is proving it.
not when its been admitted in TV
John_Carp1

What matters is 'what' was agreed, (i.e. the terms), not that a verbal contract was agreed. A witness would help our case. Given the length of the contract, it would be a nonsense to pursue it except for moral reasons.
Tony Kleanthous has not asked you your opinion on The Hive. This is because he doesn't care about your opinion. I think your opinion should matter.

Tony Kleanthous OUT.
Monsieur Abeille

A statement from Allen that it was for 5 weeks then should be adequate.
John_c

It's fairly simple (and now pointless).

I'm fairly sure that that was all it was. An agreement for 9 games. Allen has chosen to walk out on it, just as he did last time. He is not an honourable man, he's a two faced liar who has lied to us all - again!

He's just gone way above Arber and Cottee in the "throw things at the TV/Radio when he's on" stakes.

Twat.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
lfolfo

There is an element of poor management from the club in not setting things up properly but even the worst run organisations can’t plan for this level of non-integrity from a staff individual.

As for Cottee, it was a long time ago but the ultimate blame lies with the chairman for not properly getting rid of John Still who was heavily involved with the side and not letting Cottee get on with it-having two managers never works. When we won 7-0 v Blackpool that year I’d have been disappointed if we made only the playoffs, ended up going down! At least this year the R word has been on the agenda since watching the first match.
barnetpete

I don't understand why people are getting all worked up about contracts, implied or otherwise, signed or unsigned etc etc...you could argue he was a new employee and thus on a probation period and could walk out anyway. The 'contract side' is neither here nor there.

The integrity of the man is Zero, he said he would take over for 5 weeks and then review the situation with the Chairman at the end. TK gave him a chance to put himself in the shop window and hopefully help us out in the process...we may not have been able to match his wage demands anyway, especially if we had gone down... and if he had stayed I knew he would disappear at the earliest opportunity, but even i was surprised it was this quick.

FACT is though we picked up 7 from possible 9 which has now put us in a better position at staying up than a few weeks ago, and the club, fans and players have found a buzz and belief of survival....forget about that man, he's gone, he's not worth the abuse, what's important now is what is ahead...as the d*ckhead would tweet...."15 from 5"
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
WhetstoneBee

All the comparisons with other jobs are irrelevant. Football is an industry that breeds, and requires, a sense of loyalty to your employer, an affinity with the club and the fans that go with it. If a football club fell into the same category as, say, Boots, then on your days off from your current job you'd go back to your old call centre to see how they were doing (former players often go back to their old clubs to watch games), and you'd check the Boots share price daily to see how they were getting on (they also tend to look out for the score of their old clubs) - I'm guessing you don't?! Football is one of the only jobs where you (should) build a real bond with the organisation you work for. Yes it is primarily your employer but in most cases it becomes more than that, you start genuinely caring about the success of the club and want to do the best for the supporters - just look at how many players retain a link with a former club after they retire (Graz being a great example). That connection/sense of loyalty is what people like Martin Allen don't understand, and because of that the football world would be a better place without them. As I told him on Twitter, for me he embodies everything that is wrong with modern football.
MajorBrownEye

Regarding proving the verbal contract, both the club and the man produced a lot of publicity saying that he was going to be with us for 8 games. Aside from that, TK is alluding to there having been a contract.

Going back to the CV debate. Football management is one of the few industries where getting sacked doesn't reflect terribly on your CV. How often is a manager very publicly dismissed only to walk in to another job?

IMHO acting in an honourable way goes a lot further. I have been in a position where I was offered a job with an instant start, but I refused as I felt I had a commitment to my current job - although i was not contractually tied there at all. What happened? My new employers respected my loyalty, they waited. I took the old job to a good stage to hand over and both sourced and briefed my successor.

Admittedly, I was not up against a deadline like the end of the season that is looming for both Barnet and Notts County.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
nbbbee

Martin Allen himself said on his tv interview for late kick off that he had a contract / letter of employment which suggests it was in writing. I guess a contract is only worth as much as the other party one enters a contract into with and Martin Allen is clearly not worth the time of day.

On the interview Martin Allen came across like David Brent, this is something noted on a Notts County message board and David Brent was anything but a good manager. Also what has Martin Allen ever really achieved in football management, he didn't finish the job he started here first time round, I concede he kept Brentford up and they punched above their weight but they failed twice in the play offs. At MK Dons they should have gone up automatically with their budget but lost in the play offs. Not fair to judge him on what happened at Leicester as he was only there for 4 games, at Cheltenham his record was appalling.

I am grateful to him helping us to 7 points out of 9 but the players don't need Martin Allen to stay up from here on in.

It would also be interesting to see what would happen should Notts County's bad run continue over the next seven games. Given their chairman as already sacked two managers this season and Paul Ince for a bud run over 7 games, it isn't inconcievable Martin Allen could get sacked at the end of the season. That would possibly be a case of a Mad Dog biting himself on his own backside and would be particularly amusing even more so when we stay up. Oh the irony leaving Barnet to pay the bills, but only being able to pay the bills until November, assuming he gets his 6 month pay off from May.
amberforever

His departure gag after 3 games was a bit late for Comic relief but would have fitted the bill.
Shame really as just 8 games, if he would have saved us, it would look great on his cv in the close season for other clubs to look at.
It reminds me of someone who wants to re decorate the whole house, pulls one room apart, gets fed up and starts on another!
As I heard when he joined us, "its like using illegal drugs"......the pusher now has withdrawn form the deal.
Lets REALLY get behind Graz and Gary now.
mickey_one

I am very surprised to hear that Martin has left us for a job at Boots. Personally, I wish him all the best although I never thought he was as good as Mark stimson. Many years ago I used to be a lawyer but I can't remember if it was in the filed of contract. Anyway, from what I vaguely recall for a contract to be valid you had to have a weapon and a target, also an agreed fee for the hit. Maybe, it's all changed now. These days I forget many things.

MULLERY OUT.